• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Taking Calls on Kaapo Kakko

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Roughly, and I don't know how you are that close on the math and don't see why Kakko's cap hit would probably need to go in order to upgrade top 6 RW. 2.2 in space isn't doing anything. 2.2 + 2.4 might. I'd be willing to eat the Goodrow buyout if it meant freeing up that last little bit required, but that depends on the quality of who you can get for the top 6.

Adding around the fringes is OK if the fringe doesn't include top 6, such that they need to dump more assets for a top 6 RW rental again at next year's deadline.

Because the upgrade within any reasonable price range doesn't exist anyway. Like, sure, if we off Kakko we could go get...uh...Daniel Sprong, I guess, but everyone else who is out there would require far more roster surgery or would fit into that number. 

I have Othmann penciled in there, anyway. He's as good a roll of the dice as overpaying for someone in FA when we have a few bigger contracts to figure out at the end of next year, anyway. Order the top 6 however you like, it's some combination of Panarin-Trocheck-Laf-Kreider-Mika-Othmann next year, IMO.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

You wouldn’t retain and attach a pick. It’s one or the other, really. And if it there’s no takers then it’d just be a buyout.

I would guess it’s pretty likely that Goodrow won’t be here next year, unless he has a phenomenal playoff and/or the Rangers win a Cup with what’s already here this year.

If you're going to buy out Goodrow, it's really now or never. It's actually a credit for next season, even if the longer term implications are a little worse (~1m/year with one exception in 2026-27 where it's 3.5M)

11 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

If you're going to buy out Goodrow, it's really now or never. It's actually a credit for next season, even if the longer term implications are a little worse (~1m/year with one exception in 2026-27 where it's 3.5M)

A buyout has to be last resort, and the savings has to be used on something that is worth it. If they are buying him out to get different bottom 6 guys, nah, that doesn't fly for me. If they are buying him out to afford an excellent player in the top 6, I think you bite that bullet.

Even in the hypothetical "replace Kakko" discussion, you have 4.6M in space (2.2M cap space + 2.4M from Kakko). If you lose Goodrow on top of that, and replace him with an ELC, it's another ~2.7M of space. Now you have $7.3M. It's enough space for a serious upgrade. Not the overpriced crusty crap on the trade bait lists.

44 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

A buyout has to be last resort, and the savings has to be used on something that is worth it. If they are buying him out to get different bottom 6 guys, nah, that doesn't fly for me. If they are buying him out to afford an excellent player in the top 6, I think you bite that bullet.

Even in the hypothetical "replace Kakko" discussion, you have 4.6M in space (2.2M cap space + 2.4M from Kakko). If you lose Goodrow on top of that, and replace him with an ELC, it's another ~2.7M of space. Now you have $7.3M. It's enough space for a serious upgrade. Not the overpriced crusty crap on the trade bait lists.

There is exactly one RW I'd give that much to on the FA list this offseason. And unfortunately, Sam Reinhart is gonna get like...10M+

8 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Wheeler takes the 3rd line spot rest of season. Othmann or Berard takes it next season. There’s zero issue replacing a 3rd line wing. It’s just not an issue. Kakko is expendable in every sense of the word, but only if the value is there. That’s why I asked what I asked. I’ll give Kakko and a 1 and a cherry on top for a legitimate top 6 player.

As you've shown.  Wheeler fits on the 3rd line and has already.  You don't have to replace Kakko. You have to get something better than Kakko, that fits the team needs. Right now, he's equal to Wheeler.  Either one works on the 3rd line. 1 actually kinda works and helps ES production on the 20/93 line. But we don't talk about it..

I'd rather use assets on a 3C or another high level skill C, more than anything. We can pump up Brodzinski all day. They still need a 3C. Brodzinski is a depth player. Right now, he a very good stop gap. Let's not kid ourselves. They need a C. 

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

“Rangers Hanging Up On Kaapo Kakko Calls”

Lock thread. Send hopes and prayers to Blake Wheeler.

Shouldn't trade him anyway. Leave him at 3rw. Come playoff time, that tertiary scoring is what makes the differences when coaches play chess to shut down top 6 guys.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Panarin doesn't want to play with Kakko, and that line has no room at the inn anyway. Kakko can't play with Zibanejad.

He's not a top 6 guy. It's time to trade him. This team can't be in the business of collecting 3rd line players with low ceilings.

