• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Taking Calls on Kaapo Kakko

Kakko played best with Cuylle and Brodzinski.  Put him back there.  Playing him with Kreider and Zibanejad has made 2 lines not work.  The answer is obvious if you aren’t separating the bromance they have to get a new RW to play with them.  Kakko isn’t the solution for that line. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Kakko played best with Cuylle and Brodzinski.  Put him back there.  Playing him with Kreider and Zibanejad has made 2 lines not work.  The answer is obvious if you aren’t separating the bromance they have to get a new RW to play with them.  Kakko isn’t the solution for that line. 

This is where I'm at, too. Just get a RW outside the org and hope it pays better dividends. Keep what works (provided Kakko isn't traded to make this happen).

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 hours ago, JHS said:

Kappo has been an anchor on any line he’s played on this season.  He literally has made Mica and Kreider look even more useless as 5 on 5 players than usual.  Sadly, Kappo is slow, does not engage with the game most nights, has limited offensive threats and it really looks like any glimmers that he’s more than a bottom 6 forward were sadly just that- flash in the pan type moments.  He’s got to go and it’s hopefully in the next 10 days( before the deadline.) With that said, Drury can only make this deal if he can get a right winger to replace him so it’s a tough spot.

It’s a real shame Kappo has not done anything to take any steps forward.  The bigger issue( for him) though is he’s likely the guy out of the young core who is easiest to replace so it’s why he’s likeliest to be dealt this deadline for one of the rentals we all know are being targeted by the Rangers.

I feel like you've got this completely backwards.

Mika line is where RWs go invisible because he and Kreids are to enamored with each other. 

Kakko was pretty much responsible for driving the third line and the main reason they were successful. As soon as Vesey went there, They disappeared. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is the only thing you've been right about in this thread.

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

Wouldn't expect anything less from a guy who just can't help himself but to be a douche when someone disagrees with you. Congrats on being undefeated in that sense (in your own mind).

shoe throwing GIF

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

Wouldn't expect anything less from a guy who just can't help himself but to be a douche when someone disagrees with you. Congrats on being undefeated in that sense (in your own mind).

shoe throwing GIF

I don't know how you were calling me a douche when you are the one that made the comment. Don't dish it out if you can't take a response. 

Edited by Pete

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

Mika line is where RWs go invisible because he and Kreids are to enamored with each other. 

Kakko was pretty much responsible for driving the third line and the main reason they were successful. As soon as Vesey went there, They disappeared. 

But if you consider the quality of RWs who have been tried, there’s a pattern in that they aren’t good enough. The Panarin line has historically not had a very good RW either (pre-trade deadlines), until this year, and the Panarin line has never looked as good as this year.

43 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

But if you consider the quality of RWs who have been tried, there’s a pattern in that they aren’t good enough. The Panarin line has historically not had a very good RW either (pre-trade deadlines), until this year, and the Panarin line has never looked as good as this year.

Well, in Kakko's case he was a catalyst on the 3rd line, I'm not so sure it's about the quality of the wing as much as the mentality of the other two. 

I don't think a right wing is going to make CK engage and MZ shoot more. 

The only other player they've been productive with on their line is Panarin. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well, in Kakko's case he was a catalyst on the 3rd line, I'm not so sure it's about the quality of the wing as much as the mentality of the other two. 

I disagree, and even if it was true it was like a 4 game sample size.

55 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's both. They looked their best with Wheeler and it wasn't anything special.  Everyone they put there becomes a pedestrian that gets open or goes to the net without the puck, yet Kreider and Zibanejad are playing as if no other forward is out there with them. Kinda on their own planet. 

We keep saying a volume shooter will wake them up,  but to me it just sounds like we want someone else to do the scoring on that line, besides our 2 -40 goal men.

How is a volume shooter going to help Zibanejad shoot more? The philosophy of how Zibanejad plays, needs to change.  The answer to getting him going isn't to get him to pass MORE to a guy that will hopefully shoot it. 

Take his toys away. Push Kreider to line 3. Give Zibanejad all new wingers. See if there's a difference in his mindset. 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's true, and it's more than 4 games.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_depthchart.php?team=NYR#:~:text=Goals-,EV - FORWARDS,-9

Scroll to "Recent PRoductive Lines", 2nd behind Trocheck line at ES. recently.

The last 3 games with them before he got moved to the Zib line, he had 0 points and was a -2. That line went on a heater and faded.

