• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

19 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/opinion/2022/09/01/if-maple-leafs-ex-coach-mike-babcock-does-retire-its-a-stunning-fall-from-grace-in-an-otherwise-impressive-career.html

Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Not the guy to take over a veteran run locker room for the past two years. These guys need respect from their coach while expecting the same in return. A professional relationship where they can learn tactics and have actual gameplans. The mental warfare etc isn't necessary with this group imo. In fact I think they would shut down.

This locker room needs a bit of an ass kicking. I would hope Babcock is past his days of doing this.

Brunette should definitely get an interview. I’d be shocked if he’s not a head coach in some NHL city in 2023-2024.  His work has been outstanding. I really think this will be a younger guy that has earned a chance. I’m not thinking it’ll be Laviolette, Boudreaux, and definitely not Sutter. Fuck that guy’s face. Plus you probably couldn’t give him enough money to coach in NY.

Wasn't Dallas Eakins a decorated AHL coach? How's his NHL careers gone?

No AHL veteran coach's. 

Laviolette has had success with every type of player and roster. He plays and develops young players. He doesn't exactly cater to vets, but gets the most out of them.

He's a winner. His teams never get pushed around. 

I don't get how he's not at the top of everyone's lists. 

Edited by The Dude

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Brunette should definitely get an interview. I’d be shocked if he’s not a head coach in some NHL city in 2023-2024.  His work has been outstanding. I really think this will be a younger guy that has earned a chance. I’m not thinking it’ll be Laviolette, Boudreaux, and definitely not Sutter. Fuck that guy’s face. Plus you probably couldn’t give him enough money to coach in NY.

Word is Calgary to reunite with Huberdeau. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Wasn't Dallas Eakins a decorated AHL coach? How's his NHL careers gone?

No AHL veteran coach's. 

Laviolette has had success with every type of player and roster. He plays and develops young players. He doesn't exactly cater to vets, but gets the most out of them.

He's a winner. His teams never get pushed around. 

I don't get how he's not at the top of everyone's lists. 

I would have Brunette decently high on the short list here too.

I'm personally leaning towards the up-and-coming assistant coach or AHL coach - Carberry, Knoblauch, Jeff Halpern, etc.

Drury probably doesn't have more coaching bullets left, so from a self-preservation standpoint I could see him going with a retread unfortunately. Of the retreads, I guess Boudreau is my preference? But I'm not thrilled about it. 

I think they want Brunette. 

I recall hearing that Dolan wanted Brunette when Gallant was on thin ice earlier this year. I do think that both Florida and NJ benefited greatly from him. And that this is Dolan's guy takes some of the heat off Drury.

Knob, because every option available is extremely flawed, and you can quickly and easy make an argument that not a single one of them is an actual "upgrade" on Gallant. These are all past their prime candidates who are probably looking at their last coaching gigs — especially among the veterans like Laviolette, Boudreau, etc.

Just no thanks. Go internal. Promote the guy who's been putting in the work and here's to hoping it works, because to be perfectly frank, the problem isn't coaching, it's roster composition.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

The person who can install successful systems for the team when they don't have the puck, and can instill a more action oriented mentality when they do have the puck should get the job.

I don't care if they are a player's coach, if they are a hard ass, if they've been with this organization or any other, if they're a big name, little name, no name. Pick the right person not the "right brand".

• Keeps it 100 2

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

The person who can install successful systems for the team when they don't have the puck, and can instill a more action oriented mentality when they do have the puck should get the job.

I don't care if they are a player's coach, if they are a hard ass, if they've been with this organization or any other, if they're a big name, little name, no name. Pick the right person not the "right brand".

You pretty much summed up what Drury was eluding to when asked. No timeline just ensuring to choose the right guy.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/kris-knoblauchs-ahl-success-prepared-him-for-rangers-coach-look/

This article sums up pretty much all of what we are asking for......and it comes from an internal candidate. Why wouldn't be promote this guy? Forget the big names. I'm not interested. Knoblauch's reviews seem like a smarter in game Gallant. Seems like a good guy, these guys would want to play for. Lindgren even says as much.

