• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Patrick Kane From Blackhawks for 2023 Conditional 2nd Round Pick and a 4th Round Pick

Phil

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't understand why people are complaining about this acquisition, cost nothing.

We give up the farm for Tarasenko who got really quiet really quickly. But everybody wants to resign him.

I don't get it, to be honest. I don't think any of them deserve to be resigned, but there's only one who we can realistically afford with some LTIR gymnastics. 

It cost nothing if you are just looking at the trade on paper. However it changed the dynamic of the team. The narrative became all about Kane as opposed to the team who turned their season around. I feel like it ruined the team dynamic. Too many cooks in the kitchen. He wasnt needed and was forced into the lineup because of his past history instead of his current status which was....unhealthy. The goal should've been to ice a winner not an all star team. All of the sudden Jimmy Vesey who was playing above his head was on the 4th line. It just didn't make sense to make this move no matter the cost.

• Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

It cost nothing if you are just looking at the trade on paper. However it changed the dynamic of the team. The narrative became all about Kane as opposed to the team who turned their season around. I feel like it ruined the team dynamic. Too many cooks in the kitchen. He wasnt needed and was forced into the lineup because of his past history instead of his current status which was....unhealthy. The goal should've been to ice a winner not an all star team. All of the sudden Jimmy Vesey who was playing above his head was on the 4th line. It just didn't make sense to make this move no matter the cost.

That's all hindsight. 

48 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The kids line was playing dynamic hockey before the trades and got de-prioritized again and lost their edge afterwards.

People have this idea that GG was the problem but I think Drury was much more problematic last season.

I guess the only difference is we could’ve shopped Meier’s RFA rights at the draft to recoup some value, but we still would’ve ended up spending more to acquire him for less output compared to Kane. We also would be in an awful position to get anything for his rights given our cap situation. 

Edited by Cash or Czech

4 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The problem with the Kane trade was the under estimation of the severity of his injury.

If Kane was healthier the Rangers are more than likely still playing.

Kane wasn’t the reason we were eliminated and his injury is not the reason the boys are golfing right now. It was the other 17 skaters

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

I can easily say he wasn’t some huge factor. 

0 points. None. Nada. That’s some serious word gymnastics you’re going on to make it sound like he was some serious factor. He was brought it to put up points. The Devils didn’t beat the Rangers because of Timo Meier. Ruff is why. Jack Hughes is why. Erik Haula is why. Palat is why. Hell, Schmid is a huge why. The Rangers beating themselves is why. Timo, not so much. 

Again, Igor Shesterkin had a 1.96 with .931 save %. That includes stopping every one of Times shots. Seemed pretty comfortable most of the time when facing Timo. And yes, Shesty took a penalty once. That doesn’t mean he was floundering around all series being affected by a guy that couldn’t even generate an assist and was a -3 with 20 penalty minutes all series. 

Well if points is all that matters Panarin was a god last post season with 16 points in 20 games. 

Meirer constantly steamrolling Shesterkin certainly affected his mindset. Shesterkin was constantly concerned with trying to feel who was going to make contact with him on any given opportunity.

Of all people, Miller finally did something in game 7 about the goalie running,  when he over reacted to a Devil making contact with Shesterkin when he ventured out to play the puck.   (Miller) Taking a stupid penalty to face wash a guy down on the ice against the boards. 

If you dont think the net crashing helped the Devils set the tone and atmosphere of the game, I don't think we can honestly talk about the game of hockey.  It's pretty much what turned the tide and made the Rangers look foolish by not adapting or having an answer to, in the form of doing it right back. Had anyone done anything similar to Schmid,  the outcome is very likely different.  

Shesterkin took one penalty for punching Meirer in his crease. In another game he also wandered out to a scuffle in back of the net to shove him from behind. I don't remember if had gotten a penalty for it, but it was no doubt due to his frustration with him. 

Where did I say Meirer had him floundering? I didn't.  I said he may have had him off his game a little bit.  Wandering out if the crease to go after a guy, kinda wins my point. Meirer played a role that didn't show up on the scoresheet.  The Rangers severely lack players that you can say the same for. ITheyre a bunch of guys, that if they aren't scoring, are pretty much not doing anything extra to contribute to a productive product on the ice. Meirer couldn't score, but got under the Rangers skin. Not sure how you don't understand that this is a contribution. 

Edited by The Dude

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Kane wasn’t the reason we were eliminated and his injury is not the reason the boys are golfing right now. It was the other 17 skaters

Not blaming Kane.   A healthy version of Kane probably would've been enough for them to win games 3 or 4.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

How can you say with a straight face that Igor’s performance was inhibited by Meier when Shesterkin put up his best postseason stats of the three years he’s been there?

If he played like he did in round 1 against the Penguins last year, sure you’d have a point. But he locked shit down this season. .931 save percentage. 1.96 GAA. He was easily our MVP and the only player we don’t have a problem with this postseason. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't understand why people are complaining about this acquisition, cost nothing.

We give up the farm for Tarasenko who got really quiet really quickly. But everybody wants to resign him.

