• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

Hynes has 4 playoff wins....that's right folks....4 games, not 4 series....No chance in hell this happens. Fifteen losses accompany that post season record.

Laviolette has 78 playoff wins and 76 losses.

How Hynes getting fired changed anything is mind blowing. If anything, I hope it is a courtesy interview for a friend that's nothing comes of.

Edited by jsm7302
  • Like 2

In a way, you could say Drury has a rather free hand in this choice, because when the next coach is fired, Drury probably goes with him, irrespective of whether that coach was a safe choice, young upstart, friend of Chris, or whatever.

I don't want Hynes, but I will say in terms of recent history, he did a nice job of keeping a tattered roster in the playoff hunt this season.

Edited by Sod16
  • Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

In a way, you could say Drury has a rather free hand in this choice, because when the next coach is fired, Drury probably goes with him, irrespective of whether that coach was a safe choice, young upstart, friend of Ted, or whatever.

I don't want Hynes, but I will say in terms of recent history, he did a nice job of keeping a tattered roster in the playoff hunt this season.

Yup

Not too many GM’s get more than two swings on a head coaches 

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Hynes has 4 playoff wins....that's right folks....4 games, not 4 series....No chance in hell this happens. Fifteen losses accompany that post season record.

Laviolette has 78 playoff wins and 76 losses.

How Hynes getting fired changed anything is mind blowing. If anything, I hope it is a courtesy interview for a friend that's nothing comes of.

Where's the context?

He coached the Devils through their selloff and rebuild.  The year in there the Devils went to the playoffs he got 93 points out of Taylor Hall, the best season of Hall's career by far.  They had a goalie tandem of Schneider and Kinkaid.  That season from Hall is the only player to score 60 or more points by a Devil in Hynes time there.  The teams were trash.

Second season in Nashville he got a 96 point season from Josi.  Duchene and Forsberg both had over 40 goals and 80 points.  They got swept by Colorado because Saros got hurt and they had no backup.

Pointing to playoff wins, especially when one guy has coached 21 seasons and the other guy has coached 9, is pretty silly.  Laviolette has more missed playoffs and first round exits than Hynes has seasons coached.  

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Where's the context?

He coached the Devils through their selloff and rebuild.  The year in there the Devils went to the playoffs he got 93 points out of Taylor Hall, the best season of Hall's career by far.  They had a goalie tandem of Schneider and Kinkaid.  That season from Hall is the only player to score 60 or more points by a Devil in Hynes time there.  The teams were trash.

Second season in Nashville he got a 96 point season from Josi.  Duchene and Forsberg both had over 40 goals and 80 points.  They got swept by Colorado because Saros got hurt and they had no backup.

Pointing to playoff wins, especially when one guy has coached 21 seasons and the other guy has coached 9, is pretty silly.  Laviolette has more missed playoffs and first round exits than Hynes has seasons coached.  

I could not care less about individual success. This team needs to win a championship. 4 playoff game wins in 9 years isn't a good record. Period. Show me 9 consecutive years of Laviolettes coaching career where he had near 4 playoff wins. Not possible. Just not a good look for a team playing for a championship to hire a guy with no playoff success let alone championships.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 1

55 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I could not care less about individual success. This team needs to win a championship. 4 playoff game wins in 9 years isn't a good record. Period. Show me 9 consecutive years of Laviolettes coaching career where he had near 4 playoff wins. Not possible. Just not a good look for a team playing for a championship to hire a guy with no playoff success let alone championships.

That's the point.  Laviolette has never been in the same situation as Hynes.

Carolina had a magical cup run.  Then he failed to make the playoffs in each of the next 2 years.  He was fired after a 12-11-2 start in the 3rd year after the cup.  Paul Maurice took over and took them to the conference finals.

He went to Philly, a team that Stevens had already taken to the Conference final.  He took over for Stevens mid-season.  They went to the finals that year and proceeded to get progressively worse until he got fired.

Seems like a track record of taking good teams and running them into the ground.

The only place he took a non-playoff team and built them up into a contender is Nashville, where they got to the finals once and then declined.

Washington was back to taking a team that finished first in the Metro for 5 straight years and coaching them into a missed playoff.

This is why you need context about the teams, and what the coach is actually doing.  We just fired Gallant with a 31-29 playoff record.  Prior to this year, Maurice was 41-51 in the playoffs, guess its a good thing Florida didn't care he was 10 games under .500 in the playoffs.

Edited by Long live the King

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

That's the point.  Laviolette has never been in the same situation as Hynes.

Carolina had a magical cup run.  Then he failed to make the playoffs in each of the next 2 years.  He was fired after a 12-11-2 start in the 3rd year after the cup.  Paul Maurice took over and took them to the conference finals.

He went to Philly, a team that Stevens had already taken to the Conference final.  He took over for Stevens mid-season.  They went to the finals that year and proceeded to get progressively worse until he got fired.

Seems like a track record of taking good teams and running them into the ground.

The only place he took a non-playoff team and built them up into a contender is Nashville, where they got to the finals once and then declined.

Washington was back to taking a team that finished first in the Metro for 5 straight years and coaching them into a missed playoff.

This is why you need context about the teams, and what the coach is actually doing.  We just fired Gallant with a 31-29 playoff record.  Prior to this year, Maurice was 41-51 in the playoffs, guess its a good think Florida didn't care he was 10 games under .500 in the playoffs.

Regardless, Hynes hasn't won anything;  not even a playoff series at any level as a coach. If you think he is the answer then we can just agree to disagree. 

