• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

5 hours ago, Dem said:

Why Ozzy Why do you have to put it like that LOL

Gotta Love it @Dem!!  If you can't be first...BE FAST!!!  😃

5 hours ago, jsrangers said:

I think Uncle Larry has been polishing his knob a little too hard with that scenario!!

• JIMMY! 1

14 hours ago, fletch said:

If you want accountability just hire Sutter for the next iteration.  Players will realize how much leeway they got from GG, Quinn, AV.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/sutteda01c.html

I don't really want Sutter, but they need to lay off the player friendly coaches. Or at least ones that aren't too buddy-buddy and have a game plan in place. No more country club like attitudes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't really want Sutter, but they need to lay off the player friendly coaches. Or at least ones that aren't too buddy-buddy and have a game plan in place. No more country club like attitudes.

Which is my concern with the minor league coaches, college coaches, assistant NHL head coaches suggested in this thread.  It's a comfortable locker room that has outlasted several coaches.  A new head coach with an established NHL reputation, system, and culture will be more likely to be successful with this group.  For whatever reason, this team (for years!) has a hard time playing 60 minutes at playoff intensity during a 7 game series.   And there are no consequences when a team or player doesn't compete at levels the organization expects.   The organization approach has been to fire coaches.  That has proven to be ineffective in changing the locker room culture.

• Believe 1

Small thread from Emily Kaplan's interview on Vince Mercogliano's podcast here:

She specifically mentions Knoblauch, who she handicaps at the top of the list, as well as Jay Leach, Ryan Warsofsky, and Andrew Brunette.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Small thread from Emily Kaplan's interview on Vince Mercogliano's podcast here:

She specifically mentions Knoblauch, who she handicaps at the top of the list, as well as Jay Leach, Ryan Warsofsky, and Andrew Brunette.

I would imagine by the end of the playoffs, we may see some other names become available. I don’t think Drury is in any type of rush here. I think he’ll wait it out and see who and what may become available in the coming weeks while also doing his homework on who the candidates at the current moment are.

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly here, I think all this "must command respect, must have tons of experience" shit is smoke. They're gonna use that to start the search and quickly pivot to the "young, bright minds." Laviolette, Boudreau, and Babcock will probably maybe get interviews, but I think the real crop Drury will consider is Knoblauch, Leach, Brunette, and Warsofsky.

I wouldn’t call it smoke just yet. Much like I had no idea what would happen immediately after the season, I don’t think I have any idea which way Drury is leaning right now either. I think every organization is trying to be as innovative as Tampa was in finding the next Cooper. But that’s easier said than done. And for Drury, this could be a make-it-or-break-it hire. So if he does go the route of a younger guy with less experience, he has to nail it 200%.

I really wouldn’t be surprised with anything right now with this organization. I do think the newer guys seem more likely now strictly due to the fact that there are hardly any experienced guys on the market the way there were last year around this time. That may change, that may not change. I think he’ll slow-play this for a little bit.

Edited by RichieNextel305

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly here, I think all this "must command respect, must have tons of experience" shit is smoke. They're gonna use that to start the search and quickly pivot to the "young, bright minds." Laviolette, Boudreau, and Babcock will probably maybe get interviews, but I think the real crop Drury will consider is Knoblauch, Leach, Brunette, and Warsofsky.

Could be. I think they've got Knoblauch as a clear favorite in their mind, and will need to get blown away from an external interview, be it young bright mind or grizzled vet

Not so sure that Keenan's blunt heavy hand on Leetch 30 years ago would work on an elite player with a massive contract and NMC today.  It might be met with a shrug and "I'll be here when you're long gone."

17 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

can we get keenan out of retirement?

You probably don’t want that.

BUT, I think someone with a bit of Keenan in them wouldn’t necessarily be the worst thing for this group. Someone who will fucking sit you if you’re horsing around, committing bad turnovers, is sailing around out there or not doing what the system tells you to do. And will do it regardless of what name is on your back.

I honestly think that’s more important than track record. Someone who will hold privileged veterans accountable and isn’t afraid of it. You want to play? Do your fucking job.

I realise this is simplistic and a bit dumb, but after the last 4 or 5 years I think it’s needed.

Edit different takes there @Sod16

You might be right

Edited by Gravesy

55 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I wouldn’t call it smoke just yet. Much like I had no idea what would happen immediately after the season, I don’t think I have any idea which way Drury is leaning right now either. I think every organization is trying to be as innovative as Tampa was in finding the next Cooper. But that’s easier said than done. And for Drury, this could be a make-it-or-break-it hire. So if he does go the route of a younger guy with less experience, he has to nail it 200%.

I really wouldn’t be surprised with anything right now with this organization. I do think the newer guys seem more likely now strictly due to the fact that there are hardly any experienced guys on the market the way there were last year around this time. That may change, that may not change. I think he’ll slow-play this for a little bit.

