• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

12 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The Pack are playing a super tight game, though. They're the complete opposite of the Rangers in that they're winning a large percentage of puck battles, clogging up the neutral zone, and turning pucks back in the other direction quickly.

This scares me a bit. Knob's gonna have a hard time trying to get this team to play like this. They're not a puck battle winning, neutral zone clogging, dump&chase kinda team.

If he gets them to play like that, perfect. I just have a hard time seeing it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This scares me a bit. Knob's gonna have a hard time trying to get this team to play like this. They're not a puck battle winning, neutral zone clogging, dump&chase kinda team.

Maybe. Or maybe it’s exactly what this yeam

needs. I dunno how else you determine that besides hiring him and seeing where it goes.

• Keeps it 100 1

I'm not going to pretend I know what qualities the Rangers are looking for in their next head coach, but my take is that they are looking for an experienced coach with an established system that the veterans in the locker room will respect and work hard for. 

Looking at playoff teams, it's unlikely head coaches like Cooper, Bednar, Montgomery, Keefe are going to become available, so let's call them long-shots, and dismiss them as candidates for the time being.

You could find an assistant coach from an established organization, or a head coach from the college ranks.  I'm not going to pretend that I know that much about assistant coaches, nor have done a deep dive on AHL or junior head coaching records, nor analyzed what college coaches might be a good fit for the NHL.  I'll put them in the category of unproven.  There might be a diamond in the rough, but you are probably looking at a return to the Quinn years.  And I think the Rangers locker room has proven that an unproven coach can lose the locker room quickly.

We are probably in the realm of unemployed former coaches as the best fit.   I'm not a fan of hiring Quenneville because of the situation in Chicago.  At best you can say he was negligent.

In order to feel that we've potentially got a coach that has a system, can command respect in the room, and could be a good fit, I see: Laviollete, Babcock, Trotz, Sutter. I may be missing a name or two, but I think that's the pool I would be looking at.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I don't know that the Rangers can't, it's that they haven't had any system in place to support it. Telling your players to "be hard on guys" is different than knowing exactly where you should be to support your teammate on pressure plays. In the case of the Rangers, they genuinely don't know how to support each other properly. They're probably thinking or asking, "Where should I be here?" I don't get that impression with the Pack right now, but I have in the past. Previously they'd been emulating the Rangers pond hockey approach which doesn't work without talent. Now they're relentless in the offensive zone to the point that they're forcing turnovers on plays you think are going to get out. 

• VINNY! 2

The more and more I read some of these Hartford posts, (...and thanks a million for the scouting reports, @Drew a Penalty), the more I'm in favor of bringing Knobby in to take hold of this team, and run with it.

I haven't seen one of us post anything negative about him, and that screams volumes to me.  Up here we fuck with everyone, and Knobs hasn't gathered the wrath of anyone I've seen in this forum.

If anything, I hope Drury gives this guy a chance.  I think I took @Phil's view to heart.  Someone has to be the next Cooper/Quenneville...We may have it in house just waiting for us.

I'm going 100% in on Knoblauch...I'm hoping that's what we do now!

Edited by Ozzy

Given Hartford's play of late, Knoblauch intrigues me. If not for their playoff run, I'm not sure he'd even really cross my mind. His relationship with Gord Murphy also worries me. I've seen enough from Murphy over these last two years to think he's not the guy who should be running the defense at all, but he and Knoblauch have a running working relationship. You might not get Knoblauch without having to keep Murphy, and that might be too much for me.

30 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Given Hartford's play of late, Knoblauch intrigues me. If not for their playoff run, I'm not sure he'd even really cross my mind. His relationship with Gord Murphy also worries me. I've seen enough from Murphy over these last two years to think he's not the guy who should be running the defense at all, but he and Knoblauch have a running working relationship. You might not get Knoblauch without having to keep Murphy, and that might be too much for me.

Like the rest of the team, I'd give Murphy a chance without GG. For all we know GG could have been a "Don't give the guys too much to think about" type of stuff. Murphy may have had plans he couldn't apply. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Like the rest of the team, I'd give Murphy a chance without GG. For all we know GG could have been a "Don't give the guys too much to think about" type of stuff. Murphy may have had plans he couldn't apply. 