24 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Panarin doesn't want to play with Kakko, and that line has no room at the inn anyway. Kakko can't play with Zibanejad.

He's not a top 6 guy. It's time to trade him. This team can't be in the business of collecting 3rd line players with low ceilings.

For the right deal Im in but the valid point has been made that he is a cost controlled productive 3rd line player with no one to fill his role therefore I feel it doesn't hurt to keep him. Put him back with Brodz and.Cuylle and let them do their thing. Go find a top 6 RW to sign and suddenly this doesn't matter anymore.

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm not against the idea. But I want to see Kakko with Zibanejad and a different LW. Only option is Cuylle. 

Or 20/93 with Lafrenière. 

Kakko looks his worst offensively with the 20/93 combo. I thought he was playing better with 50-22. 50-22 has been pretty invisible since Kakko was moved away. 

Why not try Kakko with Panarin though? I know Panarin doesn't want to play with him, but he's that hot, that it probably changes Kakkos mentality and he tries to be a shooter or a garbage man. 

Lafrenière is playing super confident right now. He's got some energy coming off of him. Put him with 20/93 to see if he lights a fire under them. 

Do some. Something different.

All season and the most change has been 2/3s of the 4th line and a 2 man rotation of the 20/93 RW. 10-16-13 has stuck together for 98% of the season. Cuylle is stapled to the 3rd line with an AHL lifer.. 

I know their record. It's very good. But they really aren't going to survive with one line and one D man contributing to expectations  (Fox has been back BTW) .  It sounds silly to say the 1st place team needs a shake up. But... they do. 

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

For the right deal Im in but the valid point has been made that he is a cost controlled productive 3rd line player with no one to fill his role therefore I feel it doesn't hurt to keep him. Put him back with Brodz and.Cuylle and let them do their thing. Go find a top 6 RW to sign and suddenly this doesn't matter anymore.

I mean what is there to replace at this point?  He's very replaceable  IMO. They can't get a guy to pop in 25-30 points and be a non factor most of the time?  He's a defensive minded forward I guess? But doesn't kill penalties? 

What would they miss that can't be replaced?

I'll accept people who can admit that they just don't want to give up on a 2 OA yet. Hoping he can just catch a break and start lighting the lamp. I'd get that. 

But I don't get the irreplaceable 3rd liner stuff. Jimmy Vesey does more for this team. A Othmann, Sykora or  Berard can easily step in and do what Kakko has achieved this year and pretty much his whole career.  

I'm over 2 OA. I don't feel like we need to justify keeping this player anymore. He's in "needs a change of scenery" territory.  Mayyyybe another shot on a top 6 line that isn't with 20/93 as his linemates can change my mind. But it's just not looking good at all with them.

Then again, nobody has looked good with them  besides Wheeler and that wasn't anything spectacular at all. If they won't split up 20/93, Kakko is shit out of luck. It's back to 3rd line obscurity on a line that may not regain its chemistry. 

27 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm with @The Dude. I think he's a replaceable player at this stage, and the ceiling isn't that high anymore.

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean what is there to replace at this point?  He's very replaceable  IMO. They can't get a guy to pop in 25-30 points and be a non factor most of the time?  He's a defensive minded forward I guess? But doesn't kill penalties? 

What would they miss that can't be replaced?

I'll accept people who can admit that they just don't want to give up on a 2 OA yet. Hoping he can just catch a break and start lighting the lamp. I'd get that. 

But I don't get the irreplaceable 3rd liner stuff. Jimmy Vesey does more for this team. A Othmann, Sykora or  Berard can easily step in and do what Kakko has achieved this year and pretty much his whole career.  

I'm over 2 OA. I don't feel like we need to justify keeping this player anymore. He's in "needs a change of scenery" territory.  Mayyyybe another shot on a top 6 line that isn't with 20/93 as his linemates can change my mind. But it's just not looking good at all with them.

Then again, nobody has looked good with them  besides Wheeler and that wasn't anything spectacular at all. If they won't split up 20/93, Kakko is shit out of luck. It's back to 3rd line obscurity on a line that may not regain its chemistry.

It's all of this. I'm in no hurry to move him just yet only because he's reliable defensively and relatively cheap, but I'm also not standing in the way of a trade if he's involved.

