• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

2 hours ago, Long live the King said:

That's the point.  Laviolette has never been in the same situation as Hynes.

Carolina had a magical cup run.  Then he failed to make the playoffs in each of the next 2 years.  He was fired after a 12-11-2 start in the 3rd year after the cup.  Paul Maurice took over and took them to the conference finals.

He went to Philly, a team that Stevens had already taken to the Conference final.  He took over for Stevens mid-season.  They went to the finals that year and proceeded to get progressively worse until he got fired.

Seems like a track record of taking good teams and running them into the ground.

The only place he took a non-playoff team and built them up into a contender is Nashville, where they got to the finals once and then declined.

Washington was back to taking a team that finished first in the Metro for 5 straight years and coaching them into a missed playoff.

This is why you need context about the teams, and what the coach is actually doing.  We just fired Gallant with a 31-29 playoff record.  Prior to this year, Maurice was 41-51 in the playoffs, guess its a good thing Florida didn't care he was 10 games under .500 in the playoffs.

You should heed your own advice about context. 

He made that magical cup run with a 20 win team that he turned into a 52 win team that won the cup. In the ensuing seasons where he missed the playoffs, his teams finished with 88 and 92 points. That division was pretty strong at the time (ha, in 06/07 Atlanta lead the division with 97 points, Tampa had 93. Heck the league was strong with 15 teams going over 100 points). The following season they finished 9th in the conference in a very tight race finishing with 92 points as the 4- 8 seeds finished with 97, 95 and Ottawa & Boston both with 94. 

He went to Philly and coached 57 games.  Squeeked them into the playoffs,  came back from 3-0 against Boston and went to the finals. The following season Philly finished 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference with 106 points. Tied for 3rd in the league for points. They got better. Not worse. The following year they finished 5th in the east.l with 103 points which was 3rd best in the entire league. That's bad?  I understand they  didn't do well in the playoffs.  But they were one of the top teams.

He built up Nashville. A very young team. Again. A shot load of points in the standings each year and a Stanley Cup appearance. 

Your context needs a bit more depth itself. His teams were mostly tops in the entire league. You make it sound like he ruins teams when he gets there. It's just false. 

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You should heed your own advice about context. 

He made that magical cup run with a 20 win team that he turned into a 52 win team that won the cup. In the ensuing seasons where he missed the playoffs, his teams finished with 88 and 92 points. That division was pretty strong at the time (ha, in 06/07 Atlanta lead the division with 97 points, Tampa had 93. Heck the league was strong with 15 teams going over 100 points). The following season they finished 9th in the conference in a very tight race finishing with 92 points as the 4- 8 seeds finished with 97, 95 and Ottawa & Boston both with 94. 

He went to Philly and coached 57 games.  Squeeked them into the playoffs,  came back from 3-0 against Boston and went to the finals. The following season Philly finished 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference with 106 points. Tied for 3rd in the league for points. They got better. Not worse. The following year they finished 5th in the east.l with 103 points which was 3rd best in the entire league. That's bad?  I understand they  didn't do well in the playoffs.  But they were one of the top teams.

He built up Nashville. A very young team. Again. A shot load of points in the standings each year and a Stanley Cup appearance. 

Your context needs a bit more depth itself. His teams were mostly tops in the entire league. You make it sound like he ruins teams when he gets there. It's just false. 

Lots of excuse making for Carolina there.  Yea they missed the playoffs but they were close!  One of only 3 teams to miss the playoffs after winning the cup...but everyone else was good!

11 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Lots of excuse making for Carolina there.  Yea they missed the playoffs but they were close!  One of only 3 teams to miss the playoffs after winning the cup...but everyone else was good!

Yeah true. Team was getting older? BrindAmour as a late 30 year old and other dinosaurs were still there? Maybe that was part of it. But yeah, they didn't make the playoffs. Bad excuse. 

The rest of what I said definitely put a hole in your "his teams got worse when he got there" boat.  Odd you skipped over that.  Ah well.  

6 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

That's ok, you gotta give these guys at least until their 25+ before they round into shape and show signs of actually being something at this level.

26 or 27 and you'll have a much better idea.  Atleast they will be cheap while they figure it out. 

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah true. Team was getting older? BrindAmour as a late 30 year old and other dinosaurs were still there? Maybe that was part of it. But yeah, they didn't make the playoffs. Bad excuse. 

The rest of what I said definitely put a hole in your "his teams got worse when he got there" boat.  Odd you skipped over that.  Ah well.  

The rest of what you said.  When Philly was 5th in the east but somehow 3rd in the league?

1st in the division to 3rd to out of the playoffs, with this roster https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PHI/2013.html isn't great.

I acknowledged he was successful in Nashville. 

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Dinosaurs? BrindAmour and Whitney were ppg players on those miss the playoff teams. How old was Staal? Justin Williams? Andrew Ladd?

58 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The rest of what you said.  When Philly was 5th in the east but somehow 3rd in the league?

1st in the division to 3rd to out of the playoffs, with this roster https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PHI/2013.html isn't great.

I acknowledged he was successful in Nashville. 

Lmao. Yeah I was in a rush. Really fucked that up.  I honestly don't remember how the standings worked back then, but Philly was ranked 5th in the east despite having more points than the 2 and 3 seeds

So, in actuality they had the 3rd most points in the east,and 4th or 5th most in the league (103) as the Rangers and Blues were tied with 109 for 2nd most. 

Nucks 111

Rangers/Blues 109

Pitt 108

Preds 104

Flyers 103

Bruins/Wings/Devs 102

Sorry for the confusion,  this is my correction. Point still stands. They got better. Regular seasons do count. Especially when you try to say the team got worse.  Can't go to the finals every year. But 3 out of 5 stops with different teams ain't so bad. 

