• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Nice strategic cut off date. Why would you cut off Laviolettes accomplishments to the year after his last cup appearance? 

I can't determine who Coach B is, that is available. 

Hey, I’m just sayin’, Lavi has had next to zero success for the last five years, and we expect him to come in and find a Cup right away?

Edited by BrooksBurner

9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Since 2017

Coach A

Reg Season: 234-140-51, .610 point %

Playoffs: 12-18, 1 playoff series win

Coach B

Reg Season: 217-121-39, .627 point %

Playoffs: 29-25, 5 series wins, 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance, 2 Conference Finals appearances.

Coach A average length of time in role, 4+ years, only dragged down by 2 years stint on the Islanders. Remove that, and it goes to 5.25.

Coach B average length of time in role 2ish years because he's a fraud. 

Edited by Pete

Hey, I’m just sayin’, Lavi has had next to zero success for the last five years, and we expect him to come in and find a Cup right away?

If he worked out it would be catching lightning in a bottle.  We'd have had better odds that GG gets us back to the big show.  Not good odds but better odds.

The Caps are run like crap. The roster was stale and no youth to speak of to push through. For some reason they love to toss their goalies aside.  

My opinion is that Washington really didn't know what direction they wanted to ho in, besides riding Ovechkin and not really knowing what his supporting cast would be. Kuznetsova coke issue and their back and forth on if they wanted to bring him back was weird. 

Am i missing the the talent that was supposed to come through the minors? They certainly weren't active in free agency.  

The overall resume of Laviolette shouldn't be judged on his last 5 years. People would love to pry Sullivan from the Penguins... Why?  If Laviolettes last 5 years are what people are going to judge him on, what the hell is the yearning for Sullivan about? 6 years of zero success.  

The 2 are pretty equal in overall success in their careers.  1 is actually available. 1 had generational talents on his roster when he stepped in shit and got his gig. 

Get Laviolette now because he's the best available.  

6 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean, he's not actually saying anything that isn't public knowledge. He's under contract with the Pens. I'm surprised he even said anything about this.

Sounds just like Doc Rivers did in his press conf 24-48 hours before he got rolled. I don't think this one ends the same why but not sure what he was supposed to say or why he even said anything as you pointed out.

5 hours ago, Br4d said:

If he worked out it would be catching lightning in a bottle.  We'd have had better odds that GG gets us back to the big show.  Not good odds but better odds.

Right, and here’s how this goes. The team automatically gets a pass with whoever is coach next season. So you double down on the core, they fail again, Panarin fails again, free pass. They were adjusting to a new coach! Give it time! Run it back all the same the following year. Just like that, Shesterkin is burned and lack of premium ice time commitment to the kids leaves them well behind. They already are well behind.

It’s a bad plan and typical Rangers. Drury will deserve to get fired if he keeps the status quo around here, just changing out the coach who’s telling these guys to change how they play, just to be ignored. I used to think coaching was the issue. The play down the stretch and in the playoffs was eye opening how much it’s on the players.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • TroCheckmark 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

These crystal ball predictions are pure comedy 🤣

The fan fiction is next level. 

I also love the assumption that the coach was telling them to change the way they play. It's pretty obvious he wasn't telling them anything at all, that's why they were asking for help in exit interviews. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

These crystal ball predictions are pure comedy 🤣

The fan fiction is next level. 

I also love the assumption that the coach was telling them to change the way they play. It's pretty obvious he wasn't telling them anything at all, that's why they were asking for help in exit interviews. 

This is the fiction happening right now.

What exactly do you think the exchange between GG and Trocheck on the bench was?  It looked a lot to me like GG telling Trocheck he was doing the same stuff he'd been asked not to do.

52 minutes ago, Br4d said:

What exactly do you think the exchange between GG and Trocheck on the bench was?  It looked a lot to me like GG telling Trocheck he was doing the same stuff he'd been asked not to do.

Some of the professional lip readers who were watching the royals at King Charles's coronation could confirm that that is exactly what GG said to Trocheck and that Vince responded "I have a long term no move contract and you'll be gone after this game." 

• LOL 1

7 hours ago, Br4d said:

This is the fiction happening right now.

Yea and Trocheck's response looked like "Its not 1990, homie".

Because Trocheck's used to an actual coach because his last coach was... Hmmm. 

Edited by Pete

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Some of the professional lip readers who were watching the royals at King Charles's coronation could confirm that that is exactly what GG said to Trocheck and that Vince responded "I have a long term no move contract and you'll be gone after this game." 

This is a bad narrative though. To a man, the players did not have good things to say. Even The kids were quoted during the season as saying they want the line changing to stop, they came out at the end of the season and said they wanted more playing time and more power play time. Nobody was happy with him.  

But let's blame Panarin. 

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea and Trocheck's response looked like "Its not 1990, homie".

Because Trocheck's used to an actual coach because his last coach was... Hmmm. 

