• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Please stop LOL. Head Coach of the NY Rangers is never a crappy job.

The obvious answer to 5:5 is better coaching.

When was the last time the Rangers fired a HC with the superficial success that GG had?

I don't think I can ever recall a firing of this type.  He's going to be a hard act to follow.

• Bullseye 1

43 minutes ago, Br4d said:

When was the last time the Rangers fired a HC with the superficial success that GG had?

I don't think I can ever recall a firing of this type.  He's going to be a hard act to follow.

When is the last time that particular coach lasted 3 years on the same team?

The book is out on him, he's a fraud. 

From the article in the link:

”Elliotte Friedman noted on Friday’s 32 Thoughts Podcast that the Rangers along with the Columbus Blue Jackets may be making a decision soon.

“I was asked the other day who could be first,” Friedman began. “A lot of us thought it might be Columbus but someone said to me that the Rangers could be moving closer to that list.”

I'm going to double down and say that I think this is going to be a very tough decision for some of the better candidates.  They have to be asking themselves what the expectation is coming in the door because that's what will put them in the situation GG was in after two seasons.

If the expectation is that they take this group to a cup right away, well that's an insane expectation to have put on you as you walk in the door.  Odds are they could do a good job of coaching the next two seasons and not manage the record that GG put up.  All it would take is a key injury here or there - things that GG never had to deal with in his two seasons.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Of course the expectation is to win a Cup.  Who cares about regular season record?

How bout just not look like total dog shit in half of our playoff games...that would be a welcome improvement over the last 2 seasons.

6 hours ago, Br4d said:

I'm going to double down and say that I think this is going to be a very tough decision for some of the better candidates.  They have to be asking themselves what the expectation is coming in the door because that's what will put them in the situation GG was in after two seasons.

If the expectation is that they take this group to a cup right away, well that's an insane expectation to have put on you as you walk in the door.  Odds are they could do a good job of coaching the next two seasons and not manage the record that GG put up.  All it would take is a key injury here or there - things that GG never had to deal with in his two seasons.

But... the expectation is to win the cup. Otherwise Gallant would still be here. 

Gotta figure each candidate has their own reasons for coming here. Taking over a roster that was just in the ECF last season is very tempting for any coach. Nevermind that its an original 6 team with a huge fan base. 

Any of these non "retreads" are looking for any opportunity to be a head coach in the NHL. It's get in the door and do your thing, or do as the GM tells you to. Just get there and hopefully you can make a difference. Just don't bomb,  or it's over after this. 

Then there's the retreads. These guys had good starts and somewhat of a reputation.  That's why they can stay relevant and continue to get these jobs. They're wanting this job because it's a better gig than a rebuild. The expectations for them are obvious. Win. Go far. Go all the way. Depending on the character of the coach,  this gig could mean a lot or it could just be another job.

[quote="Laviolette"]

"I go to my Finals record and it's 1-2, and that bothers me," he said. "If you're talking personal, that bugs me, and I would like to at least like to even that up. I think way more about that. … That's what drives me and probably leads back to the earlier conversation just about [being] disappointed that I and we couldn't have done more to try to get further in the playoffs." [/quote]

https://www.nhl.com/news/peter-laviolette-hoping-to-coach-in-nhl-again/c-343984016

That's the guy I want here. Oddly people here say he lost his fire. Sounds like he has something to prove. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Believe 1

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But... the expectation is to win the cup. Otherwise Gallant would still be here. 

Gotta figure each candidate has their own reasons for coming here. Taking over a roster that was just in the ECF last season is very tempting for any coach. Nevermind that its an original 6 team with a huge fan base. 

Any of these non "retreads" are looking for any opportunity to be a head coach in the NHL. It's get in the door and do your thing, or do as the GM tells you to. Just get there and hopefully you can make a difference. Just don't bomb,  or it's over after this. 

Then there's the retreads. These guys had good starts and somewhat of a reputation.  That's why they can stay relevant and continue to get these jobs. They're wanting this job because it's a better gig than a rebuild. The expectations for them are obvious. Win. Go far. Go all the way. Depending on the character of the coach,  this gig could mean a lot or it could just be another job.

[quote="Laviolette"]

"I go to my Finals record and it's 1-2, and that bothers me," he said. "If you're talking personal, that bugs me, and I would like to at least like to even that up. I think way more about that. … That's what drives me and probably leads back to the earlier conversation just about [being] disappointed that I and we couldn't have done more to try to get further in the playoffs."[/quote]

https://www.nhl.com/news/peter-laviolette-hoping-to-coach-in-nhl-again/c-343984016

That's the guy I want here. Oddly people here say he lost his fire. Sounds like he has something to prove. 

