• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Patrick Kane From Blackhawks for 2023 Conditional 2nd Round Pick and a 4th Round Pick

Phil

Hell yeah!!  I'm in on Kane.

We need RW's and he's going to be a so much better after this hip work.  I'll bet he has about 3 or 4 years left at elite status after he's healthy. 

Under a new coach, a new system, and with some slight roster tweaking...Kane has a huge season next year....where's the fucking "Balsy thread"?  I'll reserve my Kane prediction for when it comes out.

G-Man.... @LindG1000...don'tcha be stealin' my thunder!  LOL

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hell yeah!!  I'm in on Kane.

We need RW's and he's going to be a so much better after this hip work.  I'll bet he has about 3 or 4 years left at elite status after he's healthy. 

Under a new coach, a new system, and with some slight roster tweaking...Kane has a huge season next year....where's the fucking "Balsy thread"?  I'll reserve my Kane prediction for when it comes out.

G-Man.... @LindG1000...don'tcha be stealin' my thunder!  LOL

You’re trying out new prescription drugs? 

• LMFAO 2

Jovanovski , Backstrom and Kesler had resurfaces done . Minimum of 6 months for the femoral neck to heal , a year to completely heal . He's done-ola for next season and maybe after . Sure he may come out and play , not sure how good . Andy Murray had the same thing done as well as Isaiah Thomas . Same result , I don't think Thomas returned and I watched Murray's return which he hasn't been to form. I'm bilateral , best thing I ever did.

Edited by knedragon

1 minute ago, knedragon said:

Jovanovski , Backstrom and Kesler had resurfaces done . Minimum of 6 months for the femoral neck to heal , a year to completely heal . He's done-ola for next season and maybe after . Sure he may come out and play , not sure how good . Andy Murray had the same thing done as well as Isaiah Thomas . Same result , I don't thing Thomas returned and I watched Murray's return which he hasn't been to form. I'm bilateral , best thing I ever did.

Did you clip and paste this post from multiple newspapers?

2 hours ago, knedragon said:

Jovanovski , Backstrom and Kesler had resurfaces done . Minimum of 6 months for the femoral neck to heal , a year to completely heal . He's done-ola for next season and maybe after . Sure he may come out and play , not sure how good . Andy Murray had the same thing done as well as Isaiah Thomas . Same result , I don't think Thomas returned and I watched Murray's return which he hasn't been to form. I'm bilateral , best thing I ever did.

Backstrom return to play the next season after his resurfacing.

I had a resurfacing done and I was cleared to get back on the ice in 6 months. That recovery time for a pro athlete will probably be much quicker. The technology they have now and the parts are much better than when Isaiah Thomas and Andy Murray had their procedures. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35377168/how-nicklas-backstrom-accelerating-return-ice-hip-surgery

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I had a resurfacing done and I was cleared to get back on the ice in 6 months. That recovery time for a pro athlete will probably be much quicker. The technology they have now and the parts are much better than when Isaiah Thomas and Andy Murray had their procedures. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35377168/how-nicklas-backstrom-accelerating-return-ice-hip-surgery

I'm no doctor. It's entirely possible Kane will come back from this, but I'd be wary as all hell about bringing back a 35+ player who just underwent the same surgery that ended two peer NHL players' careers, let alone expecting him to be half the player he is now.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm no doctor. It's entirely possible Kane will come back from this, but I'd be wary as all hell about bringing back a 35+ player who just underwent the same surgery that ended two peer NHL players' careers, let alone expecting him to be half the player he is now.

That’s why you bring him in on a league minimum deal PHIL! 

I don't see him having any interest in taking a one year league min. deal when his agent stated he wants to play for a long time. There's no long time opportunity here, there will never be a reasonable amount of long term cap space. Some other team, maybe his home town could very well offer him that right out of the box. It's a pass for me.  

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah,

He came back but was no where near the level he once was. We'll see what happens in camp this year. IIRC Murray has a BHR setup.Not sure what's changed between BHR and Biomet prothesis(I'm Gross Biomet both sides )? Prichett is using ceramics,too early to tell. I hope Kane comes back and is half as good as he was. Time will tell.

Edited by knedragon

You gotta think he isn't thrilled with his performance here and he may be shy to want to come back here at the ire of this fanbase. Although having him out on IR for half the year may allow him a one year contract here at a reasonable rate. I'm personally not interested in seeing it happen but with the $$ situation, it could work out well to fill a RW spot on this roster that is void of much talent at that position.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

3 hours ago, jsrangers said:

I don't see him having any interest in taking a one year league min. deal when his agent stated he wants to play for a long time. There's no long time opportunity here, there will never be a reasonable amount of long term cap space. Some other team, maybe his home town could very well offer him that right out of the box. It's a pass for me.  

