• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

2 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Still ignoring the context here.  Last season Saros got hurt before the playoffs and they drew the Aves who went 16-4  with 2 sweeps on their way to the cup.  This year they missed the playoffs.  They were decimated by injuries.  Josi missed 15 games, Duchene 11, Forsberg 32, Johansen 27, McDonagh 11.  Additionally, Poille traded Niederreiter, Granlund, and Ekholm who weren't even pending UFA's.  And they still only missed the playoffs by 3 points.

Also, neither of those rosters reflects the Ranger's current roster.  The Ranger's roster is better than anything he's had to work with prior.

Ah I see. Injuries and running into superior teams are an excuse for Hynes. Not Laviolette,  who had one of, if not the most games missed to Injuries this season or in his tenure.  And.... in the past he has lost in the cup finals... to the cup winner. But you're talking up 1st round exits.  

course diss GIF

Edited by The Dude

Why would Laviolette go in for 2 meetings? It's gotta be about his assistants. 

If not, why has Leach not been mentioned recently? He's gotta be a consideration.  Other lesser talked about voaches are getting hired. Cronin? 

No way Laviolette sits around waiting for the Rangers to decide on if they want Quennville or these other lesser candidates.  I'd think it's just details about who he must work with. 

43 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Why would Laviolette go in for 2 meetings? It's gotta be about his assistants. 

If not, why has Leach not been mentioned recently? He's gotta be a consideration.  Other lesser talked about voaches are getting hired. Cronin? 

No way Laviolette sits around waiting for the Rangers to decide on if they want Quennville or these other lesser candidates.  I'd think it's just details about who he must work with. 

Where else is he gonna go? The only other opening is Calgary. 

2 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Where else is he gonna go? The only other opening is Calgary. 

Calgary or nowhere. Can probably get a job when someone gets fired mid season.

If the Rangers lead him along and don't hire him at this point,  I'd think he pops off to the media. Shit thing to do to a well known coach 

59 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ah I see. Injuries and running into superior teams are an excuse for Hynes. Not Laviolette,  who had one of, if not the most games missed to Injuries this season or in his tenure.  And.... in the past he has lost in the cup finals... to the cup winner. But you're talking up 1st round exits.  

course diss GIF

Laviolette has coached for over 20 years with 5 different teams.  Hynes coming to the Rangers is the equivalent of when Laviolette went to the Flyers, a team that went Conference Finals to first round exit be Laviolette got there.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Calgary or nowhere. Can probably get a job when someone gets fired mid season.

If the Rangers lead him along and don't hire him at this point,  I'd think he pops off to the media. Shit thing to do to a well known coach 

Lead him along?  Pretty sure he knows Hynes is also in the running.

3 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Still ignoring the context here.  Last season Saros got hurt before the playoffs and they drew the Aves who went 16-4  with 2 sweeps on their way to the cup.  This year they missed the playoffs.  They were decimated by injuries.  Josi missed 15 games, Duchene 11, Forsberg 32, Johansen 27, McDonagh 11.  Additionally, Poille traded Niederreiter, Granlund, and Ekholm who weren't even pending UFA's.  And they still only missed the playoffs by 3 points.

Also, neither of those rosters reflects the Ranger's current roster.  The Ranger's roster is better than anything he's had to work with prior.

Poile and probably Trotz did not think enough of Hynes that they believed there was any shot of the Preds doing  in the playoffs, even if they got in. Also  Trotz probably wanted to be in a position to hire a coach he preferred for next season.

21 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Poile and probably Trotz did not think enough of Hynes that they believed there was any shot of the Preds doing  in the playoffs, even if they got in. Also  Trotz probably wanted to be in a position to hire a coach he preferred for next season.

Trotz just wanted his own guy.

And that’s commonplace.

And totally fine.

It doesn’t reflect poorly on Hynes.

And I’m not a Hynes advocate. 

But I’ll say he’s a guy whom I’d like to see with a premium roster… cause he’s never had that and by all accounts he has the tools to do well with real talent and depth. 

