• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

42 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Not in love with Hynes. If Q was never happening, I think Laviolette was the best of the 'retread' coaches out there, and commands more respect. The entire coaching staff definitely needs an overhaul, though. Wasn't Hynes not that great with young players or was that false and/or overblown? I don't remember where I heard that exactly. 

No, Hynes has had success with young players.  But that doesn't even matter.  They'll have maybe one rookie in Cuylle or Othmann up front and possibly Jones on D.  They other 'young' players all have 3, 4, 5 years in the league.  They need a plan so they can just go play without have to think so much.  They're all well passed needing their hand held as the adjust to the league.

People hate Hynes and don't even really now why.  He's ugly.  He’s not an exciting name.  He's boring.  What do these things even mean?  He's a coach with a good defensive system.  He's proven the ability to limit quality chances against. This would be the deepest and most talented team he's ever had with one of the best goalies in the world.  There's a lot to be intrigued by.  We should be thinking more about what this team needs than what coaches have done in previous locations.  Hynes addresses most of the things that have been issues for years.

I'm not a fan of any of these names that have been thrown in the ring.  I read this thread every hour, every day and beg to see a name in here that gives me hope.

I admit, I don't know dick about Hynes, but I suppose I'm looking for a reason as to why I should like any of these fucking guys.  What LLTK posted here makes me at least wanna try to believe in what Hynes brings to the table.  Whether it translates onto the ice is yet another tale, but I'm really having a tough time buying into anyone at this point...including Roy, and Laviolette.

There really isn't anyone out there that makes me wanna pee my pants.  The guy we need and deserve can't coach here because the NHL....ahh, fuck it...I'm just aggravated today about this coach shit.  We're gonna end up with a fucking bum, and I'm not getting my hopes up for any of these clowns.

Holy Christ, do any of you Twitter people follow the account mickey8rangers? It’s a kid who claims he has sources (he doesn’t) and has been pleading for the Rangers to hire Messier. And Mercogliano poured cold water all over it yesterday (though we all know he isn’t a candidate) and he has literally flooded Twitter the last like day or so about nonsense about why Messier can’t be ruled out. If you’re all looking for comedy, follow the kid. Hysterical stuff.

Edited by RichieNextel305

40 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

No, Hynes has had success with young players.  But that doesn't even matter.  They'll have maybe one rookie in Cuylle or Othmann up front and possibly Jones on D.  They other 'young' players all have 3, 4, 5 years in the league.  They need a plan so they can just go play without have to think so much.  They're all well passed needing their hand held as the adjust to the league.

People hate Hynes and don't even really now why.  He's ugly.  He’s not an exciting name.  He's boring.  What do these things even mean?  He's a coach with a good defensive system.  He's proven the ability to limit quality chances against. This would be the deepest and most talented team he's ever had with one of the best goalies in the world.  There's a lot to be intrigued by.  We should be thinking more about what this team needs than what coaches have done in previous locations.  Hynes addresses most of the things that have been issues for years.

Yeah, and defensive structure has kind of been a problem. lol

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Anyone thinking it could remotely be Messier isn't living in reality.

The kid is an absolute loon. He keeps posting gifs of Messier from 94 saying this is the route to take because he brings passion. But it’s over and over and over and over. And even after Vince told him he isn’t in the running, he basically said there’s no confirmation that he isn’t in the running.

Theres also no confirmation that Nancy Pelosi is in the running. Does that need to be confirmed too?

My goodness. Funny stuff.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The kid is an absolute loon. He keeps posting gifs of Messier from 94 saying this is the route to take because he brings passion. But it’s over and over and over and over. And even after Vince told him he isn’t in the running, he basically said there’s no confirmation that he isn’t in the running.

Theres also no confirmation that Nancy Pelosi is in the running. Does that need to be confirmed too?

Passion is the only thing Messier could bring. The only way I'm bringing him in is if they need to tank for the next generational superstar. I have no doubt that Messier could coach an absolute dumpster fire.

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Holy Christ, do any of you Twitter people follow the account mickey8rangers? It’s a kid who claims he has sources (he doesn’t) and has been pleading for the Rangers to hire Messier. And Mercogliano poured cold water all over it yesterday (though we all know he isn’t a candidate) and he has literally flooded Twitter the last like day or so about nonsense about why Messier can’t be ruled out. If you’re all looking for comedy, follow the kid. Hysterical stuff.

I always thought HF boards was the worst hockey place on the internet until I started checking Twitter.

The average fan is an idiot and there are so many “insiders” and podcasters/whatever you call them now that all have just horrendous ideas and takes it’s either pure comedy or really fucking sad depending on what your outlook is.

I always see that knob who started the church of kakko and his buddy, Greg Kaplan I think is his name, pop up on my feed even though i don’t follow them. It’s like being stabbed directly in the brain with an icicle. No idea why they have such a following. 

Edited by siddious
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I always thought HF boards was the worst hockey place on the internet until I started checking Twitter.

The average fan is an idiot and there are so many “insiders” and podcasters/whatever you call them now that all have just horrendous ideas and takes it’s either pure comedy or really fucking sad depending on what your outlook it.

I always see that knob who started the church of kakko and his buddy, Greg Kaplan I think is his name, pop up on my feed even though i don’t follow them. It’s like being stabbed directly in the brain with an icicle. No idea why they have such a following. 

