• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Heard this defense of Gallant, and I don't buy it. This team with this talent and payroll had no business not being in the playoffs. And really until Trouba flinging the helmet, they were struggling mightily. There were too many nights they barely showed up , being unable to  mounting any offense. Think Jets and Sens in March. Or when they  collapsed at the first sign of adversity, like the Oilers in November. There were a mess of games they completely shat the bed. With a coach that had some ability to get their asses in gear, this should have been the division  winner. A paragraph's worth of saying Gallant deserved being fired without even discussing the 1st round debacle. 

And really if you want to watch that series and tell me that was competent, involved coaching, smart deployment of talent,  A PLAN, well. The Plan appeared to be have the best goalie in the world and hope this herd of cats talent scored enough to carry the day. If you watched last night, 2 teams played up to 6 periods of hockey(went to bed after that) without allowing a single clean breakaway or 2 on 1. That's a plan. 

I don't think you can put it any better than that, @Bugg!

You get the "Bingo of the day"!!

Ringing London GIF by Lord's Cricket Ground

The plan with gallant was always “these are professionals they’ll show up and do the job on their own”. It jives with his “I’m an nhl coach I (have no idea how to) don’t develop players” and the plethora of “I thought we played good” after losses.

I wish that was my bosses plan too. 

whatever your thoughts on the players.. gallant also deserved to to go. Blame falls on drury down to brodzinski. But gallant was a problem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m not so sure.

This team wrote a letter, rebuilt and did a 180 from where they were in 2018. If they don’t get this right and win a Cup and soon, then we could find ourselves in a hell of a lot of trouble soon. Especially when it comes to what to do with Igor in 2 years when he is UFA.

What does that mean though? If it plays out poorly, what happens? Nothing. Life goes on, the team goes on, they'll tear it down and start from scratch, and that's that.

This is not an existential crisis haha. It's just sports. And frankly, fans outside of this area highly regard the Rangers as one of the most successful teams in recent memory. They are pretty much always competitive.

Let's not make it like this is a team that's always stinks. If Buffalo can survive, and Edmonton can survive, the Rangers can survive. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

What does that mean though? If it plays out poorly, what happens? Nothing. Life goes on, the team goes on, they'll tear it down and start from scratch, and that's that.

This is not an existential crisis haha. It's just sports. And frankly, fans outside of this area highly regard the Rangers as one of the most successful teams in recent memory. They are pretty much always competitive.

Let's not make it like this is a team that's always stinks. If Buffalo can survive, and Edmonton can survive, the Rangers can survive. 

I’m obviously talking from Drurys POV and the Rangers. If this falls belly up, Drury may find himself out of a job.

And listen, I know you hate to hear this, but again it’s reality: we have a single Stanley Cup to our name since World awar 2. I know this regime has nothing to do with the 40s, or 50s or whatever year anyone wants to point to. But after ending 54 years without a title, we are suddenly right back at almost 30 years without one. And it’s not for lack of effort, or spending, or a curse. 

They have a little window here with a talented roster and a goalie at the top of his game on a team friendly deal in a hard cap era. No one is talking this is life and death, lol. But at some point, you’d like to see the franchise pull together and get it all right. And unfortunately for Drury, if this coach isn’t the right coach, then like I said, he may be out of a job.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

I think Drury is pretty safe for the long haul.  If I remember correctly Dolan had JD and Gorton bounced and Drury was pretty much Dolan's idea.

I like Dru too!  He's a keeper.  This isn't on him....not in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think Drury is pretty safe for the long haul.  If I remember correctly Dolan had JD and Gorton bounced and Drury was pretty much Dolan's idea.

I like Dru too!  He's a keeper.  This isn't on him....not in my opinion.

I’ve always been a Drury fan. I have very little to complain about with him. And again, going back to Gallant, I was a Gallant fan but I definitely see that there were issues there and it got to a point of no return; especially after hearing about the exit interviews. My point though is that, as much as Gallant may not have been the guy, letting go of a guy who took you to an ECF and put up back to back seasons of 110 and 107 is a risk because now if this team takes steps backwards (regular season or playoffs), then suddenly the attention may fall onto Drury.

It’s a very important hire for him. He needs to get this one right for sure.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m obviously talking from Drurys POV and the Rangers. If this falls belly up, Drury may find himself out of a job.

And listen, I know you hate to hear this, but again it’s reality: we have a single Stanley Cup to our name since World awar 2. I know this regime has nothing to do with the 40s, or 50s or whatever year anyone wants to point to. But after ending 54 years without a title, we are suddenly right back at almost 30 years without one. And it’s not for lack of effort, or spending, or a curse. 

They have a little window here with a talented roster and a goalie at the top of his game on a team friendly deal in a hard cap era. No one is talking this is life and death, lol. But at some point, you’d like to see the franchise pull together and get it all right. And unfortunately for Drury, if this coach isn’t the right coach, then like I said, he may be out of a job.

I just don't really buy that. Consider the owner. He likely applauds Drury for being decisive and quickly realizing something wasn't working. You don't get to fire a coach with term without owner approval.

I just don't think it's as dire as you're saying. Not even close. His body of work has more wins than losses.

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’ve always been a Drury fan. I have very little to complain about with him. And again, going back to Gallant, I was a Gallant fan but I definitely see that there were issues there and it got to a point of no return; especially after hearing about the exit interviews. My point though is that, as much as Gallant may not have been the guy, letting go of a guy who took you to an ECF and put up back to back seasons of 110 and 107 is a risk because now if this team takes steps backwards (regular season or playoffs), then suddenly the attention may fall onto Drury.

It’s a very important hire for him. He needs to get this one right for sure.

Oh I hear ya Richie.  It's important because we also have the talent here, and I think we're in the window of "we can win this".

The news on JQ this morning gave me a chubby, but I still think it may be a longshot.  But, HE would be THE MAN to get.  I'd be cool with Knobby as well, considering he's had some good vibes behind our bench before with a lot of these guys already.  I think he would be a good long term option as well.

Past those 2 options, it gets real thin, really fast with me!  😉

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm saying Ramsay firing has nothing to do with the coach LOL. 

Oh ok...I thought you were pouring icewater on my winkie!!  LOL

Dude, there's probably a snowball's chance in hell that JQ comes our way, but if it goes down, this old man will have a couple in his honor!  ...to say the least!!!

Edited by Ozzy

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

....just spit out my drink!!  LOL

term....COINED!!

I just really don’t get excited anymore it seems like everytime something good happens to this franchise it doesn’t actually move the needle anyway. 

I’ll never see a cup in my life. 

Drury's window is probably 1.5 disappointing seasons in a row.  I'd say starting now but I don't know how disappointed Dolan was in the Ranger's early exit this season.

The GG departure feels more like Drury and GG blowing up at each other and the inevitable result when you're low dog on the totem pole.  I say this because the shouting match between Drury and GG that was observed was after game 4 and I doubt Dolan was keyed in to anything at that point.  It makes sense that whatever happened after game 4 made an encore appearance during the season end interview and that's all she wrote.

Dolan was unlikely to be particularly raged about the Rangers-Devil's series outcome.  Rangers still made a nice chunk of money for him this season and they always lose in the playoffs eventually save '94.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

So we’re told by a reputable source that the disgraced Mike Babcock is “far down the line with a team,” and the inference is that the team is the Blue Jackets.

Really, JD?

Or as one player suggested by text, “[Johnny] Gaudreau can’t catch a break.”

https://nypost.com/2023/05/20/nhl-nhlpa-to-discuss-salary-cap-future-of-arizona-coyotes/

Looks like one potential (probably unlikely) guy may be off the list of candidates.