Oooooohhhh, Ohhhhhhhhh, I know this one!!!!!!   😉

200.gif

• LMFAO 1

11 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/05/17/kris-knoblauch-ny-rangers-coach-candidate/70225160007/

Good write up. Guy seems like a good coach. Maybe he would work with this crew? Still a heavy lift as a first year head coach.

Knoblauch is known for diversifying his methodology based on his team's personality. He purposefully gets to know each of his players, and if publicly discussing goals will motivate one of them or galvanize the group, then he’s opened to doing just that.”

sounds like kakko and Laf gonna have a breakfast buddy again 

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Oooooohhhh, Ohhhhhhhhh, I know this one!!!!!!   😉

200.gif

And, the best part is that he was coached by GG before... And he still gave him a "what the fuck are you even talking about?" look. 😂

Gallant is the epitome of "fake  it till you make it." 

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/05/17/kris-knoblauch-ny-rangers-coach-candidate/70225160007/

Good write up. Guy seems like a good coach. Maybe he would work with this crew? Still a heavy lift as a first year head coach.

Yuck. Sounds like David Quinn and Gallants love child.

Using terms like " the good ice" and saying,  "just take more chances" is totally Gallant stuff. Then reading that he gets ultra personal with players and all that. Didn't Quinn do this with his favorite- Howden? 

Finished 13th in the regular season  in the AHL. 5th in his division. I still haven't heard one word on why he deserves this job. Assistant? Sure. Head coach? No. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

And, the best part is that he was coached by GG before... And he still gave him a "what the fuck are you even talking about?" look. 😂

Gallant is the epitome of "fake  it till you make it." 

That's right, he was with him in Florida, right?

You called this 2 years ago, man....and I didn't see it.  I didn't agree, and I thought Gallant was exactly what this team needed back then.  After seeing all the high danger chances, failing breakouts, turnovers, and lack of defensive responsibility it started to dawn on me that you may have a point with him not lasting very long.  Not to mention the severe lack of any structured system, other than "go play better".

Now we know why....you figure this guy out, and stay out of the box...clog the middle of the ice, and the NZ, then forecheck the shit out of this team, and you put them on their heels.  Turnover after turnover leads to a transition nightmare, and unless Igor has a fucking .2000 save percentage or they score 2 or 3 PP goals a game, this team won't win in a playoff series.

Good riddance...

This was a really good roster, I thought...Carolina shit all over the Devils, and made it look easy.  The Canes didn't have anything CLOSE to the Rangers team, especially with their 3 best players out.  Didn't matter...Brindy took care of business and smothered that Devils defense, who we saw was susceptible to a solid forecheck.  They got pucks and bodies to the net relentlessly, and cashed in on lots of rebounds and mad scrambles in front. 

The rest was history..."It's not the wand, it's the fucking wizard holding it!"

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That's right, he was with him in Florida, right?

You called this 2 years ago, man....and I didn't see it.  I didn't agree, and I thought Gallant was exactly what this team needed back then.  After seeing all the high danger chances, failing breakouts, turnovers, and lack of defensive responsibility it started to dawn on me that you may have a point with him not lasting very long.  Not to mention the severe lack of any structured system, other than "go play better".

Now we know why....you figure this guy out, and stay out of the box...clog the middle of the ice, and the NZ, then forecheck the shit out of this team, and you put them on their heels.  Turnover after turnover leads to a transition nightmare, and unless Igor has a fucking .2000 save percentage or they score 2 or 3 PP goals a game, this team won't win in a playoff series.

Good riddance...

This was a really good roster, I thought...Carolina shit all over the Devils, and made it look easy.  The Canes didn't have anything CLOSE to the Rangers team, especially with their 3 best players out.  Didn't matter...Brindy took care of business and smothered that Devils defense, who we saw was susceptible to a solid forecheck.  They got pucks and bodies to the net relentlessly, and cashed in on lots of rebounds and mad scrambles in front. 

The rest was history..."It's not the wand, it's the fucking wizard holding it!"

Totally. I keep going back to the orchestra analogy because it's perfect. You can assemble the best musicians at each instrument, but unless they have a conductor and sheet music they are going to sound terrible. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

It's really a shame too.  We had everything in place, and NO INJURIES at all!  When does that ever happen?

Boston, Tampa, and the Avs all eliminated, which made the path pretty clear the rest of the way!

This fucking guy had no answers, no adjustments.  All smoke and mirrors with Gallant.

• Keeps it 100 1

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It's really a shame too.  We had everything in place, and NO INJURIES at all!  When does that ever happen?

Boston, Tampa, and the Avs all eliminated, which made the path pretty clear the rest of the way!

This fucking guy had no answers, no adjustments.  All smoke and mirrors with Gallant.

I hear what you're saying, but there were a ton of upsets in both rounds, so I don't think the path was as easy as everybody thought before the playoffs started.