• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You guys do all realize that Mike Keenan never sniffs that cup in '94 without Mark Messier, right?

Bringing in a vet HC to get over the top isn't going to work unless the Rangers find their Messier also.

Knoblauch at least gives us a shot with the kids and he also gives us closure if he can't get it done because he and Drury and Murphy all go in the wash.

The league has changed since then. You don't need a Messier (all time great and at the time all around player). Who was the Messier/ Keenan dynamic for the Avs last year? Tampa before them?

Knoblauch has hardly coached ANY of the kids on the Rangers roster. What'd he have Chytil for 2 weeks ( previous coach had him for 42 games). Shesterkin was Shesterkin without Knoblauch..Are we going to credit the 9 games Lindgren played for him as a relationship? 24 games for Schneider? Ok maybe.. 

He's had Cuylle,  Jones and Robertson as guys that stand a chance to be on the Rangers roster this coming year. None are a given. 

This kids stuff is a non factor. He had nothing to do with Kakko, Lafrenière, Miller, and barely anything with Schneider and Chytil. This narrative is DOA. 

42 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well... Yeah?

Titles is winning. Thats the gauge man.  If titles don't matter,  why get rid of Gallant and why bring up his (Knoblauch) 2 titles at other levels? 

Best option is the guy that actually wins at every level. 

He's been coaching in the AHL for 4 years and his record isn't that good. So, no. Not success at every level.  I'm pretty sure I can go find a random coach that won a title in 2 Jr leagues that isn't in any discussion at all.  

You're saying hes won at every level,  yet his record with Hartford hasn't anything to brag about and I'm not going to act like I know much about Jr leagues, but the OHL and WHL are the same levels.  Right?  So at 2 (3 if you count his Flyers assistant gig) levels. He's  only won at 1 level. Not all. 

Yes, he has Hartford in the playoffs. His team finished 13th in the standings and 5th in his division. Is that success? 

Maybe my opinion changes a bit if he drags that pile of slop to an AHL title this year. 

I'm hoping they fill the job before then. These quality names aren't going to be available long. 

I don’t care enough about Knob to keep going. I think he‘s qualified and deserves a look. I do find it funny you want him to take “a pile of slop” to a Calder Cup win to “maybe” change your mind lol

John Cooper, acknowledged hockey genius.  Do you know when the Lightning won their first Stanley Cup?   The seventh full year of his tenure (7+ years).

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/coopejo01c.html

Do you want to know the last Rangers coach to have that many years at the helm?

Emile Francis, 1966-1975

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/coaches.html

But by all means, let's keep on expecting coaches to be able to 'prove' they can win a Cup in 2 or 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

I’m not advocating for him or anything (not yet at least) but what ever happened to Claude Julien? I remember a few years back, there were murmurs about the Rangers potentially having interest in him, as he was available at the time. Since then, I feel like I haven’t heard anything about him. I thought he had gone to Europe but I wasn’t 100% sure.

What ever happened to the guy? I feel like his teams always played hard and had success. Is he someone the Rangers may consider?

2 hours ago, fletch said:

Emile Francis, 1966-1975

Actually, not accurate.  While Francis was GM from 1965 to the first week of 1976, Red Sullivan, Bernie Geoffrion, Larry Popein and Ron Stewart were the coach for significant chunks through that time.  Neil Smith's tenure as GM was actually slightly longer than Francis's.

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Actually, not accurate.  While Francis was GM from 1965 to the first week of 1976, Red Sullivan, Bernie Geoffrion, Larry Popein and Ron Stewart were the coach for significant chunks through that time.  Neil Smith's tenure as GM was actually slightly longer than Francis's.

Good to know, I just went off my source hockey reference - I wasn't born when his tenure started. From his record, though, it looked like he had some good success.

9 hours ago, fletch said:

John Cooper, acknowledged hockey genius.  Do you know when the Lightning won their first Stanley Cup?   The seventh full year of his tenure (7+ years).

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/coopejo01c.html

Emile Francis, 1966-1975

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/coaches.html

But by all means, let's keep on expecting coaches to be able to 'prove' they can win a Cup in 2 or 3 years.

I'd expect this argument based on someone who didn't actually watch this team the last 2 years.

Dude, this forum debated all last year whether the team was actually good, because the record says they were but almost every other metric said they weren't.  The numbers presented said they were a bubble playoff team if they got league-average goaltending. It was all Shesty and the PP and that proved out in the end because the team still couldn't score at 5v5 in the ECF and the PPs dried up.

And honestly everyone is still ignoring last year's playoffs where they frankly just got lucky with injuries to other teams. Kudos to them for capitalizing on Trouba's elbows.

This year, not much changed. Better offensively at 5v5, but worse defensively. This team was one of the worst in giving up prime ice and prime scoring chances and again it played out as the reason they lost.

They went out and got depth last year, didn't work. They went out and got top line players this year, didn't work.

You keep coming back to the playoffs and who's to blame, but it's so much deeper than that. You're ignoring that this guy gets fired early, often, and even Vegas let him go mid-season when they had a winning record. Playoffs aside the Rangers were looking to replace him in November! Everyone just glosses over that because they're so focused on how it ended, but it wasn't utopia all season.

There are hallmarks of a well coached team, and this team doesn't have them.

• Seemingly unprepared for games
  • Bad at zone exits, no breakout plan
  • Bad at zone entries, no forechecking scheme 
  • No killer instinct, take their foot off the gas with a lead
  • Lack of accountability, "talk to the other coach", "I'm doing my job, THEY need to play harder"

All signs point to GG being a fraud. I'd rather them cut bait than keep a bad coach for the sake of continuity or for optics.

