• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

On 5/19/2023 at 10:25 PM, CCCP said:

Drury has a 7 year window. He’s not getting canned earlier unless he does something stupid like trading Laf

How far into those 7 years are we currently? That seems like an awfully long leash. 

On 5/12/2023 at 5:33 PM, The Dude said:

Not one winning season in the AHL, with zero surprise prospects that were coached up beyond expectations, to the NHL. 

Drury hand picked him. And? He hasn’t done anything to earn the job.  Seriously. Why should he get the job?  Nothing worth noting about the Wolfpack in 4 (yes I understand that 2 of those seasons,  there were no playoffs, but the divisional record wasn't really good) years. Why?  I'm missing something,  and if someone could fill me in on why exactly Knoblauch is getting so much chatter, I'd appreciate it.  

It's equal to giving the job to Ken Genander over Torts or AV back in those years, just because he's been a good soldier in the organization despite not winning anything and not developing much if anything. 

You'd think winning would be part of a resume for an AHL coach who is being considered for an NHL gig.  I guess not. 

If he's being considered (and he shouldn't be), it's because he's more of a camp counselor, than a real coach. Someone to make sure there are no issues in the locker-room, the new brand of NHL coaches. Coaches that are there to coach, and do the things the things that are necessary to get the best out of their players seem to be a dying breed. It's a different game. If they went out and hired someone like Babcock, I would be surprised. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, siddious said:

What the hell Is that website 

That's funny. It popped on my feed, I clicked, read and posted here and then looked at the source and said the same thing to myself. Damn Google and populating ridiculous garbage into my feed!!

• LOL 1

8 hours ago, Karan said:

How far into those 7 years are we currently? That seems like an awfully long leash. 

A year in? 
can anyone really judge a GM and his body of work in less than 7 years or so unless they do something stupid? Drafting, trading, signing right FAs and building a team all takes time. I think 6-7 years is the least anount of time needed. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 11:25 PM, CCCP said:

Drury has a 7 year window. He’s not getting canned earlier unless he does something stupid like trading Laf

14 hours ago, CCCP said:

A year in? 
can anyone really judge a GM and his body of work in less than 7 years or so unless they do something stupid? Drafting, trading, signing right FAs and building a team all takes time. I think 6-7 years is the least anount of time needed. 

22 hours ago, Karan said:

The Rangers are firing coaches for not winning a Cup or showing substantial progress toward a Cup in two or three years, but we're going to allow Drury to fuck up organizational management, philosophy, and the roster for 7 years?  Sure, no disconnect there.

• Like 1

Sullivan + Keefe:

While Pittsburgh coach Mike Sullivan remains a pipedream − he'd be the top choice if he were to shake free, but the new Penguins' ownership group seems intent on keeping him around − the situation in Toronto is worth monitoring. Two sources believe that the exit of general manager Kyle Dubas increases the chances of the Maple Leafs moving on from head coach Sheldon Keefe. It's possible they won't make that decision until a new GM is hired, but it's plausible that Keefe would land on Drury's interview list if he does become available.

Quenneville:

Another notable development involves controversial candidate Joel Quenneville. According to TSN's Darren Dreger, the three-time Stanley Cup winner is expected to meet with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman as soon as the season ends to “review his status." Has he been crossed off the Rangers' list entirety? Or would a pending reinstatement put him back in the mix? There is belief that initial reports of cooling interest were based more on doubts about whether he'd even be an option, as opposed to the organization taking a moral stance against a man who was involved in covering up sexual assault allegations against former Chicago Blackhawks video coach Brad Aldrich.

While Quenneville is back on the radar, it's still fair to call him a long shot − especially considering a decision on his future may not come for another month. But no one would be surprised if the coaching search lingers into June.

Laviolette:

Among the currently available names, the one who continues to come up in conversations is Peter Laviolette. His next NHL head coaching gig will be his sixth, but multiple sources believe he's at or near the top of the Rangers' list. He's also interviewed with the Columbus Blue Jackets, according to one person familiar with the situation.

Babcock:

The other veteran coach who has been mentioned repeatedly is Mike Babcock. There's a checkered past there, too, with former players accusing the 60-year-old of bullying tactics. But the Blueshirts have definitely made calls and done their homework on him, with one source saying "the door hasn't been closed" on that option.

