• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

Teaching this team defensive responsibility would be great. Ya know....like not letting guys camp at the top of the crease with their sticks unchecked or....teach them how to stand guys up at the blue line and transition to offense. My goodness.... Not saying I want Hynes but I'm tired of our guys not knowing standard defensive responsibility on a pro hockey team. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Teaching this team defensive responsibility would be great. Ya know....like not letting guys camp at the top of the crease with their sticks unchecked or....teach them how to stand guys up at the blue line and transition to offense. My goodness.... Not saying I want Hynes but I'm tired of our guys not knowing standard defensive responsibility on a pro hockey team. 

This would be nice

38 minutes ago, siddious said:

Hynes is so fucking awful as a coach. Preds fans on the interwebs are so thrilled he's gone. Never got past the first round of the playoffs with either the Devils or Predators.

Shut the fuck up, Stape. You should do more research on BSBH like Brooks.

• LMFAO 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

25 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Preds fans on the interwebs are so thrilled he's gone.

This is not an indicator of anything.

Just searching around for his style, he seems to covet what the Rangers are missing. But the players have to buy what he's selling.

Per ChatGPT (as of 2021)

John Hynes is an experienced National Hockey League (NHL) coach known for his disciplined and detail-oriented coaching style. While he has coached multiple teams, including the New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators, I will provide a general overview of his coaching approach based on his time in the NHL.

1. Defensive Structure: Hynes emphasizes a strong defensive structure in his coaching philosophy. He places a significant emphasis on defensive responsibilities and ensuring players are committed to playing a responsible two-way game. Hynes focuses on defensive zone coverage, shot blocking, and limiting high-quality scoring chances for opponents.

2. Systematic Approach: Hynes is known for implementing systematic approaches to the game. He emphasizes structured play and emphasizes the importance of executing game plans and strategies. Hynes emphasizes discipline and attention to detail, ensuring that his teams are well-prepared and aware of their roles and responsibilities on the ice.

3. Communication and Accountability: Hynes values clear communication with his players and holds them accountable for their performance. He establishes open lines of communication, both individually and as a team, to provide feedback, set expectations, and make adjustments. Hynes emphasizes the importance of players taking ownership of their performance and holding themselves accountable for their actions on and off the ice.

4. Development of Young Players: Hynes has a track record of working well with young players and aiding in their development. He has shown an ability to communicate effectively and provide guidance to help players improve their skills and adapt to the NHL level. Hynes prioritizes player development and strives to create an environment where young players can grow and contribute.

It's worth noting that coaching styles may evolve over time, and individual coaches may adapt their approaches based on the personnel and needs of their teams. The information provided reflects John Hynes' coaching style as known up until September 2021, and there may have been changes or developments since then.

15 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

How about we make this more intriguing?

@BrooksBurner care to elaborate?

Brooks is a moron. There's something called "due diligence". Has any job ever hired the first candidate interviewed? If so, explain why you fucked up.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The team just fired the coach who got them 110 and 107 points, two top 3 Metro finishes, and an ECF appearance ahead of schedule. You would think they would have a plan drawn up, or some kind of assurance that a guy who they want is readily available. They knew Laviolette would be available back in April, so from that angle it fits. However, there were, and still are, plenty of teams with coaching vacancies who may be interested. If Laviolette was who the Rangers envisioned, so much so they fired Gallant so quickly, there is no reason to take this long on supposed due diligence and risk losing him to another club. The Rangers don't seem to be in a rush. Whether they hire him or not, that's the biggest indicator that tells me there is a lack of excitement in the choice.

Let's go with an analogy. A high school boy is looking for a prom date. Let's call him Pete. Pete has a huge crush on this one girl and waits too long to ask her to go because he's doing due diligence on the girls at school. Joe Schmo comes along, asks her to the prom, and gets laid. Best sex of Joe Schmo's young life. Meanwhile, Pete is stuck with a backup 5 and gets gonorrhea. A really bad, raging case of gonorrhea if the rumors that I've heard are true.

I'm not a moron.

• LMFAO 3
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

If they are meeting again,  I'm assuming it's to haggle over money. 

Of what's left.  I'd rather Leach over Hynes, if Laviolette isn't the guy.

Brunette was the get as far as the more inexperienced guys. Gotta think he was intrigued by the thought of working with Trotz. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If they are meeting again,  I'm assuming it's to haggle over money. 

Of what's left.  I'd rather Leach over Hynes, if Laviolette isn't the guy.

Brunette was the get as far as the more inexperienced guys. Gotta think he was intrigued by the thought of working with Trotz. 

Nah. His agent would handle that. 

15 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Nah. His agent would handle that. 

Can't think of any other reason.  There's nothing saying his agent isn't/hasn't been present in their meetings.  Nothing saying he was.  I'd think that gets left out very often. 

Maybe it's a discussion about analytics.  Or a discussion on who joins him on the bench.  Drury maybe pushing that he accepts Knoblauch as an assistant?  Or maybe Leach? 