But who the fuck knows. 

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

23 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

And that’s commonplace.

And totally fine.

But I’ll say he’s a guy whom I’d like to see with a premium roster… cause he’s never had that and by all accounts he has the tools to do well with real talent and depth. 

But who the fuck knows. 

This guy gets it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Laviolette has coached for over 20 years with 5 different teams.  Hynes coming to the Rangers is the equivalent of when Laviolette went to the Flyers, a team that went Conference Finals to first round exit be Laviolette got there.

Laviolette came in and coached 57 games to a 3rd place finish in the Atlantic and a trip to the Cup finals. The following year he finished 1st in the Atlantic  and was a 2nd round exit losing to the eventual cup champs. The year after he finished 3rd in the Atlantic  and lost in round 2 to the eventual conference champs NJD.  You're timeliness is off this time. You're confusing his cup win (booooo right?) to his no playoffs after that. 

Not even explaining who these excuses are only legit for a scrub like Hynes. 

59 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

And that’s commonplace.

And totally fine.

But who the fuck knows. 

Didn't Laviolette take pretty much the same roster only younger to a cup final? The Preds have a pretty damn good lineup. Just haven't been winning.  

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Didn't Laviolette take pretty much the same roster only younger to a cup final? The Preds have a pretty damn good lineup. Just haven't been winning.  

As has been pointed out, they were injured.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Laviolette came in and coached 57 games to a 3rd place finish in the Atlantic and a trip to the Cup finals. The following year he finished 1st in the Atlantic  and was a 2nd round exit losing to the eventual cup champs. The year after he finished 3rd in the Atlantic  and lost in round 2 to the eventual conference champs NJD.  You're timeliness is off this time. You're confusing his cup win (booooo right?) to his no playoffs after that. 

Not even explaining who these excuses are only legit for a scrub like Hynes. 

My timeline is fine.  Look at the Flyers the two years before he got there.  They were already good.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

As has been pointed out, they were injured.

As has been pointed out to LLTK, Laviolettes Washington teams have been devastated by injuries.  But in his opinion,  thats no excuse. The excuse is only good, when it suites his anti Laviolette rhetoric.  

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

As has been pointed out to LLTK, Laviolettes Washington teams have been devastated by injuries.  But in his opinion,  thats no excuse. The excuse is only good, when it suites his anti Laviolette rhetoric.  

I'm not comparing the coaches, that's your argument with him. I'm just saying you can't blame Nashville's lack of success on the coach when they had the list of injuries that they did.

I have no skin in your debate about Laviolette versus Hynes. 

I'm not comparing them either.  When people say Hynes sucks.  Look at the 2 teams and circumstances he coached in.

Laviolette had 3 good years out of 20+.  But the Flyers made a cup final and 2 second rounds!  2 second rounds where they went 1-8, which I guess is something, before failing to make the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not comparing the coaches, that's your argument with him. I'm just saying you can't blame Nashville's lack of success on the coach when they had the list of injuries that they did.

I have no skin in your debate about Laviolette versus Hynes. 

Well that's my argument with him and everyone else who likes to dump on Laviolette, but butters up to the idea of Hynes or others. 

It wasn't directed at you, as you don't seem to hate Laviolette as far as I can tell. 

With Hynes, the overall wins aren't really there. His teams never finish well in the regular season, injuries or not. I'd get it if he had a couple 1st place finishes, but he doesn't have anything close. 

Does Hynes deserve another chance? Sure. Why not. There's been worse or similar unspectacular record coaches who constantly get gigs. How frikken Rick Bowness still gets jobs is hysterical to me.

Hynes atleast gets some props for some player production stats.  But I don't think nows the time to try him out in hopes that one of the most unlucky teams in NHL history is the team he breaks out with. Not at this time. 

At this point,  he's a guy that steps in if the next hire fails.  Stop gap,  season finisher, who may get a look for the following season, if he somewhat rights what's wrong with this team or another. 

Who knows.  Maybe he is assistant material right now. Maybe a step back is better for him.  