Anyway, I meant I disagree that he was a catalyst, or a line driver. I agree he was productive, but I also kinda think it was one of his usual “I’m getting better, no jk lol” mini stretches.

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's both. They looked their best with Wheeler and it wasn't anything special.  Everyone they put there becomes a pedestrian that gets open or goes to the net without the puck, yet Kreider and Zibanejad are playing as if no other forward is out there with them. Kinda on their own planet. 

We keep saying a volume shooter will wake them up,  but to me it just sounds like we want someone else to do the scoring on that line, besides our 2 -40 goal men.

How is a volume shooter going to help Zibanejad shoot more? The philosophy of how Zibanejad plays, needs to change.  The answer to getting him going isn't to get him to pass MORE to a guy that will hopefully shoot it. 

Take his toys away. Push Kreider to line 3. Give Zibanejad all new wingers. See if there's a difference in his mindset. 

Everyone they have put there is a pedestrian. They don’t become one. Wheeler was the best pedestrian they have tried - agreed with that.

I don’t want a volume shooter. I want a guy who can make plays. Maybe KZ try to do everything because they feel like they have to. What if they don’t have to?

25 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The last 3 games with them before he got moved to the Zib line, he had 0 points and was a -2. That line went on a heater and faded.

Anyway, I meant I disagree that he was a catalyst, or a line driver. I agree he was productive, but I also kinda think it was one of his usual “I’m getting better, no jk lol” mini stretches.

Well that line has done nothing since he got moved off of it. It's certainly wasn't Brodz or Cuylle moving the needle. 

41 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Everyone they have put there is a pedestrian. They don’t become one. Wheeler was the best pedestrian they have tried - agreed with that.

I don’t want a volume shooter. I want a guy who can make plays. Maybe KZ try to do everything because they feel like they have to. What if they don’t have to?

Well, that is why Kakko should have worked there. But, those 2 didn't want to go to the hard areas to receive passes from the guy who needs the puck on his stick. So, Zibanejad kept the puck on his stick and patrolled the perimeter trying to force cross ice garbage to Kreider and vice versa.  If Kakko had the puck, those 2 did absolutely nothing to go to the middle, front, slot to give Kakko any play. 

Yet somehow,  when on line 3, Kakko could set up shitty Brodzinski in the slot or for a rush to the net. Or a tap in by the side of the net for Cuylle.  Hell, Kakko was able to create his own opportunities due to where Cuylle and Brodzinski were drawing defenders on the ice. I'm not going to look, but I can almost guarantee Kakkos high danger scoring chances went up, when he played with "lesser" players. 

These 2 are the bigger problem than their lesser RWs. You get them Tarasenko and these cunts will stand around, float and glide even more. Because like last season.  They are waiting for someone else to do it all. 

It sounds like you want more than a guy that can make plays. Sounds like you want another 40 goal guy to pair with 2-40 goal guys. 

What team has that? What type of plays are you talking about? They've tried a possession guy, a guy that can get open, and a guy that ....... well they tried Vesey. 

You want a net crasher? A physical presence? A passer? A dangler? Another possession guy? Zibanejad is the playmaker/shooter. That line should only need JAG. 

Edited by The Dude

5 hours ago, Pete said:

He has less than 25 points( not goals- points) all season.  What exactly was he “driving?.”  

The standards are so low for Kappo that right now if he has meaningful contributions in a game we are all happy.

18 minutes ago, JHS said:

He has less than 25 points( not goals- points) all season.  What exactly was he “driving?.”  

The standards are so low for Kappo that right now if he has meaningful contributions in a game we are all happy.

I don't get what this has to do with it. There were 3-4 goals directly as a result of him making plays and taking shots.

He's developing. He took steps back this year. Development isn't linear. 

If Kaapo Kakko wants to keep the job on the top line and the ice time that comes with it, the Finnish wing can’t afford to be held without a shot on goal like he was Saturday night. Two total shots on goal through his first two games back with Kreider and Zibanejad isn’t going to cut it.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/04/sports/rangers-search-endlessly-for-wing-next-to-mika-zibanejad-chris-kreider/

So weird how this keeps happening every time he gets promoted and proceeds to do nothing with the opportunity.

0ecd79ca-713e-46f7-a997-ca3097f04a42.jpe

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

I mean, a showcase is what makes the most sense. Even Brooks and a bunch of writers were openly questioning why they made that move when they did. The fact he's not been traded since is also probably telling if that was, in fact, a showcase. Pretty miserable showing(s).