• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

32 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The media has also acknowledged the NMCs on the team, and hinted at roster construction, but they don't go too deeply past that. They recognize the minimal likelihood of something like that happening, as they should. It doesn't mean they don't think it's a problem and that the coach being fired is a cure all like I read on here. There's too much evidence backing the idea that the players in addition to the coach shared blame, and all we are really debating at this point is who shouldered more of it.

When we hear "line juggling", we have to consider who Drury gave Gallant to play RW in the top 9, and the fact he also brought in a new top 6 C in Trocheck. The options were Kakko, Lafreniere switched out of his natural position, Blais fresh off an ACL tear, GOAT, Vesey, and Goodrow. I don't care who is coach. That is going to require some musical chairs to see if anything sticks, especially when I also read stuff halfway into the season like "Panarin doesn't fit with Trocheck and doesn't work well with Zibanejad". So now you've got two positions on Panarin's line that are being questioned, and the suggestion becomes more line juggling to figure it out. Even in your lines that you want to see next season, you want two guys Panarin hasn't played much with at all (Chytil and Goodrow) and see if it works. If it doesn't, and the odds are against it working, there's more shifting around to be done. That's line juggling to a T, and it's more related to roster construction than it is coaching preference to do it.

Re: last comment, how riveting. The team wouldn't make the playoffs without $20 million in subtracted from the roster without any regard for how that $20 million would be spent. Meaningless comment. It's also quite the backhand to the biggest reason the team makes the playoffs (Igor), and the biggest reason the team has any pulse at 5v5 at all (Fox).

I get changing lines. I don't get changing them every 5 games or after one period. I don't get moving away from ones that worked, and never try them again (Kreider/Zib/Kakko). And you can try and justify it all you want, but the players voiced their frustration, so It doesn't matter what you think.

The Rangers once signed Gomez and Drury, but neither worked with Jagr. So they played Dubinsky with Jagr. Your solution would have been to trade the team's best player. That's ass-backward. You don't remove talent, you do what's required to unlock it.

And no one said a new coach was a cure-all. It was said that there's enough talent on the roster to run it back with a new coach, and the things that ailed the team are fixable by coaching. If you run it back and they suck, you sure blow it up. Everyone gets easier to move with one year less on their deal. But you can't tell me a team with the holy trinity (elite center, elite D, elite goalie) plus an elite LW isn't good enough to play at 5v5 effectively. I don't put any stock at all in that notion.

RE: you last comment, I didn't think Fox and Shesty needed to be mentioned. It's obvious. But you only whine about Zob and Panarin.

Edited by Pete

Laviolette has been available for months. It's telling that he hasn't been hired yet. Brooksy nailed this one the other day. This is not playing out like a situation where they are enamored with Lavi. It's playing out like they are waiting for something different. Patrick Roy or possibly still Joel Q.

• Bullseye 1

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Laviolette has been available for months. It's telling that he hasn't been hired yet. Brooksy nailed this one the other day. This is not playing out like a situation where they are enamored with Lavi. It's playing out like they are waiting for something different. Patrick Roy or possibly still Joel Q.

Total conjecture, but my guess is Laviolette is their fallback guy should Quenneville never be reinstated and they don't land Roy.

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

TBH the deeper I dove arguing about Laviolette, the more I actually don't think Hynes would be bad.

Hynes is about the least interesting name I’ve heard all off season. There’s not much to like there.