• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

I did?

Where?

You provided names of young players Sullivan developed that (kinda) proved me wrong about his player development. 

I don't recall discussing Pittsburghs roster makeup and how it didn't change much. Just that Sullivan didn't develop youth (and I was apparently wrong as he did develop like 3 ok players). 

Pittsburgh has brought in many pieces over the years. From Kessel, to Hagelin, to Cullen, to Hornqvist,  to Zucker, to Carter, to Kapanan, to Rakell.  Washington? Not so much. I mean sure scrap heap Strome and Sonny Milano did ok for a bit. Anthony Mantha is one. One fucking player brought in over those 4 years.

So, your "gotcha" moment is actually nothing. No comparison. Not even close. 

Your argument against Sullivan has been playoff advancement.  Pittsburgh has more dudes over 35 than in their 20s and no goalie.

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

Well, that's what he brought to the table along with Marino and Matta. I said Sullivan didn't develop anyone at all. He mentioned these guys. Hence why I said "kinda proved me wrong".  I'm underwhelmed with Sullivan and really don't get why people think he's amazing. 

Josh's mom could have won atleast 2 cups with Crosby, Malkin and Fleury, then been a 1st round exit every season after. Josh's mom can do a lot. 

Josh

Crosby has been in the league for 18 years.  2 cups in 7 with Sullivan.  1 cup in 11 without Sullivan.

28 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Your argument against Sullivan has been playoff advancement.  Pittsburgh has more dudes over 35 than in their 20s and no goalie.

My argument has been Sullivan's playoff advancement and development of young players during and since his last cup win 6 years ago, in comparison to what Laviolette has done in the same time frame. 

It's almost identical except atleast Laviolette was able to win his division a few times, with a younger roster with players HE developed to get there. 

Yet, somehow Sullivan is this big want and it would make people shoot loads if he were able to come here. While Laviolette is seen as garbage.. 

It doesn't make sense,  unless you just like Sullivan because of his ties to NY and Torts. 

Laviolette is equal if not better of a choice and he's available.  

42 minutes ago, RangerDanger said:

We are spending a lot of time talking about which available candidate has done the most, or comparing playoff records, etc.....but do we know which candidate has done the best with a roster similar to the Rangers? (I admittedly do not know, thus the reason I'm genuinely asking)
The Rangers are still, I believe, in Win Now mode, and we'll see very little change to the current roster once you subtract Tank and Kane. So who fits that scenario the best?

Meh. I've been talking about how Laviolette has had results with every type of roster. Mixed with some very old vets, extremely young with players he helped bring along and got to a cup final like F Forsberg, Arvidsson, Johansen, Josi, Ellis, Fiala, and Saros. Though some were there prior, he got them to the finals. 

Check out his Flyers rosters and his Cup winning Canes roster. He's had his hand in developing some of the games better players. 

I'm just so "meh" on most of these options. Laviolette's a proven winner with some rather significant question marks. Carberry, Leach, or Knoblauch would be our attempt at finding the next Bednar - this misses far more often than it hits. Keefe or Sullivan come with the same question marks around why their super-talented rosters and systems couldn't push past a 5 win playoff in the last 5 years - with Sullivan being somewhat more explicable.

I'm at the point where the extent I care about this hire is that they can do the following:

1 - Preach a system that takes advantage of our offensive talent rather than stifles it.

2 - Adjust when the matchups or game situation calls for smarter, more defensively-minded approaches

3 - Have a real development plan for the kids that elicits real results. Too much went into building the draft capital and building the team to have missed as badly as it appears we have.

Tick those boxes and we're good.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm just so "meh" on most of these options. Laviolette's a proven winner with some rather significant question marks. Carberry, Leach, or Knoblauch would be our attempt at finding the next Bednar - this misses far more often than it hits. Keefe or Sullivan come with the same question marks around why their super-talented rosters and systems couldn't push past a 5 win playoff in the last 5 years - with Sullivan being somewhat more explicable.

I'm at the point where the extent I care about this hire is that they can do the following:

1 - Preach a system that takes advantage of our offensive talent rather than stifles it.

