• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Patrick Kane From Blackhawks for 2023 Conditional 2nd Round Pick and a 4th Round Pick

Phil

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

That was my thought. I don’t expect/care as much for sick snipes against lesser teams. I expect him to be the type of player where the bigger the game the bigger impact he has on it. 

I think the thought process was that he was decaying on a bad Chicago team due to no game importance on a team destined to nowhere. Honestly. I see that extra gear/will in Vlad. I’m not seeing it yet in Kane. 

guess we'll have to see in a few weeks.  On paper his numbers look good but he has been totally non-impactful since coming here.  He's softer than bread

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Keirik said:

It’s been a problem with us all season but more noticeable now with the increased talent level after the trade deadline. Rangers are sometimes falling way too in love with the cycle. They rarely just get pucks to the net. It’s always to cycle and cycle until you have a gimme goal. That won’t work every team. There needs to be a balance.

The cycle, cycle, cycle thing really breaks down against a defense that is good at creating turnovers. 

7 hours ago, CCCP said:

guess we'll have to see in a few weeks.  On paper his numbers look good but he has been totally non-impactful since coming here.  He's softer than bread

I agree, his numbers don't equate to what I see. He's horrible battling for pucks along the boards, he floats around the ice waiting for the puck to get to him, he's terrible in the D-zone, and the only time he skates is when the puck is on his stick. I don't want him back next year, but I hope he has one more playoff gear left.

2 hours ago, leetchy2 said:

I agree, his numbers don't equate to what I see. He's horrible battling for pucks along the boards, he floats around the ice waiting for the puck to get to him, he's terrible in the D-zone, and the only time he skates is when the puck is on his stick. I don't want him back next year, but I hope he has one more playoff gear left.

Agreed, plus he's been playing hurt. It's why I would rather have Tarasenko back. He's younger and a bit more what this team needs. Kane has not been that good. Two of his goals are total flukes too. Give him credit for actually putting the puck on net, but he hasn't done too much to excite you.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agreed, plus he's been playing hurt. It's why I would rather have Tarasenko back. He's younger and a bit more what this team needs. Kane has not been that good. Two of his goals are total flukes too. Give him credit for actually putting the puck on net, but he hasn't done too much to excite you.

They can't afford tarasenko. 

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The age old tale of the NYR. Bring in the marquee name after their relevancy....

Hope he can bring something worthwhile against a dynamite NJ team .....

I'm more excited when Chytil is on the ice than Kane.

well clearly Chytil is the better player 

• The Chyt! 1
  • Applause 1

• 1 month later...

What a waste. Probably should have tried to get Meirer for a little bit more in cost as a rental.

That guy was a pain in the ass to play against. A little over rated as far as a scorer goes, but the guy is hard nosed and somewhat smart as far as not taking dumb penalties. 

Of course Domi would have been a good fit too. 

I can't get over how disappointing Kane was here. He looked poised to make teams notice him in Chicago after the Rangers got Tarasenko. He was flying and electric for a good week before the trade talk got serious. WTF happened? 

It's time to start a RW wanted thread, to kinda go over free agent options or trade scenarios. 

• Keeps it 100 1

The Tarasenko move should have been the only move at the deadline. I get that "if a guy like Kane is available for the price he's available at, you have to go for it," but that proved to be a terrible take. I really think Tarasenko was all we needed (and Mikkola was a nice bonus) and Kane was superfluous and a move made just to say you made the move, not because it made the team better. 

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

39 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What a waste. Probably should have tried to get Meirer for a little bit more in cost as a rental.

That guy was a pain in the ass to play against. A little over rated as far as a scorer goes, but the guy is hard nosed and somewhat smart as far as not taking dumb penalties. 

Meier put up 2-2-4 in 11 playoff games. He cost a first, a conditional first, and multiple prospects. 

Kane put up 1-5-6 in 7 playoff games. He cost a 2nd and a 4th. 

Meier is also an RFA we can’t afford to re-sign. 

• Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, phillyb said:

The Tarasenko move should have been the only move at the deadline. I get that "if a guy like Kane is available for the price he's available at, you have to go for it," but that proved to be a terrible take. I really think Tarasenko was all we needed (and Mikkola was a nice bonus) and Kane was superfluous and a move made just to say you made the move, not because it made the team better. 

Still needed another RW, or a 4C so they could slide the expensive Goodrow up to a mid 6 role, which would have worked better than dead ass Kane. Getting a  guy that could do both and slot up and down the lineup without having that expectancy of needing to get on the PP and top minutes if he wasn't playing well. 

Kane stunk and they had no choice but to keep marching his reputation out there. 

And another thing: Any synergy that was promised with Panarin was a myth. These guys haven't played together in 6 fucking years. Fuck outta here. 

Hindsight is 20/20 though, I was not spouting these things at the deadline. 

• Keeps it 100 2

28 minutes ago, phillyb said:

This is where I’m at too. I honestly think Kane screwed things up. It was too big a name when all they needed was a complimentary guy at RW. The reality though was that the cost for a complimentary guy was probs ly equal to what it cost for Kane so it is what it is. 

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Meier put up 2-2-4 in 11 playoff games. He cost a first, a conditional first, and multiple prospects. 

Kane put up 1-5-6 in 7 playoff games. He cost a 2nd and a 4th. 

Meier is also an RFA we can’t afford to re-sign. 

Meirers team advanced and he had crazy amounts of scoring chances while also taking Shesterkin off his game and playing physical playoff hockey.  He plays the style of game the Rangers desperately need. 

