• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Taking Calls on Kaapo Kakko

The headline is not what the video says, but sure. 

EDIT: Oh shit, the video hung.

Crazy that they think they can get anything for him right now.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

He verbatim says "I know that multiple sources have said Drury is taking calls on Kakko"

I verbatim said the video hung and I didn't hear it the first time. 

Taking calls is completely fine. He's not that difficult a player to upgrade on. The big question is gonna surround exactly who they sell him for (if they do). Is it a short-term piece to win now (think Callahan for St. Louis) or something longer-term?

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Kakko isn't going to sell well solo is my guess.  Maybe a package with Miller and they're trying to use Kakko to bring out the offer?

Been reported the Rangers aren't moving defense. 

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Taking calls is completely fine. He's not that difficult a player to upgrade on. The big question is gonna surround exactly who they sell him for (if they do). Is it a short-term piece to win now (think Callahan for St. Louis) or something longer-term?

I kind of wonder if, given the lack of picks due to rental trades the last couple of seasons, Drury isn't looking at some of these rentals and thinking Kakko might bring back one of them AND a pick. Example: Kakko for Henrique/Duclair and a 3rd. He recoups a lost pick, upgrades the lineup for a few months, and can use $2.4M (Kakko's QO amount) towards a better winger next season.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Been reported the Rangers aren't moving defense. 

Well, that's one thing you'd say if you were trying to get somebody to pry Miller away from you in a deal.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

I kind of wonder if, given the lack of picks due to rental trades the last couple of seasons, Drury isn't looking at some of these rentals and thinking Kakko might bring back one of them AND a pick. Example: Kakko for Henrique/Duclair and a 3rd. He recoups a lost pick, upgrades the lineup for a few months, and can use $2.4M (Kakko's QO amount) towards a better winger next season.

This would make sense.  I'm not down on Kakko at all but I've kind of seen him as a 3rd liner for awhile and if you can get back a more productive 3rd liner and a pick from a team likely to pick high in the round in question it's probably an acceptable deal.

I'd much rather send Miller and Kakko to Minny for Eriksson Ek and an LD but they kind of have to approach us with the idea to have any chance of making it work.

He’s had 5 nhl seasons give or take and I can’t recall a single play or goal that mattered. I’m fine moving on from him. I’m certain he will become an 80pt player elsewhere but if it helps the team then I’m all for it. 

the timing however sucks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This would make sense.  I'm not down on Kakko at all but I've kind of seen him as a 3rd liner for awhile and if you can get back a more productive 3rd liner and a pick from a team likely to pick high in the round in question it's probably an acceptable deal.

I'd much rather send Miller and Kakko to Minny for Eriksson Ek and an LD but they kind of have to approach us with the idea to have any chance of making it work.

I've been fully on board going for Ek, but I think for a guy like him you have to be proactive about. Minny doesn't have a reason to deal him unless they really want certain players from another team and that team requests him. I mean there could be an initial call from Minny to gauge interest in Miller or Kakko, but getting Ek in the conversation is probably going to have to be brought up by Drury in response. "We like Miller an awful lot, but we might consider it for the right player coming back. We like Ek. Are you open to negotiating?"

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Not everything is a conspiracy. 

My comment has nothing to do with conspiracy.  It has to do with sound business acumen.  If you want to sell something as high as possible you may it look unattainable until you get into negotiations.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

My comment has nothing to do with conspiracy.  It has to do with sound business acumen.  If you want to sell something as high as possible you may it look unattainable until you get into negotiations.

Or maybe they're just happy with their defense and aren't planning on moving anyone? Occam's razor and all. 

If it's out in the world that they're taking calls on KK, it would be out in the world that they're taking calls on Miller too. Vince was just on the Jeff Marek show and said everything he's hearing about the deadline is regarding the forwards and that the team is happy with their defense. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Or maybe they're just happy with their defense and aren't planning on moving anyone? Occam's razor and all. 

If it's out in the world that they're taking calls on KK, it would be out in the world that they're taking calls on Miller too. Vince was just on the Jeff Marek show and said everything he's hearing about the deadline is regarding the forwards and that the team is happy with their defense. 

I'm somewhat alarmed that they're happy with their defense, if that's the case. I don't like the prospect of Gustafsson or Jones on 3LD at the playoffs, and Miller's funk is really testing our LD depth. 

Maybe I'm overly concerned, or simply need to trust people who I assume are far more expert in this than I am, but I would really want another veteran LD for this run.

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm somewhat alarmed that they're happy with their defense, if that's the case. I don't like the prospect of Gustafsson or Jones on 3LD at the playoffs, and Miller's funk is really testing our LD depth. 

Maybe I'm overly concerned, or simply need to trust people who I assume are far more expert in this than I am, but I would really want another veteran LD for this run.

Being happy with their defense doesn't mean they won't add to it. Frankly they probably don't have the cap anyway. It just means they're not interested in shipping anyone out. 

a playoff team does need to trade for KK, he brings nothing.  I would think tanking or rebuilding teams would have interest the most. Look at the assets of teams like SJ or Anaheim or Chicago.  And the rangers would probably want to ship him as far away from their division as possible