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Regardless, Hynes hasn't won anything;  not even a playoff series at any level as a coach. If you think he is the answer then we can just agree to disagree. 

I never said I think Hynes is the answer.

Hynes won 7 playoff series in the AHL in 5 years as a head coach.  Took WBS to the conference finals twice.  And this is during the time when the Pens had not 1st round picks. He also won a Gold, a Silver, and a Bronze as the USA U18 coach.  But yea, never won a playoff series at any level.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

I never said I think Hynes is the answer.

Hynes won 7 playoff series in the AHL in 5 years as a head coach.  Took WBS to the conference finals twice.  And this is during the time when the Pens had not 1st round picks. He also won a Gold, a Silver, and a Bronze as the USA U18 coach.  But yea, never won a playoff series at any level.

Cool, I didn't find that in the sources I found. I digress. He has had past success, that will make the pill easier to swallow if it happens. Can you expand on his coaching style because all I've read is that it is a defensive system which I think is a plus I'm some regards but stifling Panarin and Zib has to be a concern.

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Cool, I didn't find that in the sources I found. I digress. He has had past success, that will make the pill easier to swallow if it happens. Can you expand on his coaching style because all I've read is that it is a defensive system which I think is a plus I'm some regards but stifling Panarin and Zib has to be a concern.

Literally, on this page of posts, I said how in the same season under Hynes Josi scored 96 points while Duchene and Forsberg both had over 40 goals and 80 points.  You immediately quoted it and replied, "I could not care less about individual success."

28 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Literally, on this page of posts, I said how in the same season under Hynes Josi scored 96 points while Duchene and Forsberg both had over 40 goals and 80 points.  You immediately quoted it and replied, "I could not care less about individual success."

And there is nothing in these posts containing his coaching philosophy or style hence the question. Thanks for the info about the individual successes on his teams as well as his non NHL successes. It def helps shape the picture though.

While we're at it, in addition to his time with the NTDP, young players with Hynes:

Juuso Parssinen, 7th round pick, last year as a 21 year old rookie 6g 19a for 25p in 45 games.

Thomas Novak, 7p in 27 games as a 24 yo rookies, up to 17g 26a for 43p in 51 games last year.

Got 23 yo Cody Glass to finally do something, 14g 21a for 35p in 72 games.

Luke Evangelista, 20 yo rookie, called up in February, played him 16 min a night, scored 7g and 15p in 24 games.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

It begs the question though, is there really much upside with this roster?

You have a 32 year old Panarin, 32 year old Kreider, 30 year old Zibanejad, and a 29 year old Trouba; hate to say it, but it's far more likely that you are going to get diminishing returns over the next 3 seasons form those 4. Not impossible that they won't keep pace or put up higher production, just wouldn't bet on it with all four.

Fox & Shesterkin are very much in their prime and should be consistent with their last 2 seasons. 

Kaako, Chytil, Lafrenaire, and Miller are all question marks on whether they will improve significantly. Personally I think Miller will be a star when he puts it all together; the other 3 I see as middle 6 forwards. I don't see a 70-80 point season happening for any of them.

My point is that it seems likely that this team being run into the ground, is very much the trajectory and that the window will be closing very quickly over the next 3 seasons. I am in the Laviolette camp until I hear from someone else what Hynes brings to the table besides having played at Boston University with Drury.

• Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

I'll preface this by saying I have little to no opinion of Hynes because I do not watch Predators games and go out of my way to never watch Devils games, but if the knock on him is he's defense first, isn't that what the team actually needs?

I feel like we keep doing this to ourselves with every name mentioned, as if there's some magic rock star option just waiting to be hired. The team has no structure. Their offense freelanced because the last coach wasn't a coach, but a cheerleader, so why is hiring a coach who actually preaches defense a bad thing?

Wasn't everyone champing at the bit to get Trotz a while back, too?

8 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

It begs the question though, is there really much upside with this roster?

You have a 32 year old Panarin, 32 year old Kreider, 30 year old Zibanejad, and a 29 year old Trouba; hate to say it, but it's far more likely that you are going to get diminishing returns over the next 3 seasons form those 4. Not impossible that they won't keep pace or put up higher production, just wouldn't bet on it with all four.

Fox & Shesterkin are very much in their prime and should be consistent with their last 2 seasons. 

Kaako, Chytil, Lafrenaire, and Miller are all question marks on whether they will improve significantly. Personally I think Miller will be a star when he puts it all together; the other 3 I see as middle 6 forwards. I don't see a 70-80 point season happening for any of them.

My point is that it seems likely that this team being run into the ground, is very much the trajectory and that the window will be closing very quickly over the next 3 seasons. I am in the Laviolette camp until I hear from someone else what Hynes brings to the table besides having played at Boston University with Drury.

If the players are all old and about to fall off a cliff (I disagree, they're not) then it doesn't matter who the coach is.

4 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

If the players are all old and about to fall off a cliff (I disagree, they're not) then it doesn't matter who the coach is.

I never said that they are ready to fall off of a cliff; I just simply said that diminishing returns are likely if some of the youth don't develop to a higher level. That means that this coaching hire is absolutely crucial.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

1. A general manager that just wanted to be rid of Gallant without having a preferred head coaching hire.

2. An organization that lacks core philosophy, identity, and what it means to play Rangers hockey, which would help limit and prioritize the applicant pool.

3. A core leadership group of players that gave up in a 7 game series against one of their biggest rivals.

4. A general manager that knows that if the next head coach doesn't work out, both the coach and general manager may get fired.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • The Chyt! 1