Here is to hoping!!!

A big part of the up sell on Knob is that he "knows the players" already. Especially some of the younger harder-working ones who the Rangers are probably going to look to to fix the roster imbalance problem. Like, maybe Tim Gettinger never makes it, but there's a group of performers there that Knob has coached for a while now who should be in the pool: Gettinger, Brodzinksi, Cuylle, Karl Henriksson, Brett Berard, Sykora, Trivigno, etc.

They won't all make it, but some probably will.

Also, here's another name I'd have tons of interest in: Ulf Samuelsson. One of the only coaches in recent memory who did good work with the defense. Maybe bring him back as Knob's associate? Him, or Jaques Martin.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Also, here's another name I'd have tons of interest in: Ulf Samuelsson. One of the only coaches in recent memory who did good work with the defense. Maybe bring him back as Knob's associate? Him, or Jaques Martin.

27 minutes ago, Phil said:

A big part of the up sell on Knob is that he "knows the players" already. Especially some of the younger harder-working ones who the Rangers are probably going to look to to fix the roster imbalance problem. Like, maybe Tim Gettinger never makes it, but there's a group of performers there that Knob has coached for a while now who should be in the pool: Gettinger, Brodzinksi, Cuylle, Karl Henriksson, Brett Berard, Sykora, Trivigno, etc.

They won't all make it, but some probably will.

Didn't think of Ulfie!!  I could imagine what he could do with Fox, Schneider, and most of all, Miller!!!

I'm really bummed we can't get Q, but I suppose I can deal with Knobby.   I'm not too hot on the other candidates....This actually makes me feel a little better.

Whole lotta updates to tickle your pickle this morning @BrooksBurner:

From Friedman:

"I think a priority is going to be can we find a coach who can reach [Lafreniere], who can get the most out of him ... I don't think the Rangers want to trade this guy ... I think that's going to be a focal point of the search."

"One of the names that's been talked about is Kris Knoblaugh who's done a really nice job with HFD in AHL."

"I think there's a general feeling about the Rangers — are they a team that's willing to go for someone who's never had NHL head coaching experience? That's kinda not their MO. Sometimes that's worked for them, and sometimes it hasn't. Maybe they'll surprise everybody."

From Seravalli:

"How do you think you get the next Jon Cooper ... Jared Bednar? Where do you think they come from? Everyone has to get their first start somewhere, and most of the time they come through an org and get promoted."

"Knoblaugh has NHL bench experience. ... has now gone back to being a head coach in the AHL for a number of years. You can't tell me between winning 2 major junior championships in two different leagues and having all this pro experience that he's not ready. I don't buy it."

"I don't understand the fear that comes with promoting these guys. Connor McDavid just said it, saying Jay Woodcroft is one of the top-three or five coaches in the NHL. Where did Jay Woodcroft come from? Why is everyone so afraid?"
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Also, here's another name I'd have tons of interest in: Ulf Samuelsson. 

Er, only one brutal transaction involving Samuelsson per lifetime, thank you.

As for Knob, it sounds good in theory and I'm not necessarily against it, but how he would mesh with veteran NHL stars like Zib, Bread, CK, Fox, Trouba (at least paid like one), and next year's Tank/Kane is a complete unknown.  He might be great with Xs and Os, but would those guys become his Xs and Os?

16 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Er, only one brutal transaction involving Samuelsson per lifetime, thank you.

As for Knob, it sounds good in theory and I'm not necessarily against it, but how he would mesh with veteran NHL stars like Zib, Bread, CK, Fox, Trouba (at least paid like one), and next year's Tank/Kane is a complete unknown.  He might be great with Xs and Os, but would those guys become his Xs and Os?

Only one way to find out. "Everyone has to get their first start somewhere."