This isn't a player you go to the mat for.

Put Kakko back where he's a plus player on line 3.  Elevate Vesey again to line 2.   If CK-MZ can't figure it out at 5v5 at least make that line good for shutting down the opponent.

Pray that Bread and line 1 are ready to go come late April.

If Panarin and company get shut down in round 1 then CK-MZ either pick up the slack or we get ousted early again and Drury has clear marching orders for next summer breaking that line up in the only way that a coach can't reconstitute it: by trade.

Edited by Br4d

Kappo has been an anchor on any line he’s played on this season.  He literally has made Mica and Kreider look even more useless as 5 on 5 players than usual.  Sadly, Kappo is slow, does not engage with the game most nights, has limited offensive threats and it really looks like any glimmers that he’s more than a bottom 6 forward were sadly just that- flash in the pan type moments.  He’s got to go and it’s hopefully in the next 10 days( before the deadline.) With that said, Drury can only make this deal if he can get a right winger to replace him so it’s a tough spot.

It’s a real shame Kappo has not done anything to take any steps forward.  The bigger issue( for him) though is he’s likely the guy out of the young core who is easiest to replace so it’s why he’s likeliest to be dealt this deadline for one of the rentals we all know are being targeted by the Rangers.

3 hours ago, JHS said:

Kappo has been an anchor on any line he’s played on this season.  He literally has made Mica and Kreider look even more useless as 5 on 5 players than usual.  Sadly, Kappo is slow, does not engage with the game most nights, has limited offensive threats and it really looks like any glimmers that he’s more than a bottom 6 forward were sadly just that- flash in the pan type moments.  He’s got to go and it’s hopefully in the next 10 days( before the deadline.) With that said, Drury can only make this deal if he can get a right winger to replace him so it’s a tough spot.

It’s a real shame Kappo has not done anything to take any steps forward.  The bigger issue( for him) though is he’s likely the guy out of the young core who is easiest to replace so it’s why he’s likeliest to be dealt this deadline for one of the rentals we all know are being targeted by the Rangers.

I'm all for moving on. But I can't blame him for not producing with 20/93. Nobody has this season.  Only Wheeler had a semi decent run with them, where the line produced. It wasn't anything glorious either (and I liked Wheeler,  so..). 

I think Kakko looked best on line 3. He was driving that line and it was making a difference. He was almost confident. I didn't understand why Laviolette moved him off a line that was clicking. He keeps going to the same well with that line. Kakko or Vesey.  Vesey or Kakko.  Why not Lafrenière? Why not Goodrow? Why not Rempe? Why not move Kreider down and try Cuylle,  Vesey,  Goodrow or Panarin with Zibanejad any combination of RW? Put Kreider with Trocheck and any combination of RW. 

Why must they stay together? Do they pout when they can't play on the same line? These are 2 of the big culprits of continuing the east west, pass happy hockey we aren't supposed to be seeing. Are they malcontents? Keeping them together makes sense, if this is the case.

If its not (and i really dont think it is) the case. They are not cutting it at 5 on 5. They need to be split up and sent a message. It's a problem.  It's been a problem. They shouldn't even need any upgrade at RW. Those 2 should be carrying anyone and everyone they play with. 

With Kakko. I would rather keep him and keep hoping,  but I'm not shaping the roster around him.  If someone wants him. They can have him. Not giving him away, but also not a guy that's untouchable.  

Really should have sent him to Hartford for a conditioning assignment.  But, "they learned their lesson about rushing him and Lafrenière"... They've done nothing BUT rush Kakko at every opportunity. No conditioning stint, no time to build confidence with the line he was driving.  They've learned nothing.

The other kids firing away in Hartford are only still there because the Rangers don't want to depend on a rookie.  Othmann should have been up here by now. Again the Rangers learned nothing. It's just a phrase they put out there when ever anyone asks why not call up the hot hand. 

Edited by The Dude

Kakko to line 3.  He's helping the team there.

If somebody makes a good offer in the rental discussions maybe you let him go.

CK-MZ aren't going to snap awake suddenly with any of the people being discussed right now added to the line.  Vatrano was successful with them in '21-'22 because he was on a duck hunt, shooting the puck at every opportunity.  There's no way of knowing whether he'd add the same quality to the same effect to them this year.  Everybody is 2 years older at this point.