He does have something to prove. He has to prove he can still be an effective coach after whatever he did in Washington. The opposite of effective.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He does have something to prove. He has to prove he can still be an effective coach after whatever he did in Washington. The opposite of effective.

Read some of that article. 440 games missed for players with injuries. How do you win against that? 

Laviolette teams are always hard to play against. Washington made very little moves and drafted pretty shitty to improve their roster. In his case, it's definitely the GMs fault for Washington's failure.  It's a wonder they even made the playoffs. Their roster over the last 4 year's was very lack luster and pretty old. Zero came through the pipeline. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Read some of that article. 440 games missed for players with injuries. How do you win against that? 

Laviolette teams are always hard to play against. Washington made very little moves and drafted pretty shitty to improve their roster. In his case, it's definitely the GMs fault for Washington's failure.  It's a wonder they even made the playoffs. Their roster over the last 4 year's was very lack luster and pretty old. Zero came through the pipeline. 

Funny.  That's what you've refused to acknowledge about Pittsburgh re: Sullivan. 

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Funny.  That's what you've refused to acknowledge about Pittsburgh re: Sullivan. 

I did?

Where?

You provided names of young players Sullivan developed that (kinda) proved me wrong about his player development. 

I don't recall discussing Pittsburghs roster makeup and how it didn't change much. Just that Sullivan didn't develop youth (and I was apparently wrong as he did develop like 3 ok players). 

Pittsburgh has brought in many pieces over the years. From Kessel, to Hagelin, to Cullen, to Hornqvist,  to Zucker, to Carter, to Kapanan, to Rakell.  Washington? Not so much. I mean sure scrap heap Strome and Sonny Milano did ok for a bit. Anthony Mantha is one. One fucking player brought in over those 4 years.

So, your "gotcha" moment is actually nothing. No comparison. Not even close. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I did?

Where?

You provided names of young players Sullivan developed that (kinda) proved me wrong about his player development. 

I don't recall discussing Pittsburghs roster makeup and how it didn't change much. Just that Sullivan didn't develop youth (and I was apparently wrong as he did develop like 3 ok players). 

Pittsburgh has brought in many pieces over the years. From Kessel, to Hagelin, to Cullen, to Hornqvist,  to Zucker, to Carter, to Kapanan, to Rakell.  Washington? Not so much. I mean sure scrap heap Strome and Sonny Milano did ok for a bit. Anthony Mantha is one. One fucking player brought in over those 4 years.

So, your "gotcha" moment is actually nothing. No comparison. Not even close. 

Who? If the argument was based on Guentzel and Rust, it's 100% bullshit as they have been attached to Crosby their entire careers.

30 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Who? If the argument was based on Guentzel and Rust, it's 100% bullshit as they have been attached to Crosby their entire careers.

Well, that's what he brought to the table along with Marino and Matta. I said Sullivan didn't develop anyone at all. He mentioned these guys. Hence why I said "kinda proved me wrong".  I'm underwhelmed with Sullivan and really don't get why people think he's amazing. 

Josh's mom could have won atleast 2 cups with Crosby, Malkin and Fleury, then been a 1st round exit every season after. Josh's mom can do a lot. 

Josh

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Well, that's what he brought to the table along with Marino and Matta. I said Sullivan didn't develop anyone at all. He mentioned these guys. Hence why I said "kinda proved me wrong".  I'm underwhelmed with Sullivan and really don't get why people think he's amazing. 

Josh's mom could have won atleast 2 cups with Crosby, Malkin and Fleury, then been a 1st round exit every season after. Josh's mom can do a lot. 

Josh

Those two are nothing to hang your hat on.

So basically the argument stunk trying to prove Sullivan can develop young talent.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Looking for that homemade vid of you and josh’s mom

You think if we talk about Josh a lot... Maybe he'll come back?  Is it like a Beetlejuice type thing? If we say his name 3 times, maybe he'll appear? 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You think if we talk about Josh a lot... Maybe he'll come back?  Is it like a Beetlejuice type thing? If we say his name 3 times, maybe he'll appear? 

Start a thread- we’ll try different things to summon him 

We are spending a lot of time talking about which available candidate has done the most, or comparing playoff records, etc.....but do we know which candidate has done the best with a roster similar to the Rangers? (I admittedly do not know, thus the reason I'm genuinely asking)
The Rangers are still, I believe, in Win Now mode, and we'll see very little change to the current roster once you subtract Tank and Kane. So who fits that scenario the best?