• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Patrick Kane From Blackhawks for 2023 Conditional 2nd Round Pick and a 4th Round Pick

Phil

On 3/1/2023 at 9:24 AM, Dunny said:

Just like Staple said.. we've collected instead of assembling.

There's a reason guys like Jeannot went for what they went for  and it's what we tried to get with Blais. Big boys that can move up and down lineup, and provide different looks/dynamics.

We now have one dynamic. Very Toronto Maple Leafs.

Let's see how it plays out. It'll be entertaining either way.

Yup. I feel like the playoffs routinely prove that will is often > skill because the game is fundamentally different between the regular and post seasons. If refs called games in the playoffs like they did during the regular season, I'd buy the argument that skill trumps will because you'll be on the PP a ton. But we both know that's not what happens.

Like you said, we'll see how it plays out.

• Believe 1

132 points in 136 playoff games, 3x cup winner, 1x Conn Smythe, cup clinching goals scored from no angle by throwing the puck on let...Kane knows how to win in the playoffs. Let's not get cray.

Let's not confuse game 1 on a Thursday night in March vs Ottawa with what will happen in April/May/June.

• JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not denying the accolades. I do have concerns over the structure of the team. They've quadrupled down on skill. We'll see if it works.

Im not saying I disagree.

But we just watched a team outskill everyone to a Cup win last June.

Its not like we have no players with any grit. Our 4th line can end up being an annoying, pesky, defensively sound line. The Kid Line, for the most part, isn’t much of a flash and dash line so much as a trio that gets pucks in and cycles well.

Our Top-6 is based solely off skill. But it’s all guys who have shown that they can get red-fuckin-hot come playoff time.

• Bullseye 2

If Kreider layed off the estrogen, the entire dynamic of the top 6 would change. Trouba could stand to defend another player besides himself, once in awhile.

Tro, while tiny, is a prick. Laf is a prick. Goody is goody.

• LMFAO 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. I feel like the playoffs routinely prove that will is often > skill because the game is fundamentally different between the regular and post seasons. If refs called games in the playoffs like they did during the regular season, I'd buy the argument that skill trumps will because you'll be on the PP a ton. But we both know that's not what happens.

Like you said, we'll see how it plays out.

The best is when a player has both traits. Tarasenko and Kane have both. I think Zibanejad and Chytil showed to have both last year. Not sure about the rest of the team.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

If Kreider layed off the estrogen, the entire dynamic of the top 6 would change. Trouba could stand to defend another player besides himself, once in awhile.

Tro, while tiny, is a prick. Laf is a prick. Goody is goody.

You owe me a soda!!!!  LOL 

Just spilled it all over my desk!!!

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The best is when a player has both traits. Tarasenko and Kane have both. I think Zibanejad and Chytil showed to have both last year. Not sure about the rest of the team.

Agreed, but they probably still lack a little muscle relative to some of the other Eastern clubs — namely Tampa and Boston. I'm not down on them at all. They're the deepest offensive team I've seen since Brassard was their third line center.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed, but they probably still lack a little muscle relative to some of the other Eastern clubs — namely Tampa and Boston. I'm not down on them at all. They're the deepest offensive team I've seen since Brassard was their third line center.

Hey Phil, when was the last time we had a 4th line that was as legit as this one?  I mean, when Motte is out there, he's pretty good mixing with Goody and Vesey.  Last night they looked really into it until he took that forearm to the skull!  But I thought they had some good chemistry that 3 some

Last nights game definitely shouldn't be too much of an indicator whether our high skill orientation will fail...imagine when kane clicks in like tarasenko has...and watching his post game i have alot of confidence he will.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That Pouliot - Brassard - Zucc 3rd line was 🔥

Pouliot would be in the obscure Rangers thread if it weren't for the chemistry of that line. They were so much fun to watch. Fuck man. I love the 2013-14 Rangers so much. 

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1

6 hours ago, Phil said:

The rest of the conference went with beef at the deadline.  Greenway would have been a great addition,  especially considering the price paid. They really need a player that can play big in the top 9. Trocheck is doing an OK job at it, but if he is matched up with the likes of some of these huge guys, he's not going to make much noise 

Maybe Kreider flips a switch and becomes the goalie smasher he was in 14. 

