• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Taking Calls on Kaapo Kakko

37 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I haven't subscribed to The Hockey News in a very long time. How is it now? Keep in mind it's been almost 20 years since I've gotten it. I just never renewed it for some reason.

Well if you haven't missed it for 20 years I think you've answered your own question. 

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I haven't subscribed to The Hockey News in a very long time. How is it now? Keep in mind it's been almost 20 years since I've gotten it. I just never renewed it for some reason.

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well if you haven't missed it for 20 years I think you've answered your own question. 

I’ll be the broken record here….

In the 80’s and 90’s, The Hockey News was excellent.

Especially in the US where hockey received almost no coverage outside of a few markets.

There were a couple of very good hockey writers at Sports Illustrated and the rest of them were at THN.

The guys who were at THN were not only hooked into the league as a whole, but they had many imbedded, essentially beat reporters. And in the pre-internet days, you got full and comprehensive updated stats every week.

If you were a subscriber then, I’m sure that you remember the newspaper format they used.

It was great. 

Over the last 20 years, they’ve gone beyond “downhill.”

Its bad.

God awful writing.

No real insiders.

And they completely missed the boat on the internet and online articles and it’s absolutely killed them as a viable publication and platform. 

While they aren’t the sensationalist garbage that websites like Puck Reporter are, they aren’t much far north of that.

And they’ve fallen into the same category as many other sports sites do about their articles in that the editing and oversight they have is awful.

You can see it based on what they publish. 

There’s almost no proof reading. Articles get published full of misspellings and typos. No grammar and punctuation.

Run on sentences.

Double negatives. 
Repeat points in the same paragraph.

Ill give a real world example.

My wife was an English major and worked as a writer and editor for a major publishing company for many years.

She doesn’t do so any longer cause she’s disabled from an accident and has migraine disorder. 

Our daughter has shown an interest in hockey and as a result, my wife has shown some interest too, so as to have something we can all talk about together. So she started reading some articles, on ESPN, TSN, some fan sites, and also, the Hockey News.

The amount of poorly published articles shes pointed out would blow your mind.

They suck. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Well, it's not that I haven't missed it, I just kind of cut it out of my budget a long, long time ago because it was just an extra expense and I didn't have a ton of money at the time. lol . lol Also, I was a broke college student and we moved around a bit for a few years, so I just didn't bother once I got settled. I don't know why I never re-subscribed after that, though. lol

Edited by Sharpshooter

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’ll be the broken record here….

In the 80’s and 90’s, The Hockey News was excellent.

Especially in the US where hockey received almost no coverage outside of a few markets.

There were a couple of very good hockey writers at Sports Illustrated and the rest of them were at THN.

The guys who were at THN were not only hooked into the league as a whole, but they had many imbedded, essentially beat reporters. And in the pre-internet days, you got full and comprehensive updated stats every week.

If you were a subscriber then, I’m sure that you remember the newspaper format they used.

It was great. 

Over the last 20 years, they’ve gone beyond “downhill.”

Its bad.

God awful writing.

No real insiders.

And they completely missed the boat on the internet and online articles and it’s absolutely killed them as a viable publication and platform. 

While they aren’t the sensationalist garbage that websites like Puck Reporter are, they aren’t much far north of that.

And they’ve fallen into the same category as many other sports sites do about their articles in that the editing and oversight they have is awful.

You can see it based on what they publish. 

There’s almost no proof reading. Articles get published full of misspellings and typos. No grammar and punctuation.

Run on sentences.

Double negatives. 
Repeat points in the same paragraph.

Ill give a real world example.

My wife was an English major and worked as a writer and editor for a major publishing company for many years.

She doesn’t do so any longer cause she’s disabled from an accident and has migraine disorder. 

Our daughter has shown an interest in hockey and as a result, my wife has shown some interest too, so as to have something we can all talk about together. So she started reading some articles, on ESPN, TSN, some fan sites, and also, the Hockey News.

The amount of poorly published articles shes pointed out would blow your mind.

They suck. 

This was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you. I guess I'll avoid.

• Cheers 1

The internet killed off a lot of sports publications because they weren't stats first.  95% of the stories and reporting are pablum and always were to keep access to the product.  When people started going stats first in a widely available format the price of the newsprint became prohibitive.

