• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

This is hilarious. We were so lucky with injuries last year that now we get piled on. There is no getting ahead; it all evens out in the end.

The Rangers are weathering the storm pretty well at this point.  At some point Fox and Chytil will be back and they will likely offset anything that happens in the interim.

9 hours ago, mbob said:

😳 that not on me!

Don't worry Bob...I got ya covered here:

This game is a lock!  A new goalie in there means extra responsibility to play better, and take more precaution to not making mistakes.  We owe the Wild a good ass kicking anyway.  I wasn't too damn impressed with them Saturday night, and they can be had if we stay the hell out of the box.

It's sticking to the script and not being dumb:

• Get pucks deep
  • Finish checks
  • Get pucks to the net
  • Play the 1-3-1

Did I mention, STAY THE FUCK OUTTA THE BOX!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

This is a great sign for this team. With this team defensive structure that Lav is implementing it doesn’t seem to matter who is in net. Feels like those really good teams that can win with no names in net (Vegas/Colorado/St Louis when they won the cup). Tremendous sign for the Rangers. Probably a bad sign for Shesty but, like a lot of the main posters in here say, you never want to pay a goalie a large percentage of the salary cap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This is a great sign for this team. With this team defensive structure that Lav is implementing it doesn’t seem to matter who is in net. Feels like those really good teams that can win with no names in net (Vegas/Colorado/St Louis when they won the cup). Tremendous sign for the Rangers. Probably a bad sign for Shesty but, like a lot of the main posters in here say, you never want to pay a goalie a large percentage of the salary cap.

What I'm also finding out is that this "new" system (structure) also tends to favor a team game, and doesn't rely on talent alone to win games.  So if injuries are present, like now, the team plays it's system to accomodate the loss of said talent to be successful.

Who knew this "coaching" thing would be so helpful!!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Igor does something very few goalies in the NHL can do: he wins games for you when the team is on a downer.  You just need a few wins like that a year and the goalies contribution is priceless.

I expect Shesterkin will get re-signed as soon as he is eligible.  It will probably depend on where the team is and how the next young goalie in the system looks at the time.

30 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I wouldn't buy a Shesty jersey, to be honest. I can't see a world where they go down the same path they did with Lundqvist where they basically said before the ink was dry "We had no choice."

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

Igor does something very few goalies in the NHL can do: he wins games for you when the team is on a downer.  You just need a few wins like that a year and the goalies contribution is priceless.

I expect Shesterkin will get re-signed as soon as he is eligible.  It will probably depend on where the team is and how the next young goalie in the system looks at the time.

No knock on Shesty at all. Best goalie in the league and I get what he brings but if I’m paying $10 million on a player, it can’t be on a goalie.  I’m saying that a great defensive system can make a mediocre goalie (like georgiev) still be good enough to get a team deep into the playoffs.  If that’s what Lav is developing here, then shesty’s next contract becomes overpriced and unnecessary. 

• Bullseye 1