I don't get it, to be honest. I don't think any of them deserve to be resigned, but there's only one who we can realistically afford with some LTIR gymnastics. 

I'm complaining because he was a non factor and was continually marched out there. Him being hurt isn't an excuse.  They shouldn't have gotten him if he was going to come up lame. He sure looked fine days before the Rangers were said to be in on him again. 

I believe Zibanejad had said the team was lethargic because they were waiting for someone else to do something big. Which, to me sounds like they were expecting Kane to be Kane and he wasn’t.  At all. 

The build up to the acquisition, the playing of a short roster, the other options passed over, and the elimination at the hands of a nobody rookie goalie, because the offense was pathetic due to not playing like a playoff style worthy group is annoying.

There were better options that fit team needs, that may have been difference makers against the Devils. They should still be playing. 

Kane deserves a chunk of the blame. Not all of it. Agree how Tarasenko kinda faded quickly. He scored a big goal and kinda disappeared here and there after. I feel like his demeanor did a 180 sometime after game 2. He went from excited leader type in post game, to no answers to I'm testing free agency.  

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Yes, they advanced only to get eliminated in 5 games by the Hurricanes, while Meier continued to do jack shit. They definitely didn’t advance because of Meier.

If we traded for him and he put up the numbers he did here, you, me and everyone else would be tearing this guy apart as a playoff no show akin to Rick Nash. 

I think the Canes showed that the Devils goalies were extremely beatable. Somehow the Rangers folded in fear of a rookie goalie. 

I wouldn't say the Devils lost because of Meirer. I'd say he helped drive offense but it wasn't enough due to goalie collapse. 

But yeah. Point taken. They got their asses handed to them against the Canes. He didn't really do much offensively, nor really play the way he did against the Rangers .

I'd probably say he played good, drove offense,  had many chances and did more than most of his teammates, despite what the scoresheet says. I'm saying that about Panarin,  so (shrug). 

The Nash comparison is odd. He did very little physical play, didn't really get many chances,  yet was awesome defensively. 

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kane didn’t help, but he wasn’t why they lost either. No single player or single move would have made a difference. That was not a “single player away from being good” performance by the Rangers.

angry looney tunes GIF

I disagree. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Meh. Jimmy Vesey playing on the 4th line made all the sense in the world.

Everything else you said I agree with.

But, had they gotten a hard nosed, good skating RW or C, they would be built more like a team ready for the playoffs. I think they would have had a different mindset and would atleast be playing a healthy player. 

26 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm complaining because he was a non factor and was continually marched out there. Him being hurt isn't an excuse.  They shouldn't have gotten him if he was going to come up lame. He sure looked fine days before the Rangers were said to be in on him again. 

I believe Zibanejad had said the team was lethargic because they were waiting for someone else to do something big. Which, to me sounds like they were expecting Kane to be Kane and he wasn’t.  At all. 

The build up to the acquisition, the playing of a short roster, the other options passed over, and the elimination at the hands of a nobody rookie goalie, because the offense was pathetic due to not playing like a playoff style worthy group is annoying.

There were better options that fit team needs, that may have been difference makers against the Devils. They should still be playing. 

Kane deserves a chunk of the blame. Not all of it. Agree how Tarasenko kinda faded quickly. He scored a big goal and kinda disappeared here and there after. I feel like his demeanor did a 180 sometime after game 2. He went from excited leader type in post game, to no answers to I'm testing free agency.  

For what? GG controls his deployment, and if others were waiting for him to do something, that's on them, not him.

34 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

How can you say with a straight face that Igor’s performance was inhibited by Meier when Shesterkin put up his best postseason stats of the three years he’s been there?

If he played like he did in round 1 against the Penguins last year, sure you’d have a point. But he locked shit down this season. .931 save percentage. 1.96 GAA. He was easily our MVP and the only player we don’t have a problem with this postseason. 

Watch the goals against. Simple as that. He's very concerned with contact. Clear as day.

Maybe that gave him a charge? I know playing pissed helps a lot of people .

Who's saying Shesterkin is a problem?

I said Meirer was useful in getting under Shesterkins skin. Doing hockey things like crashing the net.  Being productive when not producing points.  Attributes the Rangers could have used instead of the zero effort we saw from Kane.

That dynamic type of player,  will usually be a successful post season player, because they bring more than just points.  I know, I know he brought none. 

I'd rather have Meirer in this playoff appearance rather than a hurt Kane. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The kids line was playing dynamic hockey before the trades and got de-prioritized again and lost their edge afterwards.

Remind me who controls that? Oh, right GG.

People have this idea that GG was the problem but I think Drury was much more problematic last season.

This is by far the hottest take yet. Drury's job is the get good players and it's GG's job to use what he's given. Drury succeeded and GG didn't.

You're now going to absurd lengths to absolve GG.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'd rather have Meirer in this playoff appearance rather than a hurt Kane. Sorry. 

That's just a point made in vacuum though. They couldn't give up what it took to get Meier and then let Meier walk, and they can't pay Meier.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

For what? GG controls his deployment, and if others were waiting for him to do something, that's on them, not him.

