• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

Knoblauch:

44 y.o.

Repertoire with Drury and org

Championship coach of Erie Otters once in OHL, 2x finals appearance

Pro experience, assistant coach with Flyers for two years 2017-2019.

Wolfpack coach since 2019. 112-87-24 aggregate record with a shit roster. In the division finals this year.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Knoblauch:

44 y.o.

Repertoire with Drury and org

Championship coach of Erie Otters twice in OHL

Pro experience, assistant coach with Flyers for two years 2017-2019.

Wolfpack coach since 2019. 112-87-24 aggregate record with a shit roster. In the division finals this year.

Drury is hiring a guy who will be him in the locker room. There aren't going to be any screaming matches. And having been in the organization, there won't be any learning curve; he knows this roster. 

Edited by Bugg

The more I think of this, the more I’m thinking he may actually go with Knoblauch. But, the one thing I keep going back to is whether or not Drury has the balls to this. Because if he does and it doesn’t work out, he’s likely out of a job. Does he have that much confidence in him to roll the dice on him? I’m not sure.

Like I’ve said, I have always been a Laviolette fan. That wouldn’t shock me either. Outside of DC, he seems to have success at all of his stops. But I don’t know, he just looked uninspired and old and tired there.

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The more I think of this, the more I’m thinking he may actually go with Knoblauch. But, the one thing I keep going back to is whether or not Drury has the balls to this. Because if he does and it doesn’t work out, he’s likely out of a job. Does he have that much confidence in him to roll the dice on him? I’m not sure.

Like I’ve said, I have always been a Laviolette fan. That wouldn’t shock me either. Outside of DC, he seems to have success at all of his stops. But I don’t know, he just looked uninspired and old and tired there.

How quickly they fired Gallant leads me to hope they are interested in someone that is already available. Laviolette makes the most sense. 

If Laviolette looked uninspired,  I'd say its likely because he's had the same roster for years and nothing really positive coming up through the system. Having one go to guy for years as he gets output from aging vets and goons, while constantly shuffling in scrap heap guys like Strome and Milano like he did this year, is probably going to get anyone down.  

He gets the best out if every type of player. He can handle developing young players while winning  with an aging core. He's firey. He wins. I don't put him in that "retread" bucket that people seem to be doing here. 

I hope they grab hom before someone else does. I'd hate to see him back with the Islanders, whom could maybe use a new direction. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1

I’m thinking Knoblauch is a done deal. Drury was the Hartford GM when Knob got hired. He’s handpicked by Drury and he’s been doing a great job in Hartford for 4 years. If he’s not getting the chance here, he’ll be gone for a chance soon enough.

Too much smoke after that Brooksy article.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’m thinking Knoblauch is a done deal. Drury was the Hartford GM when Knob got hired. He’s handpicked by Drury and he’s been doing a great job in Hartford for 4 years. If he’s not getting the chance here, he’ll be gone for a chance soon enough.

Too much smoke after that Brooksy article.

He’s doing well this year. I wouldn’t call the last few years a great job. He hasn’t had exceptional players to work with but he also hasn’t squeezed much out of what he’s had. I’d like to see Hartford have some maintained success before I call his efforts a victory.

I almost want to say Knoblauch. Except this is too much a win-now team to take a chance on a first timer right now.

Believe it or not, I’m gonna predict it eventually ends up being Babcock. I feel like Drury is gonna go someone who knows how to win, has won before, won’t be everyone’s best friend in that locker room so they won’t get coddled. He’s had his issues yes, but he may be the best choice of what’s currently out there.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I almost want to say Knoblauch. Except this is too much a win-now team to take a chance on a first timer right now.

Believe it or not, I’m gonna predict it eventually ends up being Babcock. I feel like Drury is gonna go someone who knows how to win, has won before, won’t be everyone’s best friend in that locker room so they won’t get coddled. He’s had his issues yes, but he may be the best choice of what’s currently out there.

It sounded like Babcock was going to stay retired by his choice, but if there were ever a chance he’d unretire it’s probably for an opportunity just like this one. 

Interesting.  Uncle Larry certainly has his detractors among posters, but he writes a piece playing up Knobloch as a possibility, and 71% say he will be the coach.  What would that percentage have been had Uncle Larry just put the kibosh on Q but not mentioned Knobloch?

36 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Interesting.  Uncle Larry certainly has his detractors among posters, but he writes a piece playing up Knobloch as a possibility, and 71% say he will be the coach.  What would that percentage have been had Uncle Larry just put the kibosh on Q but not mentioned Knobloch?

smug GIF

I think it will be Knoblauch for many of the reasons listed above; familiarity with the young players, has worked closely with Drury for awhile, etc.   This team needs an X’s and O’s guy.  

I don’t think a yelling, passionate coach isn’t going to get through to this group of veterans, so no Messier or Roy.  Although, not sure how well regarded Roy is as a tactician, maybe he is good with the X’s and O’s

I think Brunette would be good pick.  Quenville stepped down end of Oct. ‘21 and Brunette took over.  That was Brunette’s team.  Much of the X’s and O’s is the assistant coach, not the head coach.  

Now Brunette is in Jersey and I am pretty sure it is his offense and style of play they are implementing .   After Game 2 I doubt it was Lindy Ruff that came up with the adjustments.  I just don’t get the feeling that Lindy Ruff is an X’s and O’s guy, maybe he was when he first got the Sabre’s head coaching job 26 years ago, but the game has changed a lot in that time.

No way it’s Laviolette.  His best years are behind him and he loves playing man to man defense, which is only as effective as the skating ability of your players.  If this roster didn’t have the skating ability to exit their own end and get through the neutral zone against NJ, no way this team would be successful with a man to man.

People like Roy or Messier aren’t happening. I can’t see Drury going that route at this stage with the importance of this hire. I’d say Knoblauch will be given a hard look too, but I think Drury wants someone who has won before and has experience coaching at this level with this locker room, that is in dire need of a wake up call.

The more I think of it, Babcock checks a lot of boxes. He can ruffle feathers, but he’s a smart coach, incredibly well prepared, knows how to win in this league and probably would be motivated by this opportunity. Hopefully he’s learned from his past when it comes to being a dickhead with some stuff. Other than that, he checks a lot of boxes for what we may be looking for.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Hiring somebody who was fired in the last year or two is just asking to be moving on again in a season or two.

The young first time coach may work out or he may not but he's definitely Drury's choice if he gets hired and so he brings clarity to the situation.  

Just having a guy in who is willing to ask the young guys why they are doing what they are doing would be valuable.

40 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

People like Roy or Messier aren’t happening. I can’t see Drury going that route at this stage with the importance of this hire. I’d say Knoblauch will be given a hard look too, but I think Drury wants someone who has won before and has experience coaching at this level with this locker room, that is in dire need of a wake up call.

The more I think of it, Babcock checks a lot of boxes. He can ruffle feathers, but he’s a smart coach, incredibly well prepared, knows how to win in this league and probably would be motivated by this opportunity. Hopefully he’s learned from his past when it comes to being a dickhead with some stuff. Other than that, he checks a lot of boxes for what we may be looking for.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/opinion/2022/09/01/if-maple-leafs-ex-coach-mike-babcock-does-retire-its-a-stunning-fall-from-grace-in-an-otherwise-impressive-career.html

Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Not the guy to take over a veteran run locker room for the past two years. These guys need respect from their coach while expecting the same in return. A professional relationship where they can learn tactics and have actual gameplans. The mental warfare etc isn't necessary with this group imo. In fact I think they would shut down.