Yeah that wants to play for a long time is the sales pitch for whoever will give him a long term contract. Its going to be sold as "he only wants to play for one more team for one more contract" type of thing.

*Speculating obviously. I have not heard him or his agent say this.  I am not claiming this to be a fact, nor am I saying that this is actual dialog that has taken place. This is a fictional quote of how I imagine the Kane situation happening.  Based on zero facts. This is not fact. This may not happen. This is a guess based on how I feel his next contract and the rest of his career could potentially wind up. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah that wants to play for a long time is the sales pitch for whoever will give him a long term contract. Its going to be sold as "he only wants to play for one more team for one more contract" type of thing.

*Speculating obviously. I have not heard him or his agent say this.  I am not claiming this to be a fact, nor am I saying that this is actual dialog that has taken place. This is a fictional quote of how I imagine the Kane situation happening.  Based on zero facts. This is not fact. This may not happen. This is a guess based on how I feel his next contract and the rest of his career could potentially wind up. 

I'm glad your legal team developed some boilerplate language to add to your content. It's a long overdue. 

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

Yeah, the league min comment was in jest to Sid's suggestion he take a league min comment which he too wasn't serious about. But my point (opinion) remains the same he's not taking peanuts or looking for a I'll show you one year deal at this stage of his career at a bargain basement price.  I think other teams will offer him a 3-4 year deal at money we can't come close to, including his hometown.

Eh, whatever though.

Edited by jsrangers

43 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Yeah, the league min comment was in jest to Sid's suggestion he take a league min comment which he too wasn't serious about. But my point (opinion) remains the same he's not taking peanuts or looking for a I'll show you one year deal at this stage of his career at a bargain basement price.  I think other teams will offer him a 3-4 year deal at money we can't come close to, including his hometown.

Eh, whatever though.

He really might not have a choice if he wants to go to a competitive team in the world of a flat cap.

I also don't think anyone should assume that he wants to go home, at this point in his life Chicago is his home. Why would you want to go back to Buffalo? 

Star athletes think they are the missing piece to put a team over the top.  Kane might think he goes to Buffalo, teams with Tage Thompson and Thompson scores 80 goals propelling the Sabres to the playoffs.  Kane obviously thought he was the missing piece to put the Rangers over the top even though he was playing at maybe 60%. 

I'll just never understand how he could be cleared to play or pass a physical for a trade. 

Didn't the Mers void a contract as did SF because Correa had an ankle injury a few ago that has completely healed? Yet a guy with an obvious hip issue, that everyone knows of,  can not only keep playing,  but get traded to another team. 

Just strange. With these leagues alleged history of looking past health issues like concussions and drug abuse, players health still isn't a priority. Or so I assume. 

Edited by The Dude

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'll just never understand how he could be cleared to play or pass a physical for a trade. 

Didn't the Mers void a contract as did SF because Correa had an ankle injury a few ago that has completely healed? Yet a guy with an obvious hip issue, that everyone knows of,  can not only keep playing,  but get traded to another team. 

Just strange. With these leagues alleged history of looking past health issues like concussions and drug abuse, players health still isn't a priority. Or so I assume. 

Because, it's just really painful. He was still putting up points, there's just no explosivity to your stride. You can still play with it, Backstrom played with it. 

It's something you can play with but it's something that can only be corrected by surgery, I'm sure the Rangers knew this. But again, it's not like he wasn't putting up points, he just wasn't putting up Patrick Kane prime points. If he was willing to play through the pain, he still better than half the league. And they didn't give up much to get him. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Because, it's just really painful. He was still putting up points, there's just no explosivity to your stride. You can still play with it, Backstrom played with it. 

It's something you can play with but it's something that can only be corrected by surgery, I'm sure the Rangers knew this. But again, it's not like he wasn't putting up points, he just wasn't putting up Patrick Kane prime points. If he was willing to play through the pain, he still better than half the league. And they didn't give up much to get him. 

Yeah true. In thinking about it, the NHL allows players to play with broken bones and other somewhat severe injuries. I guess as long as the player says he can go, they let them play. 

We typically hear that trades or contracts are made official after "pending physical". So with Kane,  I'll speculate that its probably like you said. They saw it, talked to him and he said he can go. The Rangers figured a half a Kane would still be a difference maker. My opinion is that they were wrong.  My opinion is that he was very ineffective. My opinion is that they would have been a better team without him, by either getting a different player or standing pat. 

