• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Leadership is not the no show effort this team gave in games 5 and 7 of the Devils series.  Suspect around the NHL the "no quit" thing is probably a joke because of that. A bit hard to have this team now talk about leadership. And really it's talk, not what they did or could have done when given a chance in the playoffs. 

Talk is fuckin' cheap. 

I don't think a lot of people understand leadership if you think it means never having a bad stretch at a bad time. If that was the case, take the C from Trouba because he was abjectly terrible at many points of the season.

That said, the letters are for the players, not the fans. I've always had my feelings on who should get the C, but just as a conversation point. Not a hill to die on.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

This was actually way more accurate, and something that could be said whether good or bad lol

@Phil could come up with a way better marketing strategy than fucking No Quit in New York.

Live. Laf. Lose.

Done. Where do I send the invoice?

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2
  • ALEXIS! 1

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

GG is watching from the sidelines obviously.  If I were Laviolette I'd have given three players the letter.

Adam Fox is many things but a Captain is not one of them, not even an alternate.  You saw it in the interview when he continually declined to step up on leadership issues.

Note that I am not saying Fox isn't a great positive player but he has not demonstrated leadership at any point as a Ranger and the odds on that changing are low.

Meh, I don't see it that way.

As one of the most talented guys on the team and a guy that is able to be a game changer. I feel like he is a leader and probably has a voice in the locker-room and on ice. He's as much a leader as Brian Leetch or Adam Graves ever were.  

45 minutes ago, RangerDanger said:

I think I'm more excited to watch that 3rd line than anything else.

I'm with you on that one my man!!!

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Live. Laf. Lose.

Done. Where do I send the invoice?

This is just .....awesome!!!!  LOL

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Hopefully unlike the end of the last 2 seasons, the "leadership group" shows up when things matter this season. Teams with 2-0 series leads finish off the other team at an 86.3% clip, (347-55). They did something really bad and hard to do if you have your act together twice in 2 seasons. Rangers and their "no quit" act were the only team among 6 to lose such a series in the 2023 postseason.

Might help if the PP wasn't all about Mika taking a usually errant slapshot from the left that every coach, goalie and defenseman has seen over and over going on 3 seasons. But what the fuck do I know? 

While I agree that this group has to show more this season.  I don't get the Mika hate and the notion that he misses the net as much as you make it out to be. 

Is the PP predictable? Sure. Is it effective? It has been. Laviolette has already said they will work on ways to give them more variety on how they run it. So, they ARE going to change that. 

27 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think moving Kakko in there over Trocheck makes too much sense to not eventually happen. Better hands in the slot, better shot in general, and it would be nice to mix a lefty into the rotation.

Agree, Trocheck sucks there. My only fear is that KK will be the opposite of Tro. Tro is a chucker, all he does is airmail it towards the net when he has it. It's the least creative kind of offense, so he doesn't match the creativity of the other players on the unit.

On the other hand, KK doesn't shoot when it's painfully obvious that a shot is the right play. They need a guy who will make the right play at the right time. Hopefully it's not a choice between only the 2 of them, and if it's not working out we see Chytil or [gulp] Laf there.

The Rangers can't really use the same strategy with Kakko in place of Trocheck due to handedness accepting passes from Panarin in the slot, but it looks like they are employing more of an umbrella approach rather than a 1-3-1 in that vid. If it is effective, excellent, but if not...Trocheck was 2nd in PPG on the team last season and scored a lot more goals than Strome ever did from the same spot there, so we shouldn't underrate his ability there.

If the goal is actually to run an umbrella and have 2 guys next to the goal mouth, Cuylle or Lafreniere would be my pick of the young forwards. Cuylle would be another big strong body right there next to Kreider to reek havoc around the paint. For all of Lafreniere's faults, he was 2nd in tipped goals on the team last season and quite good at deflections and play around the net in general.

For Chytil and Kakko, I think Chytil is more like Zibanejad with a great shot that can be developed further if put in the right spot, and Kakko is more like Panarin as a puck possessor who you trust with the puck on his stick to maintain control. I'd like to see Kakko helping drive PP2 rather than being more or less a bystander w/o the puck in front of the net. PP2 just needs to actually get time to play.

When you look at this group of forwards, you realize the onus truly is on them this year. As far as setting up a team, management has done pretty well.