The classic case here is Pro Football Weekly, which was a must-read in the 80's and 90's and shut down briefly in 2013 before re-opening in partnership with an internet publisher.  The print version is gone and the online is the same pablum and mush it used to produce and as a result read by very few.

Pro Football Talk on the other hand has dominated what used to be the audience for the old print magazine.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

This was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you. I guess I'll avoid.

My pleasure.

It’s actually funny you brought it up… or that it got brought up in a general sense.

Ill be as concise as I can be here…

My wife just had a minor surgery so she was in bed for a couple of days and had nothing to do really. So she read a lot.

One day I picked up our daughter up and we came home.. the night of a Ranger game and we came in and we’re talking about it… coincidentally my wife had just finished a hockey article from THN. And she literally was like…and I quote…

”I was a senior editor for multiple major publications, both in print and online and the article I just read about this kid from Finland that the Rangers might trade is so full of typos and mistakes is embarrassing.

How did this get published?

Its so poorly written that you can’t take the subject matter seriously.”

22 minutes ago, BreakawayMachine said:

I'm fine if we dump Kakko and move on. There is no magical jump or next gear coming with him. I am tired of pretending a 2nd overall pick that has 106 points in 271 games is anything remotely positive just because he plays the boards well.

I'm leaning towards this. Drop Wheeler to play with Cuylle and Brodzinski. Trade Kakko in a deal for a legitimate, non-rental top 6 RW to stick with KZ. Drury just needs to get the target right.

Edited by BrooksBurner

I hope Drury has patience with Kakko.  I'm old and fucking senile, and I probably won't remember the others that have slipped through our fingers, but I can remember Rick Middleton, and JT Miller, who we totally fucked the duck on.

We need RW's.  Why are we trading one that's going to be cheap to resign, defensively responsible, and has a high offensive ceiling at the ripe old age of 23??

No way...If I'm GM, I ain't trading this kid.  I've seen this movie before and I know how it ends.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

If we can package Kakko for a legit top 6 RW who is not a UFA in waiting that's fine.

Realistically we're not getting more than a rental for him in any deal where he is the main piece.  He just hasn't shown enough to pull that kind of value on his own.

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If we can package Kakko for a legit top 6 RW who is not a UFA in waiting that's fine.

Realistically we're not getting more than a rental for him in any deal where he is the main piece.  He just hasn't shown enough to pull that kind of value on his own.

Yea.

"Let's dump him because he sucks, but only for a legit RW who's not a UFA"...OK so you're essentially saying make him a throw in, because he's not getting you that by himself.

Meanwhile he's an extremely effective 3rd liner at 22, with cost control.

What would be the reason to trade him and then try to replace him when Wheeler's wheels fall off? Doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea.

"Let's dump him because he sucks, but only for a legit RW who's not a UFA"...OK so you're essentially saying make him a throw in, because he's not getting you that by himself.

What would be the reason to trade him and then try to replace him when Wheeler's wheels fall off? Doesn't make any sense.

Correct-o-mundo!

sexy happy days GIF

Whether it was the game 7 benching.  His contract or his moving up and down lines...he has always said and done the right thing. I hope it works out.

At this point, how much does it matter what round we took him in?  If we got him later in the draft would we be happier with him?

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Yea.

What kind of trade value do you think he has?

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

What kind of trade value do you think he has?

Enough to warrant holding out for more than what others would give for him.

He's worth more to the Rangers as a young, cost-controlled shutdown RW than he is to the open market as a former 2nd overall pick.

• Bullseye 1

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Enough to warrant holding out for more than what others would give for him.

He's worth more to the Rangers as a young, cost-controlled shutdown RW than he is to the open market as a former 2nd overall pick.

It's possible that you might be surprised. Nobody knows what his value is.

• Like 1

His .25 ppg pace is right on par with his contract at this point. I guess my thought is he is no where near untouchable and is definitely considered one of our top trade pieces due to his contract, defensive responsibility and possible ceiling. If trading him presents an upgrade for the right side then we certainly must entertain it. Trading him doesn't change the depth issues that exist on the right side though so I'm torn. It'll be interesting to see how it goes down in a few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's possible that you might be surprised. Nobody knows what his value is.

Sure. But that isn't because we don't have a good sense of his value. It's because we don't have a good sense of how insane NHL GMs are and what players might really be on the block.