43 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The team just fired the coach who got them 110 and 107 points, two top 3 Metro finishes, and an ECF appearance ahead of schedule. You would think they would have a plan drawn up, or some kind of assurance that a guy who they want is readily available. They knew Laviolette would be available back in April, so from that angle it fits. However, there were, and still are, plenty of teams with coaching vacancies who may be interested. If Laviolette was who the Rangers envisioned, so much so they fired Gallant so quickly, there is no reason to take this long on supposed due diligence and risk losing him to another club. The Rangers don't seem to be in a rush. Whether they hire him or not, that's the biggest indicator that tells me there is a lack of excitement in the choice.

Let's go with an analogy. A high school boy is looking for a prom date. Let's call him Pete. Pete has a huge crush on this one girl and waits too long to ask her to go because he's doing due diligence on the girls at school. Joe Schmo comes along, asks her to the prom, and gets laid. Best sex of Joe Schmo's young life. Meanwhile, Pete is stuck with a backup 5 and gets gonorrhea. A really bad, raging case of gonorrhea if the rumors that I've heard are true.

I'm not a moron.

I didn't know your name was Pete. It makes so much sense now, of how angry you are that you always have to live in my shadow. Now I know why you are the way you are.

Let's not forget, the Rangers and GG "parted ways". That means they could have laid out a set of guidelines on what they wanted from him if he were to keep coaching the team, and he wasn't going to do it. No one really knows (and I doubt we ever will) what was said in that meeting.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I didn't know your name was Pete. It makes so much sense now, of how angry you are that you always have to live in my shadow. Now I know why you are the way you are.

Let's not forget, the Rangers and GG "parted ways". That means they could have laid out a set of guidelines on what they wanted from him if he were to keep coaching the team, and he wasn't going to do it. No one really knows (and I doubt we ever will) what was said in that meeting.

Why you gotta make it personal? 😢

I doubt it. Laviolette isn’t going to follow someone else’s guidelines either. If Drury wants that it’ll have to be a first timer.

Edited by BrooksBurner

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Brooks is a moron. There's something called "due diligence". Has any job ever hired the first candidate interviewed? If so, explain why you fucked up.

Got the next couple of weeks to sort this out. And suspect if every  other option blew up, Drury still can fall back on Knoblauch, which is who he probably would prefer anyway. Simply Knoblauch is  a hard sell for ownership and to a lesser extent a fan base.

This an aging roster that, despite a conference finals run last year, really has often played very dumb for the last 4 seasons. Drury knows as much; the team needs paddles applied or he'll be back  dumping salary and writing a heartfelt letter.

Drury doesn't want to be the next GM who wastes another all word goalie's career because the rest of the team is stupid and doesn't play defense nor listen to any coach.

54 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I doubt it. Laviolette isn’t going to follow someone else’s guidelines either. If Drury wants that it’ll have to be a first timer.

"Someone else's guidelines"; like playing defense, going to the net, having a PP that isn't as predictable as tides and the sun.

It's not surprising Drury and Gallant had a blow up during Devils series. How much total indifference to common fucking sense can you stand? You cannot dump 23 skaters so the coach goes if he cannot get through their thick fuckin' skulls. Watching how this tournament has played out should haunt these fuckers. What ever you think of Gallant, his swan song about talent mattering only so much was an indictment of the players. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Laviolette might not have the same mandates because he's a real coach. 

If it is Laviolette; we all knew it the whole time. It is the typical Ranger move. The big name on the market. A sect of us want to see the development of a coach along with the team into a winner over the next few seasons. But at the end of the day I'd be shocked if it wasn't Laviolette.

Still on the Jay Leach or Knoblauch wagon though.

36 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

If it is Laviolette; we all knew it the whole time. It is the typical Ranger move. The big name on the market. A sect of us want to see the development of a coach along with the team into a winner over the next few seasons. But at the end of the day I'd be shocked if it wasn't Laviolette.

Still on the Jay Leach or Knoblauch wagon though.

Everybody loves to point at the Coopers and the Bednars, but in Cooper's case he was highly successful because he coached a lot of those players in the AHL. I don't think Knob would have that type of success with the young players on this team because he never coached them, or with the older players.

That's not saying he couldn't do it, I'm just saying they're not in a position where they can take a chance on a first-time coach and have him grow with the team. This team's not growing right now, they're trying to win and the coach should be a reflection of that.

Bringing young players along is important, but there are no more young players on this team. They are all in their 4th 5th and 6th year. The ultimate goal is winning. This is a professional league, not a developmental one.

Unless you are literally tearing it down to the studs, there's nothing wrong with hiring a coach that has experience. The term retread is a garbage moniker. It's the equivalent of saying you're only allowed to have one job, because if you get fired from it you're a retread and nobody should hire you again because retread. 

It all comes down to two questions, is what you're selling working in today's game (In GG case no), and are the players buying what you're selling (again, in GG's case no).

• Like 1