• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I hear what you're saying, but there were a ton of upsets in both rounds, so I don't think the path was as easy as everybody thought before the playoffs started.

So true. Cats are playing the game the way playoffs were made to played...HEAVY..

Rangers play the opposite of that and would've been battered into submission.

Team needs a bit of rework and starting with the conductor is a good plan but definitely not the only answer.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

I hear what you're saying, but there were a ton of upsets in both rounds, so I don't think the path was as easy as everybody thought before the playoffs started.

Yeah, should've said "easier"...but not really!!!  LOL

I thought Boston was built to romp through these playoffs but my, how things changed!

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This is a bad narrative though. To a man, the players did not have good things to say. Even The kids were quoted during the season as saying they want the line changing to stop, they came out at the end of the season and said they wanted more playing time and more power play time. Nobody was happy with him.  

But let's blame Panarin. 

Is there a link to the player exit interviews? I've heard it mentioned a few times that they didn't have anything good to say, but haven't seen what was actually said.

39 minutes ago, RangerDanger said:

Is there a link to the player exit interviews? I've heard it mentioned a few times that they didn't have anything good to say, but haven't seen what was actually said.

They’re private meetings between drury and the players so no link. But it was reported to echo what’s basically being said here 

1 hour ago, RangerDanger said:

35 minutes ago, siddious said:

They’re private meetings between drury and the players so no link. But it was reported to echo what’s basically being said here 

I posted in another thread, listen to Mercogliano's latest pod. He basically said that in year 1 Gallant's hands-off approach was a breath of fresh air, but by year 2 many players felt it was too hands-off, they needed help, and he didn't have it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

I posted in another thread, listen to Mercogliano's latest pod. He basically said that in year 1 Gallant's hands-off approach was a breath of fresh air, but by year 2 many players felt it was too hands-off, they needed help, and he didn't have it.

Thanks Gents.

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

It’s a valid complaint from the kids, but using it as a crutch for Panarin slunking out in the playoffs 2x after posting over 90 points 2x is as weak an excuse as it gets.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s a valid complaint from the kids, but using it as a crutch for Panarin slunking out in the playoffs 2x after posting over 90 points 2x is as weak an excuse as it gets.

Idk man; a change in zone entry or some set plays in the zone could probably rectify a bit of Panarins issues. Suggestions from the coach would be beneficial. He's a pro, he's not a rookie, etc, I get all that but taking a bird's eye view and critiquing is much more beneficial at times than trying to figure things out real time on the ice. Regardless, it could happen that under another coach he flourishes post season with a lil help.

21 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Idk man; a change in zone entry or some set plays in the zone could probably rectify a bit of Panarins issues. Suggestions from the coach would be beneficial. He's a pro, he's not a rookie, etc, I get all that but taking a bird's eye view and critiquing is much more beneficial at times than trying to figure things out real time on the ice. Regardless, it could happen that under another coach he flourishes post season with a lil help.

And to add to that, part of being a coach is getting players to do things they might not want to do, or might not otherwise do.

Bowman turned Yzerman into a 200ft physical player at 28/29.

If they weren't listening to his direction (and that's a big if), it's because they weren't buying what he was selling...to a man. That's a problem.

GG hadda go. And he's gone. Clean slates until the playoffs.

At the same time Drury also mentioned during every player exit interview they all made it clear they were on the hook for the result as well and nobody was looking to get off of the hook. That part seems to be overlooked at times.

"Excuse me, there were bad people on both sides, both sides" or something along those lines as a famous "leader" once said when assessing a disastrous situation 🤣

Edited by jsrangers

1 hour ago, Blueshirts1926 said:

The mere fact they have not already chosen Knoblach means they want one of the assistants from the final 4, just IMO

Wouldn’t say that. 

There isn’t a deep pool of experienced guys out there you can point to and identify as the solution to our ails.

I think Drury will slow play this, and for just cause. Either a surprise or 2 emerges on the market, or you wait to interview all parties you want to interview who you may need to do a little extra homework on.

Drury absolutely needs to nail this hiring. For his own and for the sake of this franchise. It’s a very, very important hire. He needs to get this right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

For his own and for the sake of this franchise.

