• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Taking Calls on Kaapo Kakko

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m a little confused by the quote. Doesn’t Vince cover the team as a beat writer?  I believe any player on the Rangers could be moved at the right price.  So he’s basically saying nothing. If he has a source saying that yeah Kakko is being shopped than say that otherwise it’s just click bait  

4 minutes ago, Fkm said:

I’m a little confused by the quote. Doesn’t Vince cover the team as a beat writer?  I believe any player on the Rangers could be moved at the right price.  So he’s basically saying nothing. If he has a source saying that yeah Kakko is being shopped than say that otherwise it’s just click bait  

He’s arguably The best best writer & has great access to the team. 

if he’s saying that it most likely means the rangers don’t view him as a keep at all costs prospect anymore, which yes is pretty obvious, but never the less that’s basically confirmation. 

22 minutes ago, siddious said:

if he’s saying that it most likely means the rangers don’t view him as a keep at all costs prospect anymore, which yes is pretty obvious, but never the less that’s basically confirmation. 

It’s actually not confirmation of anything other than what dredger already said.  If he has a source say so. Otherwise he’s basically saying the sky is blue and water is wet. 

26 minutes ago, Fkm said:

He works for USA Today. What do you expect? Quality hockey content backed by sources? LOL. The Post has that and more.

• 'Merica! 1

26 minutes ago, siddious said:

Donald Trump GIF

• LMFAO 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

47 minutes ago, Fkm said:

That's what Vince does. Everything is couched in as many caveats and qualifiers as possible to cover his ass. Friedman does the same thing.

The only reason I shared it is because it double-confirms the report and from a Rangers' source.

• Bullseye 1

I’m not questioning you posting it. I’m questioning Vince as if he’s giving information. He’s saying that the rangers COULD eventually get to the point where they would entertain trading kakko.  Thanks Vince for stating the obvious. dredger already reported they are taking calls on him.  So yeah I guess they COULD be open to it. 
TheRangers COULD eventually be open to trading anyone.   The Rangers could be open to trading Igor too if he doesn’t play better because they won’t be resigning him if he doesn’t.  Obvious. I’d expect more from a beat writer than reporting the obvious as news.   

He has to talk about Kakko given the rumors.  Ignoring it makes no sense.  What he does is to confirm the idea that it makes sense for the Rangers to move Kakko if they see a good offer out there.

This is something we already know but a top beat writer still has to give his opinion on the rumor.  He's not doing his job if he avoids the topic completely.

It doesn't really matter what the Rangers think, it's what the league thinks of the player. 

At this point, he's not getting you an upgrade on anything. Maybe somebody views him as a throw in to sweeten a pot or else some type of lottery ticket.

My view is that he's more valuable to retain than to ship out. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1

Just now, Pete said:

It doesn't really matter what the Rangers think, it's what the league thinks of the player. 

At this point, he's not getting you an upgrade on anything. Maybe somebody views him as a throw in to sweeten a pot or else some type of lottery ticket.

This is definitely the case if the Rangers are in wait and see mode on the season.  It's also probably true if they're beginning to game out a core dump this summer.

If the Rangers are all-in mode this year then Kakko is probably not going to help them as much as what they could get for him, this assuming they're looking all present value in the deal.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Yup.

And we all know the reasons why.

He’s fine for now and he’s a piece you need on the right side. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree with you. No point in trading him unless the trade is a no brainer. He’s useful yet disappointing because of his draft status. He could develop into much more though and he’s paid nothing in the meantime. They need more guys playing above their pay not less. He fits that for now. 

My last post regarding Vince. I promise. 

dredger reports the Rangers are taking calls on Kakko. Meaning a source is telling him the Rangers are discussing moving him and that it’s not just speculation that they are considering it anymore.   The news here is that people are calling and the Rangers are discussing. 

Vince is reporting that the rangers could get to the point they will trade Kakko. Just more speculation with no new news

huge difference

8 minutes ago, Fkm said:

My last post regarding Vince. I promise. 

dredger reports the Rangers are taking calls on Kakko. Meaning a source is telling him the Rangers are discussing moving him and that it’s not just speculation that they are considering it anymore.   The news here is that people are calling and the Rangers are discussing. 

Vince is reporting that the rangers could get to the point they will trade Kakko. Just more speculation with no new news

huge difference

The translation for all of this is that at previous deadlines Kakko was off the table and now maybe he isn't. 

It doesn't mean they're actively shopping him. 

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

...and there we go! 

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

19 hours ago, Pete said:

I feel like the value is equal honestly. He doesn't fill a role that no one else couldn't step into. I feel like he needs a jumpstart elsewhere because he doesn't look good here. I feel the lights are a bit too bright for Mr. Kakko. It's okay, he isn't the first and he seems like a nice guy who tries hard. Wish him luck wherever it may be but I don't think he gets unlocked here.

Edited by jsm7302

How tough is it to read this 5 years later?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/prospect-interest-finnish-playmaker-kaapo-kakko/

“The things Kaapo did in practice were insane,” Budish said. “I played in Milwaukee (Nashville’s AHL club) for four seasons and saw guys like Kevin Fiala and Filip Forsberg who are pretty skilled. But Kaapo is different.”

Unsurprisingly, his performance in May earned him some pretty high praise from national team head coach Jukka Jalonen, who was clear about what he’d do if he found himself in the Devils’ position:

“If New Jersey wants a winner, they should pick Kakko,” Jalonen told Julie Robenhymer during the tournament.

“Hughes is a great player as well, but in the important games, Kakko has always been better,” he said. “He is already playing like a man. He could play in the NHL right now, and in a few months, he will be even better. After a few years, he will be one of the best players in the world.

Considering the circumstances of this year’s draft – a high-scoring Finnish winger chasing a strong USNTDP centreman – it’s easy to suggest Kakko is the Laine to Hughes’ Auston Matthews, but Kakko says it’s actually Matthews whom he models his game after.

“In some ways, he reminds me a lot of Mikko Rantanen at the same age, but I think Kaapo is a better skater, more skilled,” Niittymaki said of the two TPS alumni.