This is fair. Much in the way I think Jacques Martin only had so much influence on defense under Quinn.

• Believe 1

I could see Knobby having a much more hands on approach too.  This would be his first NHL gig as a Head coach, and I like the fact that he'd be hungry.

Gallant took fucking ZERO accountability.  That "Go talk to the other coach" shit didn't fly with me at all!  If Knobby works well with Murphy, then fuck it!!!  I'll roll with it.  @Pete makes a decent point there.  It's possible Gallant could've gotten in the way...

It's weird that certain guys are sticking around, and others are getting the heave ho.  There's gotta be some wacky shit that happened backstage that we don't know about.  Just strange that some guys are still staying and others got the gate.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Keeps it 100 1

1. So if the Maple Leafs, trailing the Panthers 3-0 and facing a second-round sweep Wednesday night in Sunrise, do go down without a substantial response, would general manager Kyle Dubas return on an expiring contract, and more to the point, what about the future of head coach Sheldon Keefe?

See where we are going here?

If the 42-year-old Keefe should part ways with the organization, he would presumably become a person of interest in the Rangers’ coaching search.

Toronto has been undermined by the team’s best players’ inability to be the team’s best players in the playoffs throughout Keefe’s four-year tenure. The Maple Leafs have been too talent-oriented while attempting to patch the grit issue. All of that might sound familiar.

In the end, that might be disqualifying for the coach whose team went 0-7 in potential series clinchers over four years before finally taking out the Lightning on their second try in Round 1 for the franchise’s first series victory since 2004.

But Keefe has experience dealing with marquee players. There is structure in Toronto. He has experience under the spotlight with wattage a hundred times greater than the one in New York.

And, guaranteed, he will become a much smarter coach with Igor Shesterkin as his No. 1 rather than the conglomeration of Freddie Andersen, Jack Campbell, Ilya Samsonov, Matt Murray and Joseph Woll with which he has worked in Toronto.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/09/rangers-could-eye-sheldon-keefe-if-maple-leafs-move-on/

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

Keefes NHL failures are exactly why I don't want Knoblauch. Winning with AHL and college teams hasn't equated to anything at the NHL level. His teams are always wiped out early and handedly come playoff time. Just as with Eakins, these guys don't always pan out. They flop. And these guys have had all world talent to work with. 

They just fired Gallant after an ECF  appearance,  and a a loss in the first round. Keefe is ALWAYS eliminated in the 1st round. Now it's the 2nd. 

Why would they want Keefe? Why would they want Knoblauch? 

No. Just NO. 

Edited by The Dude

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Keefes NHL failures are exactly why I don't want Knoblauch. Winning with AHL and college teams hasn't equated to anything at the NHL level. His teams are always wiped out early and handedly come playoff time. Just as with Eakins, these guys don't always pan out. They flop. And these guys have had all world talent to work with. 

They just fired Gallant after an ECF  appearance,  and a a loss in the first round. Keefe is ALWAYS eliminated in the 1st round. Now it's the 2nd. 

Why would they want Keefe? Why would they want Knoblauch? 

No. Just NO.

Except that this is easily refuted by pointing to the last two Cup-winning head coaches in Jared Bednar and Jon Cooper, both of whom were winning AHL coaches who were promoted and turned their NHL clubs into winners, too.

Keefe and Knoblauch aren't remotely comparable in this scenario, and I don't want Keefe, either.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

No way to Keefe. He's just a different brand of GG.

I just don't see the point. The problem with this group is it's veteran-laden and stubborn, so let's can the successful regular season coach who's club just cratered in the playoffs for the <checks notes> successful regular season coach who's club is currently cratering in the playoffs?

Sidebar: imagine being Jimmy Vesey reading this? 🤣

• Like 2
  • LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

I just don't see the point. The problem with this group is it's veteran-laden and stubborn, so let's can the successful regular season coach who's club just cratered in the playoffs for the <checks notes> successful regular season coach who's club is currently cratering in the playoffs?

Sidebar: imagine being Jimmy Vesey reading this? 🤣

Exactly. It's not a solution. 

And we need to keep Vesey happy. He's the key. 

• Keeps it 100 1