This is really dramatic. I don't think it's this serious. The franchise will not collapse if they hire a bad coach, and as long as Drury keeps adding quality players at low costs, his job is safe too. 

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

This is really dramatic. I don't think it's this serious. The franchise will not collapse if they hire a bad coach, and as long as Drury keeps adding quality players at low costs, his job is safe too. 

I’m not so sure.

This team wrote a letter, rebuilt and did a 180 from where they were in 2018. If they don’t get this right and win a Cup and soon, then we could find ourselves in a hell of a lot of trouble soon. Especially when it comes to what to do with Igor in 2 years when he is UFA.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m not so sure.

This team wrote a letter, rebuilt and did a 180 from where they were in 2018. If they don’t get this right and win a Cup and soon, then we could find ourselves in a hell of a lot of trouble soon. Especially when it comes to what to do with Igor in 2 years when he is UFA.

I think the coach pick will tell us a lot about what kind of job assurances and free reign Drury has from Dolan. There are “try to win now” retread options and there are more “long term vision” options.

If Drury doesn’t have medium to long term job assurances, he’ll be going for it now with Laviolette, Babcock, etc. If he does have job assurances, I think he looks for the diamond in the rough ala Knoblauch, Leach, etc. Either way, I agree with the general sentiment that Drury’s job is on the line. If he picks win now and doesn’t win within probably 2 seasons, he’s gone. If he picks long term vision, and there isn’t serious progress from the young guys within the same 2 years, he’s also gone.

Long term vision is the way to go IMO.

• Keeps it 100 1

Drury just fired a coach who took the Rangers to the playoffs back to back seasons and not regular season flukes either year.

If they take a step back now it will definitely put him in peril.

If they take a step back with a retread coach it will look like he is flailing.

Edited by Br4d
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Drury just fired a coach who took the Rangers to the playoffs back to back seasons and not regular season flukes either year.

That’s my point.

Listen, I get the sentiment with Gallant. And I’m not saying I wholeheartedly disagree with it. He definitely had his warts for sure.

But, 110 points and 107 points are what they are. And so was getting to the Conference Finals a year ago. If this team doesn’t see the same success, and if they now regress under a new coach, that will 100% fall on Drurys front door. He may not be handed his walking papers, but his seat will surely become hot.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I don't think the org has the stomach to risk playing themselves out of the current window of opportunity especially if they believe the talent is in the room. I don't think they're looking or even willing to tread water for a couple seasons while their top players burn another couple seasons to see what 1+2 bring in their 4/5+ seasons. Especially if the prevailing thought is their best player will become unaffordable when his current deal runs out. All whole the team across the river continues their progress forward. I just don't see patience being an asset all of the sudden. 

Last season Mika finally warmed up in round 1 after Trouba decked Crosby.  Chytil got hot in round 2.  Fox was good all around and after Trouba decked the 'Canes kid the Rangers got to the ECF.

I don't think the case has been made that the Rangers have the talent in the room to win a cup at this point.  They have nobody who is a genuinely great 5v5 player.  There is not a single player on the roster that I would count on to take over a 7 game series and dominate.  That's one of the pre-reqs in my opinion to have a chance at a cup.

Igor doesn't count because goalies just don't do that for you in the modern NHL.  I don't know that they ever did.

34 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Heard this defense of Gallant, and I don't buy it. This team with this talent and payroll had no business not being in the playoffs. And really until Trouba flinging the helmet, they were struggling mightily. There were too many nights they barely showed up , being unable to  mounting any offense. Think Jets and Sens in March. Or when they  collapsed at the first sign of adversity, like the Oilers in November. There were a mess of games they completely shat the bed. With a coach that had some ability to get their asses in gear, this should have been the division  winner. A paragraph's worth of saying Gallant deserved being fired without even discussing the 1st round debacle. 

And really if you want to watch that series and tell me that was competent, involved coaching, smart deployment of talent,  A PLAN, well. The Plan appeared to be have the best goalie in the world and hope this herd of cats talent scored enough to carry the day. If you watched last night, 2 teams played up to 6 periods of hockey(went to bed after that) without allowing a single clean breakaway or 2 on 1. That's a plan. 

Edited by Bugg
  • TroCheckmark 1