Edited by Pete
  • Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 2

Again, the Rangers were sloppily put together last season.  The Tarasenko deal is very defensible but the Kane deal looks a lot like the FO lost focus on what would make the Rangers a stronger team and instead went for the name.

The name actually made the Rangers worse come playoff time.

• VINNY! 2

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Again, the Rangers were sloppily put together last season.  The Tarasenko deal is very defensible but the Kane deal looks a lot like the FO lost focus on what would make the Rangers a stronger team and instead went for the name.

The name actually made the Rangers worse come playoff time.

They weren't sloppily put together. They were missing two top 6 RWs in Kakko and Krav and Drury went and got them.

Whatever happened after that is on GG. Brooks even wrote and article about how when Kane got here, GG disrupted what was working on the PP by putting Kane on PP1 and Tank on PP2.

It's like you want to blame everything and every one, instead of the guy who deserves it.

It was Kane!

No, it was Panarin!

Oh wait it was Drury!

But It couldn't be GG...Nah. 

Come on.

I really don’t care who the next coach is.  Just want him to install some defensive structure to the team and be able to handle matchups.   Why is it that other teams always manage to get their top lines out against our bottom lines and defensive pairing but we can never do it?

• Like 1

The gold standard for sustained excellence is winning 2 cups in 5 years.  Every hallowed franchise and the dynasties meet this standard.  The Rangers last accomplished this in 1927 and 1932.

We were close to 2 titles with the ex-Oilers, but even that team is symptomatic of the word most associated with the Rangers organization - impatience.  We took the opportunity to grab some great players, and it was fantastic fun.  But it certainly wasn't building through the draft, developing young players, carefully crafting a system.  That doesn't fly in NYC, because the Rangers are all about winning right now, this year.  Unless it doesn't work out, then it's win now, the next year.  The Rangers organization appears to attempt to max out each year, sacrificing 3-5 year long-planning, and it permeates roster construction, player development, coach evaluation, locker room culture.  I don't know why we would bother to install a AHL, NHL assistant coach, or college coach as Rangers head coach, because we would never give that individual enough time to see if they were capable of leading a NHL team to a Cup.  We should stick to established NHL coaches, and keep looking for that last magical player piece, to have a run and at least capture one Cup.  The Rangers organization certainly isn't building toward sustained excellence with existing locker room culture, player development, or roster construction.

I would acknowledge that would appear to be in the Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson realm of possibility, but at the same time I should tell you that I received an unsolicited text from a player late Thursday who said the rumor “was getting pretty loud.”

https://nypost.com/2023/05/13/maple-leafs-penguins-scenario-could-bring-mike-sullivan-to-rangers/

Brooksie keeps banging this drum. Maybe it has legs? I highly, highly doubt it. I just don’t see it. If it ever were to happen, I think for sure he would be the guy. But again, just don’t see it happening.

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

https://nypost.com/2023/05/13/maple-leafs-penguins-scenario-could-bring-mike-sullivan-to-rangers/

Brooksie keeps banging this drum. Maybe it has legs? I highly, highly doubt it. I just don’t see it. If it ever were to happen, I think for sure he would be the guy. But again, just don’t see it happening.

Of course it's not going to happen, and he even states why in the article.

But the fly-in lab pertains to Sullivan’s relationship with the Penguins’ Fenway Sports Group ownership that fired president Brian Burke and GM Ron Hextall after the season, yet not only retained Sullivan but has included him as a member of influence in the ongoing GM search.

The question in Pittsburgh is this: Would the incoming GM be obligated to retain Sullivan, who has four years remaining on his contract?

Why would they involve him in hiring a GM if keeping him wasn't a mandate?

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

https://nypost.com/2023/05/16/peter-laviolette-could-be-rangers-boring-and-best-coaching-choice/

Brooksie lauding a potential hire of Laviolette while essentially saying hiring Mike Babcock would make people puke.

Before anyone calls me out, yes, @The Dude is actually my alter ego burner account where I like to test out some unorthodox ideas. I collect feedback in response, and the ones that stick to enough posters I put them in my columns. I mix in a few popular ideas too, like the Laviollete take, just so people don’t think the light is on but nobody’s home when I go with something like “trade Fox”. I won’t be writing about trading Fox.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 5
  • VINNY! 1

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

https://nypost.com/2023/05/16/peter-laviolette-could-be-rangers-boring-and-best-coaching-choice/

Brooksie lauding a potential hire of Laviolette while essentially saying hiring Mike Babcock would make people puke.

Pumped up Leach pretty good as well while he's been downplaying Knob quite a bit lately too.

Hartford coach Kris Knoblauch merits an interview, but there is no sense that he is a leading contender

Edited by jsrangers

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Boner. Huge boner. 

The guy typically gets results. He is aces with mixed rosters. He's been able to win AND develop prospects,  everywhere he's gone --- except for Washington,  but Washington hasn't really had much coming through the system that I'm aware of (yes, I know I'm not aware of a lot lol)..

Look at that track record!  He's the guy. 

And trade Fox.....

Because that's what I want to do.

Totally. 

Edited by The Dude

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Since 2017

Coach A

Reg Season: 234-140-51, .610 point %

Playoffs: 12-18, 1 playoff series win

Coach B

Reg Season: 217-121-39, .627 point %

Playoffs: 29-25, 5 series wins, 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance, 2 Conference Finals appearances.

Nice strategic cut off date. Why would you cut off Laviolettes accomplishments to the year after his last cup appearance? 

I can't determine who Coach B is, that is available.