Carbery, Knoblauch, Leach:

Among the coaches with no history of running an NHL bench, there are at least three who have been connected to New York: Leafs assistant Spencer Carbery, AHL Hartford head coach Kris Knoblauch and Kraken assistant Jay Leach. Each would represent something fresh and new, but doubts remain about whether the Blueshirts will go the inexperienced route. That may not exclusively be a Drury preference, either. As one source put it, going with an unknown would be a hard sell with owner James Dolan, who expects the team to compete for a championship next season.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/05/22/5-priorities-for-the-next-rangers-coach/70235432007/

12 minutes ago, siddious said:

Nothing we basically didn’t already know. Drury SHOULD be interviewing every candidate to cover all bases. No one has a clue which way he’s leaning. 

The interesting thing will be how much Dolan weighs in on the decision (which we may never know). I want a new face so that would be Carbery, Knoblauch or Leach. I want a tough coach though who holds players accountable regardless of their name and salary.

2 hours ago, fletch said:

The Rangers are firing coaches for not winning a Cup or showing substantial progress toward a Cup in two or three years, but we're going to allow Drury to fuck up organizational management, philosophy, and the roster for 7 years?  Sure, no disconnect there.

Glen Sather gutted this team for how many years?  still employed.

coaches have a much shorter shelf life.  Their average employment lasts around 3 years, i think.  GM's average shelf life is much longer

2 hours ago, fletch said:

I agree, Drury the President has a much smaller window than 7 years imo. Longer than JD but not 7 years. Dolan isn't getting any younger. I don't believe his patience is growing with time. 

I feel like minus Quenneville who has a past history of championshipS; the remainders may have won a championship and not in recent times either so the argument is thin that any are proven winners. I'd point to Bednar and Cooper and make the argument that we need to handpick the proper up and comer who has the skillset needed to get them over the hump.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Nothing we basically didn’t already know. Drury SHOULD be interviewing every candidate to cover all bases. No one has a clue which way he’s leaning. 

Yeah. Interview them all and see where you’re at. 

24 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I don't have the bandwidth to go through 13+ pages of this thread, but if the Rangers are looking for a system guy, has anyone brought up Barry Trotz?

Hired to be GM of the Predators once Poile retires on June 30th. Just bought a house in Nashville. He's not on the market. 

• TroCheckmark 1

22 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I don't have the bandwidth to go through 13+ pages of this thread, but if the Rangers are looking for a system guy, has anyone brought up Barry Trotz?

News Flashes:

World War II over

Nixon resigns

WTC collapses

Barry Trotz signs as Predators' GM

• LMFAO 2

33 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

spacer.png

I kid, it happens to the best of us. But yea not available. 

• LMFAO 1

4 hours ago, CCCP said:

Glen Sather gutted this team for how many years?  still employed.

coaches have a much shorter shelf life.  Their average employment lasts around 3 years, i think.  GM's average shelf life is much longer

I just think it's odd that once a player is a veteran he's beyond reproach or accountability.

Similarly general managers apparently get 2 or 3 head coaching hires before organizations figure out that there are better options at GM.

Firing a coach must be oddly satisfying because it looks like the organization is doing something to change course and focus on winning more, when the GM is tasked with the organization's philosophy, structure, and coach/player acquisitions... and the players are actually responsible for the on-ice results.   Drury has done a good job deflecting attention away from the decisions he's made that have not worked out.

Edited by fletch
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fletch said:

I just think it's odd that once a player is a veteran he's beyond reproach or accountability.

Similarly general managers apparently get 2 or 3 head coaching hires before organizations figure out that there are better options at GM.

Firing a coach must be oddly satisfying because it looks like the organization is doing something to change course and focus on winning more, when the GM is tasked with the organization's philosophy, structure, and coach/player acquisitions... and the players are actually responsible for the on-ice results.   Drury has done a good job deflecting attention away from the decisions he's made that have not worked out.

He's not deflecting. He's actually doing a really good job, and his good decisions far outweigh his bad. That's why you never really hear about them, because mostly everything else he's done has been pretty good.

I wouldn't even call hiring Gallant a mistake. Not firing him this season in November was a mistake.