• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't buy a Shesty jersey, to be honest. I can't see a world where they go down the same path they did with Lundqvist where they basically said before the ink was dry "We had no choice."

Exactly my point. I’d imagine every GM in the league would rather due a Panarin contract then a Lundqvist contract.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

No knock on Shesty at all. Best goalie in the league and I get what he brings but if I’m paying $10 million on a player, it can’t be on a goalie.  I’m saying that a great defensive system can make a mediocre goalie (like georgiev) still be good enough to get a team deep into the playoffs.  If that’s what Lav is developing here, then shesty’s next contract becomes overpriced and unnecessary. 

Bingo. It's like the guy who's pressing bumpers is never going to make as much money as the software engineer who's building the car's computer. It's not that the bumper isn't important, It's that you can only make so much money pressing bumpers. Just like you should only be willing  to pay so much money playing a position where even if the player was perfect and never give up a goal.... cannot win you a game, the best you could hope for is a 0-0 tie because goaltending can't put pucks in nets. 

Edited by Pete

The way you avoid giving out a huge contract to your excellent goalie is having a new excellent goalie good to go when you have to make the decision.

If Dylan Garand looks like he's 98% of Igor Shesterkin when the time comes the decision will be easy.  However he needs to be that in the next 6 months because nobody is trading for Shesterkin in the last year of his contract knowing that they'll have to pay him through the nose when he goes free.

It's easy to say that a goalie is not worth a huge contract but it is much harder to be the GM who lets that guy go without having a clear replacement in hand.

9 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s going to want north of $9 million per.

Unless the bottom drops out of all of this and we start selling and have a lot of cap space, absolutely no way a winning team can spend $9 million on that position.

And don't say Tampa Bay, they've been managing the cap through LTIR for three or four seasons now. 

Henrik Lundqvist’s contract cost 12.3% of the cap (8.5m / 69M cap 2014, 1st year of contract).

The cap when Igor’s next contract starts is currently projected at $92M. 12.3% = $11.3M. When we say avoid a Lundqvist contract, it’s at that hit. $9M is less than 10% of the cap and would be an excellent deal. That’s one I would support.

33 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Henrik Lundqvist’s contract cost 12.3% of the cap (8.5m / 69M cap 2014, 1st year of contract).

The cap when Igor’s next contract starts is currently projected at $92M. 12.3% = $11.3M. When we say avoid a Lundqvist contract, it’s at that hit. $9M is less than 10% of the cap and would be an excellent deal. That’s one I would support.

Lundqvists contract is irrelevant as it pretty much handicapped from adding anybody who could score a goal.

Teams are winning with 5M goalies. It's great to have the best goalie in the world but it's cost control, but you don't need the best goalie in the world to win a Stanley cup. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Unless the bottom drops out of all of this and we start selling and have a lot of cap space, absolutely no way a winning team can spend $9 million on that position.

And don't say Tampa Bay, they've been managing the cap through LTIR for three or four seasons now. 

I don’t think they can go super high on him

either. 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Lundqvists contract is irrelevant as it pretty much handicapped from adding anybody who could score a goal.

Teams are winning with 5M goalies. It's great to have the best goalie in the world but it's cost control, but you don't need the best goalie in the world to win a Stanley cup. 

I agree, but the argument would be that $9M is not in that handicap range. It’s probably about the max before the cost outweighs the benefit.

There’s a lot of variables too. Would money saved be going towards quality scorers or overpaying for mediocre ones who won’t live up to their contract because that’s all that’s available?

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree, but the argument would be that $9M is not in that handicap range. It’s probably about the max before the cost outweighs the benefit.

There’s a lot of variables too. Would money saved be going towards quality scorers or overpaying for mediocre ones who won’t live up to their contract because that’s all that’s available?

They need to compartmentalize it. How much are you willing to spend on X position? Survey says the entire position shouldn't cost you more than maybe $8M.