• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

And might stay that way. lol He is good at waving his hands around. I'll give him that.

He may get another gig.

Hes had enough success to get one, especially if he makes some changes nd in interviews says as much.

Hes a good coach that wears thin quickly. Not a great coach though.

But he’s still young enough and has been successful enough to get another kick at the can somewhere.

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

He may get another gig.

Hes had enough success to get one, especially if he makes some changes nd in interviews says as much.

Hes a good coach that wears thin quickly. Not a great coach though.

But he’s still young enough and has been successful enough to get another kick at the can somewhere.

Yeah, I really wouldn't rule it out either. I think he has respect around the league and the players like him. The players here liked him a lot, mutual respect, but they were just frustrated due to the lack of direction and, you know, coaching.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I really wouldn't rule it out either. I think he has respect around the league and the players like him. The players here liked him a lot, mutual respect, but they were just frustrated due to the lack of direction and, you know, coaching.

Yeah.

And honestly, if he made some changes, and brought in the right guys as assistants to him, he could in the right place have success. 

Im sure he isn’t devoid of useful hockey knowledge to impart.

Just doesn’t do so.

Edited by RangersIn7

11 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

And honestly, if he made some changes, and brought in the right guys as assistants to him, he could in the right place have success. 

Im sure he isn’t devoid of useful hockey knowledge to impart.

Just doesn’t do so.

He's too stubborn to change. Rangers were the 3rd or 4th team he didn't get to 3 seasons with. 

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's too stubborn to change. Rangers were the 3rd or 4th team he didn't get to 3 seasons with. 

This is most likely his personality.

He feuded with the GM (again).

He apparently got shafted by the players in the post-season interviews.  Not surprising given that he broke up the Bromance for a significant chunk of the season and played the kids together (again).

Fox looked totally blown by the end of the Devil's series.  That will happen when lines 1 and 2 go missing in action after game 2.

I'm not saying GG shouldn't have been shown the door but anybody who thinks he was the only problem the Rangers faced last year isn't looking at the reality of what went on.

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is most likely his personality.

He feuded with the GM (again).

He apparently got shafted by the players in the post-season interviews.  Not surprising given that he broke up the Bromance for a significant chunk of the season and played the kids together (again).

Fox looked totally blown by the end of the Devil's series.  That will happen when lines 1 and 2 go missing in action after game 2.

I'm not saying GG shouldn't have been shown the door but anybody who thinks he was the only problem the Rangers faced last year isn't looking at the reality of what went on.

I don't think you're looking at the reality of what went on.  The players only ever saw and heard fromm GG on game day.  He made no adjustments ever.  They were completely on their own.

5 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I don't think you're looking at the reality of what went on.  The players only ever saw and heard fromm GG on game day.  He made no adjustments ever.  They were completely on their own.

Well he made a huge number of line adjustments.

Did he have somebody else running the practices?  Because you definitely hear from the coach in those.

17 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Well he made a huge number of line adjustments.

Did he have somebody else running the practices?  Because you definitely hear from the coach in those.

Vince has covered the difference in intensity and focus of practices multiple times throughout his articles and on his podcast. Other beats have covered it as well. I don't feel like digging too deep to find it, you can do that on your own. One of the biggest complaints about GG was that his practices were too short and lacked any real direction.

Laviolette's practices have been detailed, fast-paced and grueling − not just because they're longer than we typically saw under previous coach Gerard Gallant, but because every session is focused on creating competition.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/10/14/rangers-lineup-blue-jackets-peter-laviolette-practice/71161198007/

Kaapo Kakko said it was the hardest training camp he’s ever participated in entering his fifth NHL season.

The uptick in tempo to the Rangers’ on-ice sessions is one thing, but the variety of work and range of drills that Laviolette, his assistants Michael Peca, Phil Housley and Dan Muse, as well as skills coach Christian Hmura have brought to the club is another.

The Rangers practice three-on-three and four-on-four often.

They set up tight drills in the corner, with two goals facing the curve of the boards at 90-degree angles, to encourage strong stickhandling as well as physicality in the dirty areas of the ice.

Morning skate sessions are designed to get players to feel the puck, get into the flow of a game and put the team in a battle-oriented head space.

Mika Zibanejad noted that Laviolette’s morning skates are a bit different than what he’s experienced in the past.

Morning skates are an opportunity to set the tone for the day, Laviolette said earlier this season, noting he likes to have structure in the team’s schedule ahead of a game.

No two practices look the same under Laviolette, who is as engaged and involved with the Rangers as they are with the puck.

He is conscientious of giving each player individual attention with private conversations, on and off the ice.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/27/sports/peter-laviolettes-constant-intensity-translating-to-rangers-practices/

If you followed enough of the information coming out about Gallant over the summer, you'd understand how hands-off he was throughout his tenure.

• Applause 1

We're going to have some rough spots though fellas.  Make no mistake.  The trick is keep building our system, and our team play.  We've had some injuries and puulled a few "W"'s out but every team goes through a rough stretch.  We will too.  I guarantee it.

Just improve from it, and learn from it.  That's the trick!

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

We're going to have some rough spots though fellas.  Make no mistake.  The trick is keep building our system, and our team play.  We've had some injuries and puulled a few "W"'s out but every team goes through a rough stretch.  We will too.  I guarantee it.

Just improve from it, and learn from it.  That's the trick!

Wrong. 

spacer.png

• VINNY! 1
  • Believe 1

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

And only two goals from Mika so far. You know that's not going to last either.

This probably depends on whether Mika knows how to take any shot other than the one-timer at this point.  Worked really well for him the last couple of seasons but it's known now and doesn't seem to have much effect.

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This probably depends on whether Mika knows how to take any shot other than the one-timer at this point.  Worked really well for him the last couple of seasons but it's known now and doesn't seem to have much effect.

My theory is that he has some sort of prop bet going on how many of those goals he can get in a season because Jesus Christ is he pushing that shot

• Keeps it 100 1