A big time goal scoring 1C, an elite winger capable of 90-100 points, a big bodied winger with a 50+ goal to his name, 2 Top-2 Lottery picks to compliment, a pesky-and-productive 3C taken from a rival, a 2C who emerged as a 20+ goal scorer and a big bodied winger with leadership experience who we stole for under a million who is possible for anywhere from 50-70 points. That’s not even taking into account a Top-3 defenseman in the sport anchoring the blue line and a Top-2 goaltender in the sport starting for 60-62 games. And a PP unit that has Top-10 potential.

Obviously, it all needs to come together. But you can’t ask for too much more from management. This is on the players now. They have all been together for a good chunk of time, they have been through wars together. They have grown up together. They have overachieved and underachieved. It’s time now.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 2

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think moving Kakko in there over Trocheck makes too much sense to not eventually happen. Better hands in the slot, better shot in general, and it would be nice to mix a lefty into the rotation.

Did anyone even watch this video? Kakko blows two, easy, cross ice passes in practice in the first 10s lol. 

The power play is the one area of the team that needs no help. Put the vets on the ice who are all outrageous there and just leave them alone. It's literally every other minute of play where we need help. When they can't figure it out, just take them off and put a different unit on. No need to overthink this. There has been no problem with our power play the last two years except that the first unit is on the ice for maybe 30s too long. 

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

When you look at this group of forwards, you realize the onus truly is on them this year. As far as setting up a team, management has done pretty well.

A big time goal scoring 1C, an elite winger capable of 90-100 points, a big bodied winger with a 50+ goal to his name, 2 Top-2 Lottery picks to compliment, a pesky-and-productive 3C taken from a rival, a 2C who emerged as a 20+ goal scorer and a big bodied winger with leadership experience who we stole for under a million who is possible for anywhere from 50-70 points. That’s not even taking into account a Top-3 defenseman in the sport anchoring the blue line and a Top-2 goaltender in the sport starting for 60-62 games. And a PP unit that has Top-10 potential.

Obviously, it all needs to come together. But you can’t ask for too much more from management. This is on the players now. They have all been together for a good chunk of time, they have been through wars together. They have grown up together. They have overachieved and underachieved. It’s time now.

on paper they're a dynasty.  

• LOL 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

While I agree that this group has to show more this season.  I don't get the Mika hate and the notion that he misses the net as much as you make it out to be. 

Is the PP predictable? Sure. Is it effective? It has been. Laviolette has already said they will work on ways to give them more variety on how they run it. So, they ARE going to change that. 

It's not hate. Simply wish the core of this team was (will be?) more of a force when they need to be. Hoping. 

Get "no quit" is a marketing slogan, and that's more MSG marketing than the players themselves. Not the players' fault also that MSG LOVES doing marketing bullshit. How many more times are we gonna get 1994 retrospectives? 

Glad to hear that hopefully the Mika PP move will be part of rather than the focus of the PP. 

6 hours ago, Bugg said:

Hopefully unlike the end of the last 2 seasons, the "leadership group" shows up when things matter this season. Teams with 2-0 series leads finish off the other team at an 86.3% clip, (347-55). They did something really bad and hard to do if you have your act together twice in 2 seasons. Rangers and their "no quit" act were the only team among 6 to lose such a series in the 2023 postseason.

Might help if the PP wasn't all about Mika taking a usually errant slapshot from the left that every coach, goalie and defenseman has seen over and over going on 3 seasons. But what the fuck do I know? 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

It's not hate. Simply wish the core of this team was (will be?) more of a force when they need to be. Hoping. 

Get "no quit" is a marketing slogan, and that's more MSG marketing than the players themselves. Not the players' fault also that MSG LOVES doing marketing bullshit. How many more times are we gonna get 1994 retrospectives? 

Glad to hear that hopefully the Mika PP move will be part of rather than the focus of the PP. 

Most PP goals since 2017-18 through last year:

Draisaitl - 109

Pastrnak - 89

Ovechkin - 87

Zibanejad - 85

Top 10 power play in the league over that span.

Since Fox took over setting Zib up in 2019:

Draisaitl - 87

Zibanejad - 60

Power play tied for 4th in the league.

Letting Zibanejad rip as many shots as possible appears to be working. 

• Applause 2