• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

Othmann is totally going to outplay Lafrenière.  By a lot. It's going to be a disgusting display of how unspectacular Fatso really is. 

Start thinking of ways to unload Lafrenière and what they realistically should be targeting as wants/needs. Rookie is going to push his way through. 

• ALEXIS! 1

5 hours ago, siddious said:

Yea but this is not Othman’s time. Illl be pissed if they don’t give him at least one AHL season.

Game Over No GIF by CBC

Im banking on him being more ready than our other top prospects were at this stage of their careers. I see a kid that can fit one way or another.

That's just what I see. More of a feeling,  due to the fact that I've seen little of his actual Jrs games. The little I've seen gives me confidence that he's ahead of where some people say he is or should be. 

I mean he's gone from fans saying "hes probably not making the team and shouldn't",  to management saying "he'll be getting a look in the top 6 at RW in camp".

IDK, sounds like the organization has higher expectations than the fans do. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Game Over No GIF by CBC

Im banking on him being more ready than our other top prospects were at this stage of their careers. I see a kid that can fit one way or another.

That's just what I see. More of a feeling,  due to the fact that I've seen little of his actual Jrs games. The little I've seen gives me confidence that he's ahead of where some people say he is or should be. 

I mean he's gone from fans saying "hes probably not making the team and shouldn't",  to management saying "he'll be getting a look in the top 6 at RW in camp".

IDK, sounds like the organization has higher expectations than the fans do. 

It's because they have no one at all in the pipeline at RW. All their prospects are LW. And it's smart to try and move Othmann to RW because of what's happening with Laf now. There's just more opportunities at RW. Doesn't mean he's making the team. 

• Keeps it 100 2

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's because they have no one at all in the pipeline at RW. All their prospects are LW. And it's smart to try and move Othmann to RW because of what's happening with Laf now. There's just more opportunities at RW. Doesn't mean he's making the team. 

Playing all preseason at RW and then a whole season in Hartford at RW should give us the best opportunity to get him acclimated and make him successful where we need him. No way they throw Laf to the wolves after a positive preseason showing. Will be fun to watch them compete though.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

My response to @siddious was more about his take that "now isn't Othmann's time and that he (siddious) would be mad if Othmann doesn't spend the season in Hartford. (paraphrase)"

I suggested moving Othmann to RW or C at the start of last camp... I get WHY they are trying to see if he can move to the right  There's no question there. But the top 6 was looking more like a toss up between Kakko and Wheeler,  with a sprinkle of an experiment of Lafrenière.  I think Othmann is going to show more than Lafrenière.  

It's also strange in that moving Lafreniere to the right, opens a hole a 3rd line LW, where Othmann could have lined up easily. I guess Cuylle gets a long look there? 

Berard is in camp and could have been afforded the opportunity to fill out RW depth for camp/preseason.  

I feel like this is a competition.  One that Lafrenière won't handle well. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Br4d said:

Anybody with half a pulse will get a look at RW in the top 6 because we don't have anybody who has established the right to be there.  Even Wheeler is getting long in the tooth and might well get out performed for one of those slots.

I don't think that's accurate. Kakko, Wheeler, and Lafrenière is all you would need to get looks at . Maybe Vesey....

Throwing Othmann in there is a smart move because he needs to change positions anyway,  but I don't think they want to plug just anybody in there during camp. If that were the case Berard is in camp, Sykora too.

Lafreniere moving to RW opens a LW spot. A spot that fits Othmann or Cuylle if they wanted to.  So, why move Othmann over, if there's a spot cleared for him at LW? 

I like the move no matter what. Either one could greatly benefit from a switch. I'm just saying that I think Othmann will look better. I think he IS better. 

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't think that's accurate. Kakko, Wheeler, and Lafrenière is all you would need to get looks at . Maybe Vesey....

Based on what we know none of those 4 guys is a cinch to be in the top 6 at RW past the 10 game mark or so.

We have a Center we know will be in the top 6 and two guys who pretty much guarantee we will have another top 6 Center.  We have two top 6 LW's good to go.

We have nobody that we know can hold down RW on line 1 and maybe 1 of the 4 between them who we think will hold down RW on line 2.  We've got loads of 3rd line quality players but until a couple of them step forward no top 6 RW's.

Kakko is still a very good prospect but he's been given multiple opportunities on line 1 and hasn't held on to them.  Lafreniere hasn't really gotten a hard look on line 1 and the time he spent on line 1a looked pretty good but ultimately GG went back to the kid line.  Wheeler is an old dude who stepped down 3 years ago and is likely to step down again soon.  Othmann will be trying out for a longshot at making the Rangers this season at his off-wing.

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Based on what we know none of those 4 guys is a cinch to be in the top 6 at RW past the 10 game mark or so.

We have a Center we know will be in the top 6 and two guys who pretty much guarantee we will have another top 6 Center.  We have two top 6 LW's good to go.

We have nobody that we know can hold down RW on line 1 and maybe 1 of the 4 between them who we think will hold down RW on line 2.  We've got loads of 3rd line quality players but until a couple of them step forward no top 6 RW's.

Kakko is still a very good prospect but he's been given multiple opportunities on line 1 and hasn't held on to them.  Lafreniere hasn't really gotten a hard look on line 1 and the time he spent on line 1a looked pretty good but ultimately GG went back to the kid line.  Wheeler is an old dude who stepped down 3 years ago and is likely to step down again soon.  Othmann will be trying out for a longshot at making the Rangers this season at his off-wing.

Yeah no.

Kakko or Wheeler are most definitely locks for a top 6 spot. I don't know who else you think can magically slide up in there, besides Lafrenière and now Othmann. 

There's 3 common sense sure things as guys that will play RW in the top 6. Kakko, Wheeler and Lafrenière are it. Othmann stands a chance because he's that good. Lafrenière is an option only by process of elimination. They really need to find a way to get him in with the top talent and hope he can elevate his game or atleast be competent. 

What you see is what you get for RW. Not sure who or what you imagine happening this year. They have no cap space. There likely isn't any big move coming. This is the team give or take a 4th liner and a 6th and 7th D man. Maybe a young player gets a 3rd line LW spot..

Who are you thinking comes in here and takes a top 6 RW spot?

It's not about who is coming in.  If none of those guys plays to top 3 RW we will get a placeholder until the deadline just like we've had the last two seasons.

Kakko, Wheeler, Vesey, any of those 3 could easily just line up and play on the top line and not kill the Rangers in the process.  None of them are likely to be a top 3 quality RW but they wouldn't kill us playing there.  Same story on line 2 which on the Rangers is line 1a.

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

It's not about who is coming in.  If none of those guys plays to top 3 RW we will get a placeholder until the deadline just like we've had the last two seasons.

Kakko, Wheeler, Vesey, any of those 3 could easily just line up and play on the top line and not kill the Rangers in the process.  None of them are likely to be a top 3 quality RW but they wouldn't kill us playing there.  Same story on line 2 which on the Rangers is line 1a.

So Lafrenière should play 1st line LW after 3 straight years of futility. But a veteran like Wheeler who just put up 55 points in 72 games and a guy like Kakko who is pacing Lafrenière  points wise, but plays a much more well rounded game are not likely to be top 3 quality?  If none of them play good, they'll get a placeholder until the deadline? Who? How? 

I don't understand your thinking. Like at all.  You'll talk up a player who has disappointed greatly as a 1OA.   But you are already punting on Wheeler and even Kakko.