The worst

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

So-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance GIFs - Get the best GIF ...

3 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Anyone thinking it could remotely be Messier isn't living in reality.

Messier was told years ago, go to the juniors or the AHL or be an assistant. In fairness, he was re-married and had small kids, so that would not have been a very attractive life. And he didn't do it. Remember also his 2nd stint with the Rangers was with him being defacto management, and it wasn't very good. 

And having said all that, there is still a part of me that sometime in the Devils series would have like nothing better than a franchise hero with 6 rings reaming the living fuck out of this collection of nonhackers. But I also know comes a point that emotional appeal only goes so far if the team hasn't done the work. 

3 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Passion is the only thing Messier could bring. The only way I'm bringing him in is if they need to tank for the next generational superstar. I have no doubt that Messier could coach an absolute dumpster fire.

Everyone wants to coach game 7 and make the "Miracle" speech. Running a practice with tryout, AHL and ECHL guys at 6AM in early September, or breaking down tape for a video session after 3rd game of a 5 games in 8 night road trip in a Winnipeg hotel at 3AM, not so much. Yes, there's assistants, but the HC is the guy running the show no matter how much he delegates. Pretty much been the blind spot of this fan base forever; no ability to understand the work that has to be done. And a lot of it is boring, mundane and unfun. Until he were to take those steps of being something of a grunt with that kind of stuff, no way Messier is a head coach, here or anywhere else. 

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Messier was told years ago, go to the juniors or the AHL or be an assistant. In fairness, he was re-married and had small kids, so that would not have been a very attractive life. And he didn't do it. Remember also his 2nd stint with the Rangers was with him being defacto management, and it wasn't very good. 

And having said all that, there is still a part of me that sometime in the Devils series would have like nothing better than a franchise hero with 6 rings reaming the living fuck out of this collection of nonhackers. But I also know comes a point that emotional appeal only goes so far if the team hasn't done the work. 

How would reaming the living fuck out of the players counter the adjustments that Ruff made?

Edited by Long live the King

Just now, Long live the King said:

How would reaming the living fuck out of the players countered the adjustments that Ruff made?

Yup, Again, on emotional level, sure. When you don't have any breakouts that work and your defense looks they met at a tailgate before the game, the "Miracle" speech won't help. Always remember that we NEVER hear about the losing coach who gave the epic pregamer nor the last place team with great chemistry. A lot of that is shit that gets made up as genius afterward only if you win. 

20 hours ago, siddious said:

both things can be true. Coach didn’t have a system and the players were soft. You get better by fixing one of those things and one is a lot easier to fix than the other. 

I agree, they weren't firing the team. However, not sure how a coach with a system is going to make this team tougher. The blueprint is out on how to defeat the Rangers. just beat them up for 60 minutes. And come next season, I hope I'm wrong.

12 hours ago, Pete said:

The coach wasn't exposed? Ruff made a adjustments and GG didn't. But the coach wasn't exposed? Laughable. 

Soft? They didn't lose because they got outhit or roughed up out of the building. There was one game where it got physical and refs had to manage it. 

Whether a coach fixes all this remains to be seen but this team has enough talent that they should run it back out with a better coach. 

As a Ranger fan, I do hope you're right.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

I agree, they weren't firing the team. However, not sure how a coach with a system is going to make this team tougher. The blueprint is out on how to defeat the Rangers. just beat them up for 60 minutes. And come next season, I hope I'm wrong.

Who beat them up for 60 minutes? 

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Who beat them up for 60 minutes? 

The capitals, 2 years ago, beat them up for 60 seconds. 

Now that has become the narrative. 

I wish my love life had that narrative, beat it up good for 60 seconds and get credit for doing it for 60 minutes. 

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 1

9 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Lmao.

Hynes has had success with NOBODY. His record stinks. His excuse for not winning is the loss of his all world goalie. If all you can do is rely on your goalie to carry the team.... you have the NY Rangers. 

Playoff record-  Sucks. 

Regular season record- Sucks

Hynes- Sucks

Was the Nashville roster any worse than the Rangers? I don't think so. Not by much, if at all.  Nashville has had some decent players. Let's notvact like he's been coaching the  expansion Senators. This talk of this Rangers roster being the most talented roster he'd ever been in charge of is a slight reach. Top player for top player. The rosters aren't that far apart. Heck he got nothing out of a stud like Jeannot last year to the point they had to move on from him and trade him. 

Stinks.

Just now, The Dude said:

Lmao.

Hynes has had success with NOBODY. His record stinks. His excuse for not winning is the loss of his all world goalie. If all you can do is rely on your goalie to carry the team.... you have the NY Rangers. 

Playoff record-  Sucks. 

Regular season record- Sucks

Hynes- Sucks

Was the Nashville roster any worse than the Rangers? I don't think so. Not by much, if at all.  Nashville has had some decent players. Let's notvact like he's been coaching the  expansion Senators. This talk of this Rangers roster being the most talented roster he'd ever been in charge of is a slight reach. Top player for top player. The rosters aren't that far apart. Heck he got nothing out of a stud like Jeannot last year to the point they had to move on from him and trade him. 

Stinks.

Wait, did you really just say that Nashville's current roster is on par with the Rangers?