For pushing his way here, despite not being able to (or not wanting to) play at his best and knowing it. 

He looked charged up and ready to show teams he was good to go before the Rangers were known to be back in. He was flying and producing. Was revitalized.

Came here. Stunk.  

You don't force a trade to a cup contender, get your way, stink, then back off and be like.   "Nah, I've been hurt for 2 years and I'm just now going to take the time to get my shit fixed, so I can latch on to some other team next year "  Cause that's pretty much how it went. 

For pushing his way here, despite not being able to (or not wanting to) play at his best and knowing it. 

He looked charged up and ready to show teams he was good to go before the Rangers were known to be back in. He was flying and producing. Was revitalized.

Came here. Stunk.  

Yea, you're on a path here I just can't go down. You hate him because he wanted to take a shot at the Cup with one of his best friends and favorite line mates?

That's just petty, IMO.

You don't force a trade to a cup contender, get your way, stink, then back off and be like.   "Nah, I've been hurt for 2 years and I'm just now going to take the time to get my shit fixed, so I can latch on to some other team next year "  Cause that's pretty much how it went. 

You are making up this entire scenario and narrative in your mind, and then getting mad at real people for it.

I don't get it, but if it makes you feel better, do you, homie.

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's just a point made in vacuum though. They couldn't give up what it took to get Meier and then let Meier walk, and they can't pay Meier.

Why not? They could have traded his rights after the season. Oh no. Not another 1st rounder traded. LOL.  They do so well with those. 

They didn't make the trade. We can't hop in the DeLorean and go back to do it.

But I think a point can be made in that the Rangers really need that type of player. I'm pretty sure we agreed on what we're better options at the time, so I think we can agree that the Rangers have to figure out how to get something similar. 

Just now, The Dude said:

Why not? They could have traded his rights after the season. Oh no. Not another 1st rounder traded. LOL.  They do so well with those. 

They didn't make the trade. We can't hop in the DeLorean and go back to do it.

But I think a point can be made in that the Rangers really need that type of player. I'm pretty sure we agreed on what we're better options at the time, so I think we can agree that the Rangers have to figure out how to get something similar. 

I don't know why you look at the Meier trade any differently than Tank. They are the same type of player. Tank fizzled out. Meier went to a well coached team and still wasn't even as good as he was in San Jose and didn't produce in the playoffs. You're saying Kane stinks but he had more points in half the games.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea, you're on a path here I just can't go down. You hate him because he wanted to take a shot at the Cup with one of his best friends and favorite line mates?

That's just petty, IMO.

You are making up this entire scenario and narrative in your mind, and then getting mad at real people for it.

I don't get it, but if it makes you feel better, do you, homie.

YES. He pouted his way here in a pretty shitty way. Wasn't he in charge of his destiny,  as soon as he would tell Chicago he wanted out? Didn't he not say anything (that we know of) until after the Rangers got Tarasenko? He's pretty slimey here man. 

He wanted to play with his best friend? Then bow out of Chicago and get your surgery during this season and sign dirt cheap for your buddy. Or get your surgery LAST offseason,  so you're ready to be traded and useful in trade this season. 

He wasted the Rangers time. 

What did I make up? Exit interview he said he's been dealing with this injury and will get it fixed this summer. He totally used it as an excuse.  People have been saying he's been hurt since last season  with this injury.  

YES. He pouted his way here in a pretty shitty way. Wasn't he in charge of his destiny,  as soon as he would tell Chicago he wanted out? Didn't he not say anything (that we know of) until after the Rangers got Tarasenko? He's pretty slimey here man. 

He wanted to play with his best friend? Then bow out of Chicago and get your surgery during this season and sign dirt cheap for your buddy. Or get your surgery LAST offseason,  so you're ready to be traded and useful in trade this season. 

He wasted the Rangers time. 

What did I make up? Exit interview he said he's been dealing with this injury and will get it fixed this summer. He totally used it as an excuse.  People have been saying he's been hurt since last season  with this injury.  

Like I said, seems petty and mostly made up in your head, but if that's your POV it's your POV. I can't argue what's going on in your mind.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know why you look at the Meier trade any differently than Tank. They are the same type of player. Tank fizzled out. Meier went to a well coached team and still wasn't even as good as he was in San Jose and didn't produce in the playoffs. You're saying Kane stinks but he had more points in half the games.

Again with the points.  Kan vwas invisible. Meirer was extremely noticeable and drew attention.  That's way more valuable than Kanes 1 goal and 5 assists in his mind numbing bumbling around put there. 

You're almost right with Tarasenko.  I see them as similar, but just different. You won't see Tarasenko barreling over goalies or being chippy. He certainly does go to the dirty areas of the ice though. 

I saw Meier as the player Chris Kreider was back in 14. Not overly productive on the scoresheet,  but made a huge difference in what the other team did to combat what he was doing infront of their net. I'll take any net crashers over what Kane provided on the scoresheet as a Ranger. He was useless.