• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

Great. We can double down on meh.

We had "Dishonor for Connor", "Hit the skids for McDavid", "Be Krappo for Kakko", and "eat derriere for Lafreniere", but I just didn't have "aw shit, it's blahviolette" on the radar.

3 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Based on?

What am I basing my opinion on? His record is mediocre at best. Nashville had a decent roster and has looked completely uninspired under him. The devils roster wasn’t great but not much there to change my mind either. Certainly not the better choice if the vacuum is him and Laviolette. Also he’s ugly.

6 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Really?  Because not a single team that needed a new coach waited to interview him.

I am not really interested in what other teams are doing or did, but the fact is the Rangers still don't have a head coach and they're not interviewing a potential candidate. Perhaps there's more to it, but I don't like the look.

Just now, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I am not really interested in what other teams are doing or did, but the fact is the Rangers still don't have a head coach and they're not interviewing a potential candidate. Perhaps there's more to it, but I don't like the look.

This. The Rangers have two utterly uninspiring leading candidates and Roy at least seemed like a fresher option. He's somewhere in between retread and fresh face. He checks a lot of boxes. It's disappointing that the only reason we have for this process being dragged out is the Rangers being non-commital. Great. We're resting our hope on a guy that management likely isn't even confident in but deems the safe choice. They're losers making decisions like losers.

• Bullseye 1

54 minutes ago, siddious said:

Also make that 2 teams don’t have a HC

47 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Who?

He's Knoblauch with way more NHL bench time as an assistant (over a decade) and more AHL success.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Total conjecture, but my guess is Laviolette is their fallback guy should Quenneville never be reinstated and they don't land Roy.

I agree with this in theory for sure, especially after the Roy news just broke here. The only other guy that required waiting for their season to be over is Q.

However, if I were Lavi and it was pretty obvious I'm a fallback guy and the Rangers are trying to find "better", I'd probably be withdrawing my name from consideration. I imagine a veteran coach like Laviolette would take offense to that in general. A guy who is a little more desperate for the opportunity might wind up being the fallback: Hynes, Leach, Knobby.

1 minute ago, siddious said:

What am I basing my opinion on? His record is mediocre at best. Nashville had a decent roster and has looked completely uninspired under him. The devils roster wasn’t great but not much there to change my mind either. Certainly not the better choice if the vacuum is him and Laviolette. Also he’s ugly.

Records need context.  The Devils were in the middle of a rebuild and he still got them into the playoffs.  Hall, Josi, Forsberg, and Duchene have all had the best year of their careers under Hynes.  The same year Josi, Forsberg, and Duchene all had career high point totals the Preds allowed the 3rd fewest HDC in the league.  

I'm not sure why a coach who has proven their system can limit quality chances for the opponent while at the same time allowing offensive players to thrive is a bad thing.

"I heard on the weekend [NYR] were kinda deciding between Hynes and Laviolette. If there's someone else there (Roy), I didn't know about it. As of last night, they hadn't spoken to him."

— Friedman on Jeff Marek show today.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

"I heard on the weekend [NYR] were kinda deciding between Hynes and Laviolette. If there's someone else there (Roy), I didn't know about it. As of last night, they hadn't spoken to him."

— Friedman on Jeff Marek show today.

Ted Lasso Fuck No GIF by Apple TV

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Records need context.  The Devils were in the middle of a rebuild and he still got them into the playoffs.  Hall, Josi, Forsberg, and Duchene have all had the best year of their careers under Hynes.  The same year Josi, Forsberg, and Duchene all had career high point totals the Preds allowed the 3rd fewest HDC in the league.  

I'm not sure why a coach who has proven their system can limit quality chances for the opponent while at the same time allowing offensive players to thrive is a bad thing.

Hey you may be right. What the hell do I know & coaching is one of those things that heavily rely on circumstance as well.

if he’s hired then I hope you’re right 

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Gallant to Laviolette or Hynes does nothing for me. I'm already having trouble generating any kind of excitement about next season barring a Panarin trade.

Then be prepared to be flaccid.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Gallant to Laviolette or Hynes does nothing for me. I'm already having trouble generating any kind of excitement about next season barring a Panarin trade.

This. Just so completely uninspiring on every level.

"We fired the coach... and hired a guy who's exactly like him. Oh, and everyone's coming back."

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Pete said:

I honestly don't think anyone has watched enough Nashville to have an opinion of Hynes.

Or even New Jersey (though it was long ago).

But that doesn't really preclude anyone from not being excited by these names.

The only thing that is going to make next season exciting is if Laffy or Kaako really step up their game and become top liners.

Other than that we're going to be looking at all the same action we've had the last two seasons and I don't think a placeholder HC is going to be able to take that to the same results GG did.

If Laffy or Kakko goes to 80+ points we're probably moving forward.  If both do then we're on the way.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Or even New Jersey (though it was long ago).

But that doesn't really preclude anyone from not being excited by these names.

Sure, but I don't put any weight into people who aren't excited but don't know why they aren't excited.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

"We fired the coach... and hired a guy who's exactly like him. Oh, and everyone's coming back."

In all fairness we don’t know if everyone is coming back 

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly like him + systems and structure would be fine. All the other coaches on the ticket have that on their resume (x's and o's).

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Pete said:

Exactly like him + systems and structure would be fine. All the other coaches on the ticket have that on their resume (x's and o's).

Yea, nice dude, well liked by the media, professional....just not a tactician. We need more.