• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Pete said:

Embarrassing for who? People on the internet who hate the team anyway? Stop it. 

Agreed. It's over hated anyway. It just may not look great right now. lol The Rangers have had several great comebacks in their recent playoff history. They even came back down 3-1 in consecutive series which had never been done before.

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

They even came back down 3-1 in consecutive series which had never been done before.

They have never come back down 3-1 in consecutive series and that is something that has, in fact, been done before (Minnesota in 2004).

3 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

They have never come back down 3-1 in consecutive series and that is something that has, in fact, been done before (Minnesota in 2004).

My error. They were the first to do in consecutive years. I got my postseasons melded together. Minnesota was indeed the first to do it in one postseason.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Can't say I don't agree. Why so many? And IS IT to protect egos? 

Trouba, Kreider,  Lindgren and maybe Fox. That's all it should be.  

It’s so strange. I don’t really care that much about letters personally, but it’s obviously something that is respected across the sport.

The only two guys I could see it being about ego are Kreider and Zibanejad. Kreider deserves a letter.

Panarin, despite the talent on ice, seems like the type who wouldn’t even want a letter, nor does he exhibit leadership qualities. Ditto for Fox.

This is the second coach that's keeping the leadership group intact. I don't think either GG or Lavvy would be worried about egos.

Why is there always an assumption that they don't have a good leadership group or that these players aren't leaders?

I don't see this as a big deal that needs commentary from across the league. I'd be much more critical of teams naming 21-year-old captains than I am of this. 

Hopefully unlike the end of the last 2 seasons, the "leadership group" shows up when things matter this season. Teams with 2-0 series leads finish off the other team at an 86.3% clip, (347-55). They did something really bad and hard to do if you have your act together twice in 2 seasons. Rangers and their "no quit" act were the only team among 6 to lose such a series in the 2023 postseason.

Might help if the PP wasn't all about Mika taking a usually errant slapshot from the left that every coach, goalie and defenseman has seen over and over going on 3 seasons. But what the fuck do I know? 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is the second coach that's keeping the leadership group intact. I don't think either GG or Lavvy would be worried about egos.

Why is there always an assumption that they don't have a good leadership group or that these players aren't leaders?

I don't see this as a big deal that needs commentary from across the league. I'd be much more critical of teams naming 21-year-old captains than I am of this. 

GG is watching from the sidelines obviously.  If I were Laviolette I'd have given three players the letter.

Adam Fox is many things but a Captain is not one of them, not even an alternate.  You saw it in the interview when he continually declined to step up on leadership issues.

Note that I am not saying Fox isn't a great positive player but he has not demonstrated leadership at any point as a Ranger and the odds on that changing are low.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

GG is watching from the sidelines obviously.  If I were Laviolette I'd have given three players the letter.

Adam Fox is many things but a Captain is not one of them, not even an alternate.  You saw it in the interview when he continually declined to step up on leadership issues.

Note that I am not saying Fox isn't a great positive player but he has not demonstrated leadership at any point as a Ranger and the odds on that changing are low.

The people closest to the team would disagree with you. 

https://nypost.com/2023/10/08/rangers-adding-adam-fox-as-alternate-captain-was-long-time-coming/

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hopefully unlike the end of the last 2 seasons, the "leadership group" shows up when things matter this season. Teams with 2-0 series leads finish off the other team at an 86.3% clip, (347-55). They did something really bad and hard to do if you have your act together twice in 2 seasons. Rangers and their "no quit" act were the only team among 6 to lose such a series in the 2023 postseason.

Might help if the PP wasn't all about Mika taking a usually errant slapshot from the left that every coach, goalie and defenseman has seen over and over going on 3 seasons. But what the fuck do I know? 

What does this have to do with leadership and killer instinct? Seems like there's two separate topics. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

What does this have to do with leadership and killer instinct? Seems like there's two separate topics. 

Leadership is not the no show effort this team gave in games 5 and 7 of the Devils series.  Suspect around the NHL the "no quit" thing is probably a joke because of that. A bit hard to have this team now talk about leadership. And really it's talk, not what they did or could have done when given a chance in the playoffs. 

Talk is fuckin' cheap. 

Edited by Bugg
  • Applause 1

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Leadership is not the no show effort this team gave in games 5 and 7 of the Devils series.  Suspect around the NHL the "no quit" thing is probably a joke because of that. A bit hard to have this team now talk about leadership. And really it's talk, not what they did or could have done when given a chance in the playoffs. 

Talk is fuckin' cheap. 

It's a PR slogan.  You think the players are skating around chanting no quit during games?

• LMFAO 1