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Dinosaurs? BrindAmour and Whitney were ppg players on those miss the playoff teams. How old was Staal? Justin Williams? Andrew Ladd?

BrindAmour was 38 and scored 54 points in Laviolettes last year. Whitney was 36 . Scott Walker 35.

Year before they had 39 year old Glenn Wesley, 37 year old Hedican washed up Kaberle. 

Come off it. The last year, they had to transition out of the older players carrying the load. Any team relying on a 38 year old isn't going to do very well (despite the 97 points.).

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

BrindAmour was 38 and scored 54 points in Laviolettes last year. Whitney was 36 . Scott Walker 35.

Year before they had 39 year old Glenn Wesley, 37 year old Hedican washed up Kaberle. 

Come off it. The last year, they had to transition out of the older players carrying the load. Any team relying on a 38 year old isn't going to do very well (despite the 97 points.).

By Laviolettes's last year you're referring to when he was fired and Maurice came in and took the to the conference finals...even though they were too old?

43 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

By Laviolettes's last year you're referring to when he was fired and Maurice came in and took the to the conference finals...even though they were too old?

Both the year he was fired and the year prior, BrindAmour had 51 points. Not PPG like you said. 

So, Maurice came in after 25 games and took over a team that had been amongst the tops in points the 3 years prior and went on a tear. I'm tired and don't want to look it up, but were there any trades? They went 7 games in each round then got swept in the finals.... then flopped harder the following season and then some, as the years went by.

If the team didn't nosedive the next year and so on, you'd have a leg to stand on. But I'd rather go with the team probably played the same way it did in the 3 years prior and did what their old coach instilled inthem and it clicked. I only say that because of the nosedive after that year. 

You'd think a coaching change that lead to a surge like that would show dividends the following year.

You know,  like Laviolettes 1st and 2nd years with Philly.  But you don't care about that run. Odd how that works for you. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Both the year he was fired and the year prior, BrindAmour had 51 points. Not PPG like you said. 

So, Maurice came in after 25 games and took over a team that had been amongst the tops in points the 3 years prior and went on a tear. I'm tired and don't want to look it up, but were there any trades? They went 7 games in each round then got swept in the finals.... then flopped harder the following season and then some, as the years went by.

If the team didn't nosedive the next year and so on, you'd have a leg to stand on. But I'd rather go with the team probably played the same way it did in the 3 years prior and did what their old coach instilled inthem and it clicked. I only say that because of the nosedive after that year. 

You'd think a coaching change that lead to a surge like that would show dividends the following year.

You know,  like Laviolettes 1st and 2nd years with Philly.  But you don't care about that run. Odd how that works for you. 

Yes the year before Laviolette was fired BrindAmour had 51 points...in 59 games.  Sorry for calling him a ppg player.

The team flopped with Maurice?  Your whole argument has been they were still good with Laviolette, but the players were dinosaurs and then they flopped with Maurice.

Laviolette: 88 points

Laviolette: 93 points 

Laviolette fired Maurice hired: Conference Finals

Maurice: 80 points (your dinosaurs BrindAmour, Whitney, and Walker were all still there)

Maurice: 91 points

Not seeing the floppy nosedive and Maurice's team was even older than Laviolette's.

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I am not a time traveler so I have no way of knowing this. But man, I really hope we don’t go the route of Hynes. It just doesn’t seem like the right hire or the right fit. If I’m wrong, I’d be happy to eat crow. But I just don’t think he’s the answer here.

Hynes is the colorless odorless flavorless  gas of retreads. There's little in his CV to recommend him other than he played at BU with the GM. And development; played Jack Hughes on his 4th line. 

At that point would prefer Messier or Patrick Roy screaming from time to time while displaying Stanley Cup rings obnoxiously with Knoblauch getting promoted to "associate coach".  Because there is a close to a 100% chance Hynes will  run into the same perimeter cowardly lion shit from DJ MIA,  Arturnovi  and crew that doomed Quinn and then Gallant.

This squad need paddles applied. Or this franchise gonna waste the career of another HoF goalie. 

Edited by Bugg

I’m not in either camp- be it Laviolette or Haynes. But im not opposed to either of them as well. Both are kinda guys I’d never be too much more than lukewarm about. 

Personally, I’d prefer they move on a guy like Knoblauch or Leach, but I understand any reluctance to do so, given the nature of the team.

I don’t know that he’d be the right guy, but Hynes is very structured, always struck me as being a pretty smart guy, and brings a lot of things the Rangers seem to need. While he’s never really had too much success as an NHL HC, he’s never had a team this talented either. 

He might not be a bad choice

My issue with Hynes isn’t his smarts. I’m sure he is plenty intelligent. I just kind of would like to have someone with a little fire in his belly. I think this team needs someone who isn’t afraid to be a little loud and someone who is gonna keep them on their toes and not allow them to go through stretches of playing soft. I’m not sure that’s him. But again, I’d love to be wrong if this is the direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Hynes is the colorless odorless flavorless  gas of retreads. There's little in his CV to recommend him other than he played at BU with the GM. And development; played Jack Hughes on his 4th line. 

At that point would prefer Messier or Patrick Roy screaming from time to time while displaying Stanley Cup rings obnoxiously with Knoblauch getting promoted to "associate coach".  Because there is a close to a 100% chance Hynes will  run into the same perimeter cowardly lion shit from DJ MIA,  Arturnovi  and crew that doomed Quinn and then Gallant.

This squad need paddles applied. Or this franchise gonna waste the career of another HoF goalie. 

Yeah, it could it be possible that any of those coaches doomed themselves, could it? 

Does a cute nicknames though, what Rangers Twitter thread did you read them in?