2 - Adjust when the matchups or game situation calls for smarter, more defensively-minded approaches

3 - Have a real development plan for the kids that elicits real results. Too much went into building the draft capital and building the team to have missed as badly as it appears we have.

Tick those boxes and we're good.

I think the difference is the priority in which these boxes are ticked.

I think 3 needs to be first at this juncture. Others think 1 needs to be first.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

I think the difference is the priority in which these boxes are ticked.

I think 3 needs to be first at this juncture. Others think 1 needs to be first.

1 and 3 likely go together to some extent, to be honest.

Either way, you can't hire a developmental coach and you can't hire another veteran coddler/kid ignorer

The next coach needs to be able to break the bad habits that many of the vets have built up over the last 4 seasons or so.

Panarin's curl back to the blue line after he enters the zone is thing #1 that needs to be de-emphasized.  It leads to a lot of cross ice passes through space that is over-populated.  It rarely leads to a good shot attempt for the initial recipient and almost never for Panarin.  It contributes heavily to the Rangers leaving the front of the net clear when he's on the ice because at least 4 guys aren't going to be in front when that pass is made:  Panarin, the guy cross-ice, the guy at the opposite point and the guy behind Panarin on the left side of the ice who either diverts into the middle as Panarin comes back towards him or winds up standing there watching Panarin make the cross-ice pass.  It's just a lousy low percentage play by Panarin that takes the pressure off the defense when he uses it.

Further, the most likely result of that cross-ice pass recently has been the recipient passing the puck back to Fox and Fox sending it over to the guy on the point who then sends it down low to Panarin, now cruising by the boards, who is just as fucking likely to curl back up towards the blue line as anything else.

It's nauseating to watch at this point and a big reason that the Rangers 5v5 play looks like a bad powerplay alignment at this point.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The next coach needs to be able to break the bad habits that many of the vets have built up over the last 4 seasons or so.

Panarin's curl back to the blue line after he enters the zone is thing #1 that needs to be de-emphasized.  It leads to a lot of cross ice passes through space that is over-populated.  It rarely leads to a good shot attempt for the initial recipient and almost never for Panarin.  It contributes heavily to the Rangers leaving the front of the net clear when he's on the ice because at least 4 guys aren't going to be in front when that pass is made:  Panarin, the guy cross-ice, the guy at the opposite point and the guy behind Panarin on the left side of the ice who either diverts into the middle as Panarin comes back towards him or winds up standing there watching Panarin make the cross-ice pass.  It's just a lousy low percentage play by Panarin that takes the pressure off the defense when he uses it.

Further, the most likely result of that cross-ice pass recently has been the recipient passing the puck back to Fox and Fox sending it over to the guy on the point who then sends it down low to Panarin, now cruising by the boards, who is just as fucking likely to curl back up towards the blue line as anything else.

It's nauseating to watch at this point and a big reason that the Rangers 5v5 play looks like a bad powerplay alignment at this point.

These aren't bad habits.  It's the result of no plan for zone entries.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

@The Dude boner intensifies

"Are you not entertained!?!?!"

Jesus. This is the fuckin guy. What's wrong with you people? 

Ps I have no idea who this Manno guy is. His tweet came up in a Twitter search  for Laviolette. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ps I have no idea who this Manno guy is. His tweet came up in a Twitter search  for Laviolette. 

Didn't buy a word of that speech tbh.

Lol at the comments on the video at youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0

laviolette.png

• LOL 1
  • Applause 1

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Didn't buy a word of that speech tbh.

Lol at the comments on the video at youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0

laviolette.png

LOL. I'll again point to the stale Caps roster that was also devastated by injuries. That team needed to be torn down to the studs 3 years ago. Going to the well, with no youth coming in to push the vets or to slide up the lineup doesn't help at all. GM stinks. 

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

That's a lot better than...."You're playing hard guys, but ya gotta play harder. Throw your helmet Troubs! Get em fired up! Beers on me after the game!!"

• Keeps it 100 1