• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Patrick Kane From Blackhawks for 2023 Conditional 2nd Round Pick and a 4th Round Pick

Phil

30 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think so too. You hope Shesterkin gets hot, but the weakness with this team is the coaching. These moves are basically forcing Gallant's hand to put out four really good lines. It's like you have to dumb it down for him so he can't screw with things too much.

With Kane coming in now you wonder just how much it eats into the playtime for the kid's line, which has obviously been very good.

I don’t see it changing ice time much, I mean Panarin and Trocheck got their minutes and we still got the boys to men line out there. It will change the PP however. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

And that ain't getting fixed so long as GG is coach, so the current construction is as good as it gets. The goal is to ride elite goal tending and arguably the deepest offensive depth in the league and see how far it takes them.

If they fail early, I think GG is out on his ass, at which point we can figure out whatever the hell comes next.

The names this year have certainly been bolder-faced. They are higher-end in terms of skill and pedigree. They are more like some of those names listed at the top here, big names that seduced Dolan and previous general managers into thinking they could all be as good here as they were elsewhere. Drury’s moves last season were pragmatic; the ones this season seem more like collecting rather than assembling the best roster to face a four-round playoff gauntlet.

We shall see. If it doesn’t work, Gallant might be the one who takes the blame. He was close to being a casualty of the Rangers’ 11-10-5 start this season and somehow doesn’t get much credit for 23-7-4 since. If Dolan is as eager for a bigger name behind the bench as he is for big names on the ice, well, Barry Trotz has a job now but Joel Quenneville — still on the NHL’s banned list for his role in the Kyle Beach assault with the Hawks — could be cleared this summer.

https://theathletic.com/4261657/2023/02/28/rangers-patrick-kane-trade-lineup/

Staple says the same.

Better put out an APB for the "elite" Igor. Imo while the forwards are potentially one of best groups out there the D is lacking. I don't blame it all GG, maybe a lot of it but there's some physical and more alarmingly mental mistakes made back there that you're taught not to make as kids.

🙏 It all comes together. We can't have average Igor that much I'm pretty sure of. 

• Cheers 1
  • Believe 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Getting Patrick Kane for pennies on the dollar is a no brainer. However, it makes me wish we didn't do the Tarasenko deal. We are still missing pieces.

Do any of them fight and check?

oooooo-boy

All I know and care about is that right now at least on paper this roster looks the best since….. I guess cup winning roster of 94. Will it work in real life, time will tell but for now we have the best tool available these days in nhl. 

Edited by Art20c
  • Believe 1

4 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

We better not be retaining half your salary. I've got bill's to pay, and St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

@Phil already made me a solid offer with "Wordle" rights and free beer!   I'm signed long term, and not going anywhere, anytime soon!

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

8 hours ago, siddious said:

I don’t care what anyone says we’re going to eat the devils alive in the playoffs. 

Boston, Tampa, and Toronto might be a different story but I think we can easily keep up With and certainly my beat any of them. Bruins, after recent trades the only team

that really scares me now. 

It's probably going to be Carolina in the first round at this rate lol Although they worry me a lot less than the Devils, but yeah it's the Atlantic opponents that will be the most challenging to get through. 

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

I'd say that this going pear shaped is the probable outcome. Core forwards are a completely random group of players. Mostly very soft. Very weird mix. Half of the top 6 are just names that were available, so we gobbled them up. 

However, it's fun so let's see how it plays out. 

I miss your Don Cherry takes. Post more often please 😛 

8 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

If they bring in Quenneville after this season and resign Kane, I'll lose a lot of faith in this org. Can we ever make our own product without trying to retread something? Dumb argument right now because there is nothing that even remotely suggests it would happen.

41 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

If they bring in Quenneville after this season and resign Kane, I'll lose a lot of faith in this org. Can we ever make our own product without trying to retread something? Dumb argument right now because there is nothing that even remotely suggests it would happen.

We are really getting ahead of ourselves on that. 

11 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

I don't care if Wade Redden was put in charge of D-pairings or if Rick Nash runs the post-season offense...just win a damn Cup! All sins will be forgiven if we get to enjoy a June parade. 

I generally agree, but let's not get carried away. 😏

I think the thing that’s key here is that both Tarasenko and Kane both know what the playoffs are like, know how much time and ice shrink and have been successful in those environments.

I said what I said about Tarasenko when we got him with his resume in the playoffs. It speaks for itself, and the guy is a total freak there. And we all know what Patrick Kane does when the lights shine their brightest. We’re talking about a guy who is one of the most clutch players in recent memory.

So for everyone saying we’re soft, sure we didn’t add a 6’4, 230 pound power forward. But we got two guys who flat out produce in big games.

• Believe 1

I know Kane hasn't had the best linemates in Chicago this year, but they got both of these guys basically having the worst years of their career. It kind of reminds me of the Eric Staal situation where the Rangers got him cheaply because he was having a bad season and he came here and was not very good. I think it was a bad year for him, as well as AV not really using him that well.

I do have a more positive outlook of this situation than I did that one, but I just kind of harkened back to that move in my mind a little bit since we didn't have to give up a ton of total assets for the both of these players either. Of course these players are better and this is a much better Rangers team and better situation they're coming into.

• Believe 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

I know Kane hasn't had the best linemates in Chicago this year, but they got both of these guys basically having the worst years of their career. It kind of reminds me of the Eric Staal situation where the Rangers got him cheaply because he was having a bad season and he came here and was not very good. I think it was a bad year for him, as well as AV not really using him that well.

I do have a more positive outlook of this situation than I did that one, but I just kind of harkened back to that move in my mind a little bit since we didn't have to give up a ton of total assets for the both of these players either. Of course these players are better and this is a much better Rangers team and better situation they're coming into.

That Staal move was grasping at straws trying to get liquid out of a rock. That Rangers team was gased, tired and honestly, it’s best was way behind them.

Kane and Tarasenko are both still superstar talents. Yeah, it’s been an off year. But you’re talking about 2 guys who scored 92 and 82 points last season. Staal was far from his best when he got here; very far. That’s why he was so cheap. Kane was so cheap because he held all the cards on where he wanted to go.

• Believe 1

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

That Staal move was grasping at straws trying to get liquid out of a rock. That Rangers team was gased, tired and honestly, it’s best was way behind them.

Kane and Tarasenko are both still superstar talents. Yeah, it’s been an off year. But you’re talking about 2 guys who scored 92 and 82 points last season. Staal was far from his best when he got here; very far. That’s why he was so cheap. Kane was so cheap because he held all the cards on where he wanted to go.

Oh, definitely. It just make me think of that move is all. Tarasenko hasn't looked great, it's still been the worst offensive season of his career, but I'm not too worried about it. While I wouldn't say I'm shocked necessarily, I still can't believe we were able to get both. 

• Believe 1