I have the guy I want to get the job. I'm pretty set in it. My 2nd option is gone. My 3rd isn't getting an interview and my 4th isn't getting much chatter all of a sudden.

Hynes isn't in my thoughts at all. I need a little more past results and if that can't be an attribute, I'd rather go with a fresh mind/ new guy. But only if they aren't a Drury puppet. I'll take Hynes over Knoblauch any day. Although the Drury connection is a little bothersome. 

My timeline is fine.  Look at the Flyers the two years before he got there.  They were already good.

They lost in the 1st round the year prior. Conference final year before that, No playoffs year before that. These are things you get on Laviolette for. But Stevens did a good job because... well he didn't, you just want to say he did. 

I'm not comparing them either.  When people say Hynes sucks.  Look at the 2 teams and circumstances he coached in.

Laviolette had 3 good years out of 20+.  But the Flyers made a cup final and 2 second rounds!  2 second rounds where they went 1-8, which I guess is something, before failing to make the playoffs.

Something tells me you can give Hynes another 10 years and he doesn't accomplish half of what you're mocking.

Not many coaches can say they made it to 3 cup finals. Not many can say they won 1. But to you it's nothing special. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well that's my argument with him and everyone else who likes to dump on Laviolette, but butters up to the idea of Hynes or others. 

It wasn't directed at you, as you don't seem to hate Laviolette as far as I can tell. 

With Hynes, the overall wins aren't really there. His teams never finish well in the regular season, injuries or not. I'd get it if he had a couple 1st place finishes, but he doesn't have anything close. 

Does Hynes deserve another chance? Sure. Why not. There's been worse or similar unspectacular record coaches who constantly get gigs. How frikken Rick Bowness still gets jobs is hysterical to me.

Hynes atleast gets some props for some player production stats.  But I don't think nows the time to try him out in hopes that one of the most unlucky teams in NHL history is the team he breaks out with. Not at this time. 

At this point,  he's a guy that steps in if the next hire fails.  Stop gap,  season finisher, who may get a look for the following season, if he somewhat rights what's wrong with this team or another. 

Who knows.  Maybe he is assistant material right now. Maybe a step back is better for him.  

I have the guy I want to get the job. I'm pretty set in it. My 2nd option is gone. My 3rd isn't getting an interview and my 4th isn't getting much chatter all of a sudden.

Hynes isn't in my thoughts at all. I need a little more past results and if that can't be an attribute, I'd rather go with a fresh mind/ new guy. But only if they aren't a Drury puppet. I'll take Hynes over Knoblauch any day. Although the Drury connection is a little bothersome. 

Laviolette had a season in NSH where they won they divison, 47-29-6 for 100 points.  Lost in the first round.  Hynes had one 45-30-7 for 97 points.  Finished 5th in the division, lost in the first round.  Is that division win really that special?  Were the rebuilding Devils supposed to be contending for the division title at the same time?

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

But who the fuck knows

1- politely asks who is "all accounts" in this instance

2- point 2 - goddamn right, nailed it, no argument here 

• LMFAO 1

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Something tells me you can give Hynes another 10 years and he doesn't accomplish half of what you're mocking.

Not many coaches can say they made it to 3 cup finals. Not many can say they won 1. But to you it's nothing special. 

When the coach is there for 5 years and they only make the playoffs once forgive me for not crediting the coach with being what put them over the top for the cup win.

7 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Laviolette had a season in NSH where they won they divison, 47-29-6 for 100 points.  Lost in the first round.  Hynes had one 45-30-7 for 97 points.  Finished 5th in the division, lost in the first round.  Is that division win really that special?  Were the rebuilding Devils supposed to be contending for the division title at the same time?

Special? No. Better . Yes.

I really have to explain that? 

The rebuilding Rangers went to the ECF with a bum like Gallant.  The rebuilding Devils remained rebuilding  years after Hynes left. The guy who played Hughes on the 4th line.took charge a few years prior to their rebuild.  They were to be competitive.  But weren't.