• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

He's not deflecting. He's actually doing a really good job, and his good decisions far outweigh his bad. That's why you never really hear about them, because mostly everything else he's done has been pretty good.

I wouldn't even call hiring Gallant a mistake. Not firing him this season in November was a mistake.

That's tough. He took them to the conference finals the year prior and hit a skid in the beginning of the year. I don't blame him for keeping Gallant around this past year at all. The record speaks for itself. No one knew a huge flame out was coming in round one. He made the right decision at the right time imo.

But on the flip side, I was def calling for his firing in November too. I'm just glad Drury didn't rush in and make decisions that threw the team into a larger tizzy.

27 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

That's tough. He took them to the conference finals the year prior and hit a skid in the beginning of the year. I don't blame him for keeping Gallant around this past year at all. The record speaks for itself. No one knew a huge flame out was coming in round one. He made the right decision at the right time imo.

But on the flip side, I was def calling for his firing in November too. I'm just glad Drury didn't rush in and make decisions that threw the team into a larger tizzy.

I think many other coaches brought in in November could have gotten more out of this roster. 

It would also seem that in November, another quality coach was unavailable. I'm glad they didn't turn it over to the assistants. Murphy especially. 

• Keeps it 100 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

He's not deflecting. He's actually doing a really good job, and his good decisions far outweigh his bad. That's why you never really hear about them, because mostly everything else he's done has been pretty good.

I wouldn't even call hiring Gallant a mistake. Not firing him this season in November was a mistake.

I wish I had your confidence, I see holes up and down the organization.  And I think it's time for 1 or 2 assistant captains to lose the 'A' off their jersey.  Neither their conduct or play is worthy, and it would actually deliver a message.  Rangers hand out assistant captain jerseys like Halloween candy... for life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fletch said:

I wish I had your confidence, I see holes up and down the organization.  And I think it's time for 1 or 2 assistant captains to lose the 'A' off their jersey.  Neither their conduct or play is worthy, and it would actually deliver a message.  Rangers hand out assistant captain jerseys like Halloween candy... for life.

This is only his second full season. If you see holes, he needs time to address that. And frankly, the biggest holes are on right wing and he's went out and got right wings at the deadline for two straight years, for basically not a lot. 

As far as the alternate captains, he doesn't make that decision, the coach does. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

This is only his second full season. If you see holes, he needs time to address that. And frankly, the biggest holes are on right wing and he's went out and got right wings at the deadline for two straight years, for basically not a lot. 

As far as the alternate captains, he doesn't make that decision, the coach does. 

So does that mean that under the new coach you think Trouba should be captain and Goodrow, Kreider, Panarin, and Zibanejad should be assistants?  Or do you not have enough information to have an opinion?  This is independent of the coaching thread, and can be discussed in another thread (if needed).

8 minutes ago, fletch said:

So does that mean that under the new coach you think Trouba should be captain and Goodrow, Kreider, Panarin, and Zibanejad should be assistants?  Or do you not have enough information to have an opinion?  This is independent of the coaching thread, and can be discussed in another thread (if needed).

I never thought Trouba should be captain, but mostly because I think he should be traded and I don't like the idea of constantly trading and shuffling captains.

Goodrow, yes. Guy has Cups and does whatever is asked of him on the ice.

Kreider, don't really have an issue with it.

Zib, yes. He's arguably the best player on the team and does a fantastic job working the refs, which is easier with a letter.

Panarin probably the weakest case but I get why it was done. "We expect a lot from you, on and off the ice".

They have too many A's anyway. FWIW I'd be putting an A on Lindgren's shit yesterday, were it up to me, and there would only be 2 A's. I don't think anyone is ready for the C, and Trouba showed last year that if the best you have to offer is throwing gear, it's not good enough.

Ultimately, the leadership group has become "These guys go and talk to the coach when the players have a message and the coach is unapproachable" for too many teams. I would move away from that construct.

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Thanks. I did have to make some rather lengthy phone calls and targeted DMs on here before publishing this one. I needed to make sure @Ozzy had the proper support team around him after he reads the coach Q portion.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

Good article, it is all speculation. I'd imagine a hire will be made by the time the draft rolls around. Nice to hear the retread scenario may not be a desire for the FO after interviewing those available. Why would we want Sheldon Keefe though? That seems like an odd desire.

https://www.1stohiobattery.com/columbus-blue-jackets-analysis/2023/05/7862/coaching-profiles-jay-leach-is-an-assistant-coach-for-the-kraken-could-he-be-the-head-coach-in-columbus

No name source but they sourced their info so I'll post it. I think you might be onto something here Phil. A part of three very successful organizations and although he hasn't won anything; that's a helluva resume.

Pandolfo is also an interesting option knowing he has won a couple cups even though his coaching resume is limited.

Edited by jsm7302

Just now, The Dude said:

Can someone tell me why Sullivan is a more tantalizing option than Laviolette? The supposed knock on Laviolette is that he hasn't done well the last 4 years. Yet, neither has Sullivan.  

He’s not. Crosby and co. carried him to a couple of Cups and everyone thinks he’s a great coach now. Meanwhile he got blamed for the PP sucking when he was an assistant here. Lol.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Can someone tell me why Sullivan is a more tantalizing option than Laviolette? The supposed knock on Laviolette is that he hasn't done well the last 4 years. Yet, neither has Sullivan.  

More recent success for Sullivan.

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Why is that?

If for no other reason than the fact he was hand picked by the two franchises the team/Drury wants to emulate. Boston (Providence) and Pittsburgh (Wilkes-Barre).

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

https://www.1stohiobattery.com/columbus-blue-jackets-analysis/2023/05/7862/coaching-profiles-jay-leach-is-an-assistant-coach-for-the-kraken-could-he-be-the-head-coach-in-columbus

No name source but they sourced their info so I'll post it. I think you might be onto something here Phil. A part of three very successful organizations and although he hasn't won anything; that's a helluva resume.

Pandolfo is also an interesting option knowing he has won a couple cups even though his coaching resume is limited.

Pandolfo isn't leaving BU, I read. Believe he was only recently named head coach there, and Friedman noted he's not interested in NHL gigs at the moment.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

He’s not. Crosby and co. carried him to a couple of Cups and everyone thinks he’s a great coach now. Meanwhile he got blamed for the PP sucking when he was an assistant here. Lol.

Laviolette hasn't won anything in 20 years.

Crosby carried him to a couple cups, what happened the prior years?

The Rangers were collection of 60 point players when he was an assistant.  Of course the PP sucked.

Edited by Long live the King
  • Bullseye 1

10 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Laviolette hasn't won anything in 20 years.

Crosby carried him to a couple cups, what happened the prior years?

The Rangers were collection of 60 point players when he was an assistant.  Of course the PP sucked.

Gaborik, their best player, was noted for being particularly bad on the PP. Christensen was the top line C for half of Sullivan’s tenure. Del Zotto and Callahan were on the top PP almost his entire tenure. The PP was most definitely a personnel issue.

• VINNY! 1