Maybe not "smoke," but I feel like they're weighting this to change the optics. Like it's their way of basically helping to prop up the resume of "inexperienced" candidates by doing their due diligence on guys I think we all know they're not actually hiring — Babcock, Boudureau, etc.

If you start with the retread/lifers, you can say "well, we interviewed those guys, but we were really impressed by X," where X is one of these "bright, young minds."

Again, tea leaves, but I find it kinda hard to believe this won't be either Knoblauch, Jay Leach, or Andrew Brunette.

I hate that I have to say this every time there's any kind of vacancy...

Messier is not an option.

He won a cup with this team nearly 30 years ago as a player. Not a coach. Not a GM. As a player.

In the 30 years since he won the cup as a player for the Rangers, he has done absolutely nothing to warrant any sort of coaching or executive position. Despite throwing his own name into contention, he has demonstrated zero willingness to actually earn any of the positions he wants. He's been an assistant coach at a peewee tournament. That is it. They made up a Special Assistant to the GM position for him to feel like he contributed to the organization. If he ever had a shot at GM or president of the organization, he'd follow a track like Drury and Gorton who both rose from Player Development to then Assistant GM and so forth.

There's nothing that qualifies Messier as a coach. He's known as a leader. That's his rep. That's it. He's not a progressive thinker, a known strategist, or something that gives this team the coaching edge that it's been missing. He's a guy who won a cup 30 years ago as a player and that's all he'll ever do for this organization. He did his job. Be thankful for that. But he's not going to do anything else. He's a Mickey Mouse fantasy option for any legitimate position.

• Bullseye 2
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, fletch said:

Which is my concern with the minor league coaches, college coaches, assistant NHL head coaches suggested in this thread.  It's a comfortable locker room that has outlasted several coaches.  A new head coach with an established NHL reputation, system, and culture will be more likely to be successful with this group.  For whatever reason, this team (for years!) has a hard time playing 60 minutes at playoff intensity during a 7 game series.   And there are no consequences when a team or player doesn't compete at levels the organization expects.   The organization approach has been to fire coaches.  That has proven to be ineffective in changing the locker room culture.

i am personally starting to lean towards Sutter for the exact reasons mentioned.  No more Mr. nice guy. 

• The Chyt! 1

48 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

It might be met with a shrug and "I'll be here when you're long gone."

I think this whole narrative that the players are spoiled and revolted is not based in reality. Everything we've read has said that all the players took a lions share of the responsibility, the leadership especially took it really on themselves.

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

We see what Sutter did to Huberdeau. You think the board is in an uproar about Panarin now? Just wait until he's a 40 point player and benched for turnovers.

I dont care about Panarin, i care about this team winning.  If Panarin is detrimental to that goal, i'd drive him in his Panamara Tourismo back to russia. 

Just now, CCCP said:

I dont care about Panarin, i care about this team winning.  If Panarin is detrimental to that goal, i'd drive him in his Panamara Tourismo back to russia. 

Calgary missed the playoffs due to severe underperformance from their entire roster. I don’t think Sutter exactly got the most out of the group. 

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Calgary missed the playoffs due to severe underperformance from their entire roster. I don’t think Sutter exactly got the most out of the group. 

Sutter is a Stanley Cup winning coach and he looks like a no-shit taking coach to me.  Also, if any coach is unemployed, means his previous team underperformed in some capacity. 

25 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He won a cup with this team nearly 30 years ago as a player. Not a coach. Not a GM. As a player.

In the 30 years since he won the cup as a player for the Rangers, he has done absolutely nothing to warrant any sort of coaching or executive position. Despite throwing his own name into contention, he has demonstrated zero willingness to actually earn any of the positions he wants. He's been an assistant coach at a peewee tournament. That is it. They made up a Special Assistant to the GM position for him to feel like he contributed to the organization. If he ever had a shot at GM or president of the organization, he'd follow a track like Drury and Gorton who both rose from Player Development to then Assistant GM and so forth.

There's nothing that qualifies Messier as a coach. He's known as a leader. That's his rep. That's it. He's not a progressive thinker, a known strategist, or something that gives this team the coaching edge that it's been missing. He's a guy who won a cup 30 years ago as a player and that's all he'll ever do for this organization. He did his job. Be thankful for that. But he's not going to do anything else. He's a Mickey Mouse fantasy option for any legitimate position.

Messier also would be out of his fucking tree to give up the sweet gigh he has as an analyst right now.

I wouldn't want his All Time superior legacy to be tarnished with the failure of a position he was gifted that he quite simply has no experience with.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

29 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Dude....you have an "A"...

Frame your post!!!!  LOL

The only place I wanna see my Captain is on that front page of the Daily News I have framed on the wall in my office, hoisting that big sweet Silver chalice!!!