No matter what, this is going to be really fun to watch this collection of forwards.  If they weren't going to add grit that can play, I wanted to go all in on skill. Atleast they went in a direction and didn't do the little moves like some wanted.

Had they went all in and spent to the cap ceiling last year, it may have been a different outcome.  Adding Brassard and Kessel for nothing would have been huge for the depth that was missing. Instead of sitting Kakko for Hunt, we probably could have seen Kessel,  whom is playing just fine with LV now. I think they wound up leaving like 4 million in cap space on the table last year. 

Not this year! Holy fuck. Balls deep  

15 minutes ago, Butcher Icebone said:

Jagr, Gaborik, Nash, Panarin, and now Kane

These star names have done jack shit to bring anything home. Ever. 

When will this organization learn.

We got Jaromir Jagr at 50% of his salary for Anson Carter.

We signed Marian Gaborik who put up 2 seasons of 40+ goals.

We wound up acquiring Rick Nash for a package of dog shit, hoping he would be the final piece to the puzzle, and he wound up having a successful 6 seasons here.

We signed Artemi Panarin who has since developed into one of the Top LW in the sport.

We acquired Patrick Kane, at 25% of his cap hit, for a 4th Round pick and a conditional pick based on playoff advancement.

I know people like to look at it as “THEY HAVEN’T WON US THE BIG ONE!” And that’s fine.

But ask yourself this. Looking at in hindsight, do you NOT make any single one of those transactions? Because both in real time and hindsight, the answer to me is fairly obvious.

We are a big market team. We attract stars and stars are attracted to us. It’s the way it’s been and always will be.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 hours ago, Butcher Icebone said:

I can’t say I agree with the analysis, but don’t let the naysayers get you down. Your opinion is welcome. 
I’ll just ask. As a guy like me who said that we didn’t need Kane, I’m not in the pro camp. However, being how little they gave up for him, how could we have said no? We are making the playoffs. Guys like Kane will help when that comes. I’m not sure what the issue is. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Butcher Icebone said:

You can add Guy LaFleur and Marcel Dionne to that list as well 

2 hours ago, CSNY1 said:

You can add Guy LaFleur and Marcel Dionne to that list as well 

What????

Guy LaFleur was 37 and retired for years when he came to the Rangers. Marcel Dionne was clearly done and 37 when he came here.

The oldest one on that list to join the Rangers is Kane, who at 34 is coming off a near-100 point season on a dumpster fire of a hockey team. The next oldest was Jagr, who came in at 32 and within a year broke every single franchise season record known to man.

Gaborik, Nash and Panarin all came here at age 27/28, and 2 of those guys put up 40+ goal seasons, both leading the Rangers to 1st place finishes in the East, one leading them to a Presidents Trophy one year and a Stanley Cup Final the year prior. And Panarin came in and within a year was an MVP finalist and has since cemented himself as a Top-3 or so LW in the sport.

Listen, I know the old time train of thought is that the Rangers throw money at these stars who are has-beens. But they really don’t do it anymore. Maybe you can make the argument about MSL. But even he was coming off an Art Ross Trophy winning season. Maybe Eric Staal, but he’s not in the same stratosphere as some of the names mentioned. And the Rangers gave up peanuts to get him, so no harm, no foul.

This stigma is not something that will be lost overnight. Or maybe ever, with some of the older generation of the fanbase. But to lump guys in the prime of their careers, like Panarin or Gaborik or Nash in with the likes of guys like Guy LaFleur is just so wildly inaccurate IMO. 

• Like 1

The real question come early May is going to be whether the Rangers are getting pushed around on the ice.  Teams don't win cups getting pushed around on the ice no matter how pretty the passing is. 

Eventually they run into a team that has real skills and can push them around and the parade comes to a screeching halt.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The real question come early May is going to be whether the Rangers are getting pushed around on the ice.  Teams don't win cups getting pushed around on the ice no matter how pretty the passing is. 

Eventually they run into a team that has real skills and can push them around and the parade comes to a screeching halt.

With the way this team has been playing lately, we’re not gonna get to see hockey in May. 

44 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Yup, and that's my worry still, especially when you look at the teams they're likely to have to get through to get there, which is likely some combination of NJD, CAR, and BOS. The Devil's don't scare me, physically, but the Canes and Bruins are likely to dominate them, physically.