But back to the base of what i was talking about.  To me. I find it odd that sports teams fluctuate with their willingness to look past injuries in certain situations.  They'll risk assets to aquire a hurt player in trade. They'll risk the players safety and health in playing them through injury, yet negotiate in bad faith in finding some past injury as a potential future problem.

The duality of sports management has always been a thing with these situations. I don't know why this Kane thing ticks me off. I guess its just the disappointment of how ineffective he was along with  the early exit of the Allstar cast of talent and skill from the playoffs. 

Gallant being Gallant and letting them all do their thing, got better results last year with a chucker and a 2 way forward who were willing to get dirty as their deadline additions. I think that formula should have been closely repeated. Tarasenko  was a solid move. Perfect. Fit one of those needs. Kane? The Kane they got and knew they were getting?  It's not just hindsight. We knew it wasn't a fit. 

I'm all over the place here I know. Point is (and i know its not groundbreaking), acquiring  Kane was a bad idea and the Rangers probably do better without him. 

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah true. In thinking about it, the NHL allows players to play with broken bones and other somewhat severe injuries. I guess as long as the player says he can go, they let them play. 

We typically hear that trades or contracts are made official after "pending physical". So with Kane,  I'll speculate that its probably like you said. They saw it, talked to him and he said he can go. The Rangers figured a half a Kane would still be a difference maker. My opinion is that they were wrong.  My opinion is that he was very ineffective. My opinion is that they would have been a better team without him, by either getting a different player or standing pat. 

But back to the base of what i was talking about.  To me. I find it odd that sports teams fluctuate with their willingness to look past injuries in certain situations.  They'll risk assets to aquire a hurt player in trade. They'll risk the players safety and health in playing them through injury, yet negotiate in bad faith in finding some past injury as a potential future problem.

The duality of sports management has always been a thing with these situations. I don't know why this Kane thing ticks me off. I guess its just the disappointment of how ineffective he was along with  the early exit of the Allstar cast of talent and skill from the playoffs. 

Gallant being Gallant and letting them all do their thing, got better results last year with a chucker and a 2 way forward who were willing to get dirty as their deadline additions. I think that formula should have been closely repeated. Tarasenko  was a solid move. Perfect. Fit one of those needs. Kane? The Kane they got and knew they were getting?  It's not just hindsight. We knew it wasn't a fit. 

I'm all over the place here I know. Point is (and i know its not groundbreaking), acquiring  Kane was a bad idea and the Rangers probably do better without him. 

I understand why you feel that way, but I just don't agree that they would have been better with somebody like Kakko in that role. Because that's what would have happened.

I keep asking for Goodrow on that Panarin line because he's exactly what they need, somebody who's going to hunt pucks in the corners, but also drag them into the fight and make sure they feel like they have somebody on the ice to stick up for them (them being Bread and Chytil).

That said, if you had Kane and Bread together, they would need a Kadri like C to compliment that. Maybe a Horvat. Not a Trocheck. 

My point is there's no point in saying that it was a failure, there were too many outside factors. Maybe Bread thought Kane could do things Kane just couldn't do with his injury, maybe they were looking for each other too much in the beginning, but the fact that they were kept together for 5 minutes didn't help anything.

Even when Kane was showing some vibe with Zib, it got taken apart. 

I don't think people understand how big a problem GG was here. I've made some long posts about it, and seemingly small things have huge cascading effects. You think changing line combinations or even swapping right wings is a small change, but it's actually a pretty big change for a team with no system. That means you're going to get a right wing on your line who might not be doing what the last right wing on your line was doing. That's why systems are important. Everybody needs to know what their responsibilities are on the ice at all times, and the Rangers just haven't had that for 2 years, which is why oftentimes they look confused and disjointed.

When you boil it down, GG really had two problems which alone might not have been such a big deal, but when you combine them they wound up being a very big deal. You want to coach who changes lines all the time, that's fine as long as there's a strong system in place to dictate players position. If you don't have a strong system, you better leave those lines together so that they can gel and develop chemistry and understand where everybody is going to be. It just so happens that pairs like Zib/CK and Bread/Strome had some really organic chemistry and they think the game the same way.

But they decided they would rather have Trocheck. And at the end of the season, I'm not sure they're a better team. The powerplay certainly wasn't better, and Trocheck had one point in the playoffs and was 47% in the dot. But that doesn't get talked about, even though it was widely speculated that he was a massive upgrade and would be a 75 point player with Panarin. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1