The Devils traded their late 1st rounder and a conditional 1st next year if they reach the conference finals this year (or next as well,  which is weird, because he has to sign). The Devil's also got a bunch of players and SJ retained 50%..

I'd have paid that or Lafrenière for that rental. Again. The guy plays the style that is missing from this lineup.  He's not the best. He's not going to keep his regular season goal pace, but he's going to be a key player. 

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meirers team advanced and he had crazy amounts of scoring chances while also taking Shesterkin off his game and playing physical playoff hockey.  He plays the style of game the Rangers desperately need. 

The Devils traded their late 1st rounder and a conditional 1st next year if they reach the conference finals this year (or next as well,  which is weird, because he has to sign). The Devil's also got a bunch of players and SJ retained 50%..

I'd have paid that or Lafrenière for that rental. Again. The guy plays the style that is missing from this lineup.  He's not the best. He's not going to keep his regular season goal pace, but he's going to be a key player. 

Meier put up 0 points against us. He fell on Shesterkin once and got destroyed by Trouba once. Shesty had a 1.96 GAA with a .931 save % in the series. 

he was as much of a factor in advancing as I was. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Meier put up 0 points against us. He fell on Shesterkin once and got destroyed by Trouba once. Shesty had a 1.96 GAA with a .931 save % in the series. 

he was as much of a factor in advancing as I was. 

Right. Working the goalie, getting him off his game and crashing the net contributes nothing to playoff success.

Youre right. Just look at the Rangers with Kane, Panarin and Zibanejad.  They outscored Meirer too. They were so productive in the Rangers victo.  uh oh. Nevermind. That didn't happen. The faster net crashing team won. Absolutely man handled them. 

How can you NOT see the guy had a huge impact in that series? I believe he had something crazy like 27 SOG and had Shesterkin off his game just a bit (Shesterkin went after him on 2 occasions, very unlike him)  Made it very uncomfortable for him. 

Players like that are staples for playoff success. Even if they aren't putting up points. It's what is missing from this teams top 6.  Guys that can set the pace and energy level,  again , without putting up points. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Right. Working the goalie, getting him off his game and crashing the net contributes nothing to playoff success.

Youre right. Just look at the Rangers with Kane, Panarin and Zibanejad.  They outscored Meirer too. They were so productive in the Rangers victo.  uh oh. Nevermind. That didn't happen. The faster net crashing team won. Absolutely man handled them. 

How can you NOT see the guy had a huge impact in that series? I believe he had something crazy like 27 SOG and had Shesterkin off his game just a bit (Shesterkin went after him on 2 occasions, very unlike him)  Made it very uncomfortable for him. 

Players like that are staples for playoff success. Even if they aren't putting up points. It's what is missing from this teams top 6.  Guys that can set the pace and energy level,  again , without putting up points. 

I can easily say he wasn’t some huge factor. 

0 points. None. Nada. That’s some serious word gymnastics you’re going on to make it sound like he was some serious factor. He was brought it to put up points. The Devils didn’t beat the Rangers because of Timo Meier. Ruff is why. Jack Hughes is why. Erik Haula is why. Palat is why. Hell, Schmid is a huge why. The Rangers beating themselves is why. Timo, not so much. 

Again, Igor Shesterkin had a 1.96 with .931 save %. That includes stopping every one of Times shots. Seemed pretty comfortable most of the time when facing Timo. And yes, Shesty took a penalty once. That doesn’t mean he was floundering around all series being affected by a guy that couldn’t even generate an assist and was a -3 with 20 penalty minutes all series. 

8 hours ago, phillyb said:

And another thing: Any synergy that was promised with Panarin was a myth. These guys haven't played together in 6 fucking years. Fuck outta here. 

Hindsight is 20/20 though, I was not spouting these things at the deadline. 

GG didn't give it a chance, yet another blunder. And Kane was hurt. 

I don't understand why people are complaining about this acquisition, cost nothing.

We give up the farm for Tarasenko who got really quiet really quickly. But everybody wants to resign him.

I don't get it, to be honest. I don't think any of them deserve to be resigned, but there's only one who we can realistically afford with some LTIR gymnastics. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

We give up the farm for Tarasenko who got really quiet really quickly. But everybody wants to resign him.

The farm? A 1st round pick, a 4th round pick, a useless prospect and a roster player we didn't need. And we got Mikkola too. Not even close to giving up the farm lol, and it was a great trade.

I agree on Kane tho. That was a trade we just had to make.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

The farm? A 1st round pick, a 4th round pick, a useless prospect and a roster player we didn't need. And we got Mikkola too. Not even close to giving up the farm lol, and it was a great trade.

I agree on Kane tho. That was a trade we just had to make.

I meant compared to Kane. 

Yea, after they got Tank, Kane wasn't on anybody's radar until he pushed it. This was a bonus move. 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yes, they advanced only to get eliminated in 5 games by the Hurricanes, while Meier continued to do jack shit. They definitely didn’t advance because of Meier.

If we traded for him and he put up the numbers he did here, you, me and everyone else would be tearing this guy apart as a playoff no show akin to Rick Nash. 

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

24 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Yes, they advanced only to get eliminated in 5 games by the Hurricanes, while Meier continued to do jack shit. They definitely didn’t advance because of Meier.

If we traded for him and he put up the numbers he did here, you, me and everyone else would be tearing this guy apart as a playoff no show akin to Rick Nash. 

Agreed 😂

And then half the people would be saying that he created offense and nobody finished, and the other half would be saying only production matters. 🙄

• Bullseye 1