• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I would be excited if Laf could crack 50 at this point. lol

Are you suggesting 80 pts each for both isn't realistic because I would say there's no f'ing way.

Edited by jsrangers

It’s been a month since the Rangers and Gerard Gallant agreed to part company. We’re hearing that it may be down to two for the next Rangers coach: Peter Laviolette, late of the Capitals, or John Hynes, late of the Predators.

If those names do not inspire excitement in this next phase of Chris Drury’s stewardship, you’re probably not alone. That this search has taken as long as it has does not scream that Drury and the Rangers had a grand plan in place when Gallant departed. The GM and his first coaching hire did not see eye to eye by the end of that Game 7 loss to the Devils, which was about as uninspiring a performance as could have come from this group of players and certainly didn’t help Gallant’s case to return for another year.

League sources said there was no chance the Rangers would talk to Patrick Roy, who just won a Memorial Cup on Sunday. If the GM and Roy, who won a Cup together 22 years ago, were a good fit then Roy would have gotten a sit down two years ago. He didn’t and he’s not getting one now.

If Drury is willing to wait even longer, Joel Quenneville could be available. He’s requested a meeting with Gary Bettman after the Final to try and get reinstated; if Bettman agrees, the Rangers could have interest, as they reportedly did a month ago and before Quenneville’s timeline to return to the league was pushed back into June. The matter of whether the Rangers would be morally opposed to being the first team that hires Quenneville, who was unofficially banned from the NHL for his role in covering up the Kyle Beach incident with the Hawks in 2010, isn’t known.

https://theathletic.com/4575290/2023/06/05/rangers-coaching-search-peter-laviolette-john-hynes/?source=user_shared_article

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sure, but I don't put any weight into people who aren't excited but don't know why they aren't excited.

He's had 9 seasons as an NHL head coach. He got fired with a bad record midseason during one of them. He's missed the playoffs in 4 of them. He lost in the 1st round in the other 4. 4-15 playoff record. He didn't do anything for the future of the Devils franchise in 4+ years. He's done nothing with a fairly competitive core in Nashville.

• Bullseye 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Exactly like him + systems and structure would be fine. All the other coaches on the ticket have that on their resume (x's and o's).

Sure, I said as much a little bit ago. I don't understand why people actively dislike Hynes. I wanted an exciting coach (like Roy or Quenneville), but I don't know nearly enough about Hynes or what he can or can't do to say one way or another. He feels just like Gallant to me in that just like Gallant, I have no opinion of him. Or had none when he was hired.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sure, but I don't put any weight into people who aren't excited but don't know why they aren't excited.

Oh, I can tell you why I'm not excited. I just can't make a detailed argument as to why he's not a good candidate. They're related, but as I just said, I don't know enough about him because I go out of my way to watch as few Devils games as possible every year, and make absolutely no effort whatsoever to watch the Predators, either.

On Hynes, it's surface level: .211 coaching win percentage. Never been out of the first round.

30 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He's had 9 seasons as an NHL head coach. He got fired with a bad record midseason during one of them. He's missed the playoffs in 4 of them. He lost in the 1st round in the other 4. 4-15 playoff record. He didn't do anything for the future of the Devils franchise in 4+ years. He's done nothing with a fairly competitive core in Nashville.

@Long live the King already contextualized much of this. You can look at the record and that's fine, but if you're not digging into the deeper "why" then you're doing it wrong.

GG had a great record here. Then you dig deeper and see there were tremendous cracks in his foundation. Same may be true of Hynes (and others).

34 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh, I can tell you why I'm not excited. I just can't make a detailed argument as to why he's not a good candidate. They're related, but as I just said, I don't know enough about him because I go out of my way to watch as few Devils games as possible every year, and make absolutely no effort whatsoever to watch the Predators, either.

On Hynes, it's surface level: .211 coaching win percentage. Never been out of the first round.

Still ignoring the context here.  Last season Saros got hurt before the playoffs and they drew the Aves who went 16-4  with 2 sweeps on their way to the cup.  This year they missed the playoffs.  They were decimated by injuries.  Josi missed 15 games, Duchene 11, Forsberg 32, Johansen 27, McDonagh 11.  Additionally, Poille traded Niederreiter, Granlund, and Ekholm who weren't even pending UFA's.  And they still only missed the playoffs by 3 points.

Also, neither of those rosters reflects the Ranger's current roster.  The Ranger's roster is better than anything he's had to work with prior.

Edited by Long live the King

19 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Still ignoring the context here.  Last season Saros got hurt before the playoffs and they drew the Aves who went 16-4  with 2 sweeps on their way to the cup.  This year they missed the playoffs.  They were decimated by injuries.  Josi missed 15 games, Duchene 11, Forsberg 32, Johansen 27, McDonagh 11.  Additionally, Poille traded Niederreiter, Granlund, and Ekholm who weren't even pending UFA's.  And they still only missed the playoffs by 3 points.

Also, neither of those rosters reflects the Ranger's current roster.  The Ranger's roster is better than anything he's had to work with prior.

OK, great. I'm still not excited, because he's not an exciting name, and I've watched games he's coached in probably like a dozen times?

He could be exactly what they need, but I will never know, because I don't watch his teams play.

For conversation sake, on the flip side if we can contextualize his .211 coaching winning percentage and having never been out of the first round that's fine and one side of the coin.  But does it  justify him getting a chance here?  What does he have in his bag, he's not GG, he has a history of what playing with Drury is that it?  He may have a system but it hasn't proven successful to any meaningful degree anywhere. Again this side of the coin says we can explain it away.

The other side of the coin is simply this: It's a quote by former NFL head coach Bill Parcells that says, "You are what your record says you are." The point is that you can't reason distance between you and what you accomplish (or don't accomplish.) Results speak for themselves. The rest of the speaking we do is generally everything else.

It's a meh choice and if made one I believe based solely on a friendship and hope. It's also very safe in that Hynes will never rock the boat with Drury. 

Edited by jsrangers
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I get that excuses can be made for the guy as to why he deserves another coaching chance somewhere, but it doesn’t fit here. The way I see it is there are two avenues to take with this team. One is to focus on developing the youth, which deprioritizes immediate winning. They might look at a guy like Knob or Leach to go this route. This isn’t Hynes. The second is to prioritize going for it, basically Cup or bust in the next two seasons. A proven coach with success. This also isn’t Hynes. Laviolette had a better argument for checking this box, but there’s a lot of distance since his last stretch of success. What he did in Washington was wholly unimpressive and does not inspire confidence.

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I get that excuses can be made for the guy as to why he deserves another coaching chance somewhere, but it doesn’t fit here. The way I see it is there are two avenues to take with this team. One is to focus on developing the youth, which deprioritizes immediate winning. They might look at a guy like Knob or Leach to go this route. This isn’t Hynes. The second is to prioritize going for it, basically Cup or bust in the next two seasons. A proven coach with success. This also isn’t Hynes. Laviolette had a better argument for checking this box, but there’s a lot of distance since his last stretch of success. What he did in Washington was wholly unimpressive and does not inspire confidence.

Why?  Hynes coached the NTDP for 6 years winning a gold, a silver, and a bronze at the world U-18s.  Coached in the AHL for 5 years making 2 conference finals.  Looks like a pretty similar junior career and a better AHL career than Knob.

31 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No, there's just one avenue. They're trying to win. The youth isn't young anymore. Chytil year 7, Kakko year 5, Laugh year 4, Miller year 4. They aren't done progressing but this isn't some kind of youth movement here.

• Applause 1

13 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Why?  Hynes coached the NTDP for 6 years winning a gold, a silver, and a bronze at the world U-18s.  Coached in the AHL for 5 years making 2 conference finals.  Looks like a pretty similar junior career and a better AHL career than Knob.

If this were before he's had two shots as an NHL coach, he'd be firmly in the Knob bracket. It's more known what Hynes is as a HC in the NHL and it hasn't been promising, though I do agree he probably deserves another chance, just somewhere else with lesser expectations upfront. The unknown with other candidates is more alluring. @LindG1000 has said it a few times, and I agree, that boom or bust is more appealing than retread - coach Q aside on that probably.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, there's just one avenue. They're trying to win. The youth isn't young anymore. Chytil year 7, Kakko year 5, Laugh year 4, Miller year 4. They aren't done progressing but this isn't some kind of youth movement here.

Sure, they might be operating under the guise of trying to win, but they aren't really trying to win if 15% of the cap is tied up in a non-playoff performer.

• LMFAO 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Sure, they might be operating under the guise of trying to win, but they aren't really trying to win if 15% of the cap is tied up in a non-playoff performer.

Sure, you might be operating under they guise of trying to contribute to the community, but you aren't really when 85% of your posts are about the same tired shit that's not even true.

Edited by Pete

Well if drury is not willing to even grant roy an interview, and goes ahead and makes the uninspiring (ie. Hynes or Laviollete) hire that fails miserably, i may not be opposed to having his head on the chopping block.

Edited by Jdog99

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Matthews has 1 win in 8 playoff series.  .420 win %.  He'll probably go unsigned and be out of the league once his contract is up.  No proven success.  The results speak for themselves.

Matthews has 9 goals and 20 points in his last 18 playoff games across two postseasons. He’s also only 25. Bad example.

Whoever they hire had better have a plan because 95 pts next season and a quick exit is going to put so much pressure on the whole structure that it's likely to collapse.

And yeah it sounds crazy that a GM who oversaw 110, 107, 95 would be in that situation but you when you truncate it and get that 3rd year it's your fault not anybody else's.

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Laviolette has been available for months. It's telling that he hasn't been hired yet. Brooksy nailed this one the other day. This is not playing out like a situation where they are enamored with Lavi. It's playing out like they are waiting for something different. Patrick Roy or possibly still Joel Q.

I'm guessing they are trying to agree to a hand picked Drury staff as assistants. Likely Knoblauch and a family member or 2. 

• LOL 1