• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

28 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Faceoff results Game 3

Zib: 8-7

Strome: 5-9

Copp: 10-6

Rooney: 0-10

Chytil: 3-3

What a bad day for Rooney. It’s usually one of the only things he’s halfway good at.

Don’t forget - Zibanejad got the favorable matchups due to final change 

• TroCheckmark 1

I was at a wedding this weekend and watched G2 from the room, was offline most of yesterday, and watched G3 today outside the forum/group chat.

Folks, believe, or be gone. This Carolina team is very beatable and even if the Rangers don't get past them, they are hanging with them.

Fuck the noise, enjoy the games, it's fantastic watching this team right now. You can see them learning becoming a team shift by shift.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 2
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 4

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I was at a wedding this weekend and watched G2 from the room, was offline most of yesterday, and watched G3 today outside the forum/group chat.

Folks, believe, or be gone. This Carolina team is very beatable and even if the Rangers don't get past them, they are hanging with them.

Fuck the noise, enjoy the games, it's fantastic watching this team right now. You can see them learning becoming a team shift by shift.

I frustratingly believe, but I’m extra anxious because this team as we see it will not be the same team next year. We have a real good chance to win this series and I do not want to squander this opportunity at all. We have no idea what our team will look like next year. I want to see this team face Tampa for the right to play for a cup. They can’t blow this. Carolina is so beatable. 

• Like 2

Excluding EN, Canes have three goals in regulation against us in three games.  That's beatable, whether or not we take advantage of it.

Outside his big goal in Game 1, Aho has not been nearly as impressive as he was against us in the regular season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Excluding EN, Canes have three goals in regulation against us in three games.  That's beatable, whether or not we take advantage of it.

Outside his big goal in Game 1, Aho has not been nearly as impressive as he was against us in the regular season.

In all fairness...

Excluding EN, the Rangers also have three goals in regulation against the Canes in the three games. It's been low scoring defensive battle so far, quite a contrast to the first round with Pitts, or the other NHL playoff games for that matter.

If series continue this way, it does favor the Rangers, especially with Shesty in top of his form. They will need to get one win @Carolina to advance to round three of the playoff.

I believe that there's no quit in New York....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

A defensive series yes but you have to think at some point that the quality difference in the net will show up in the W/L column as I think it ended up doing in the Penguins series.

Time for Raanta to revert back to his norm.

I kind of agree, Rangers making a .920 goalie a .940 goalie. And still not one greasy goal from them almost all playoff. 

Listen, there already is a difference between the team we are now against Carolina and even the team we were at the end of the regular season against them. You can see growth. You can see structure. You can see the ability to adapt. All 4 regular season games, especially the 2 in Raleigh, they had numerous quality chances (many of which ended up in the net the first game). Then the 2 up here, after a few strong starts, Carolina settled in and relentlessly attacked us and broke Igor down.

But through 3 games, can we really remember Igor needing to stand on his head? He’s played incredible, but the defense in front of him has also helped him out and made his job easier. The outside fan will see 43 saves and instantly think: “Typical Rangers having Igor save him.” But if you watched the game, a lot of this was to the outside (not saying Carolina got 0 good looks, just very few). Through 3 games, Igor has been beat 4 times.

I won’t lie, going in to this series, I thought we had no chance. I really thought this team would continue their dominance over our young group. But now? Through 3 games? I think there is a very real chance we can beat this team. I really do. And that’s why the first two down there hurt so bad and we’re so frustrating. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Listen, there already is a difference between the team we are now against Carolina and even the team we were at the end of the regular season against them. You can see growth. You can see structure. You can see the ability to adapt. All 4 regular season games, especially the 2 in Raleigh, they had numerous quality chances (many of which ended up in the net the first game). Then the 2 up here, after a few strong starts, Carolina settled in and relentlessly attacked us and broke Igor down.

But through 3 games, can we really remember Igor needing to stand on his head? He’s played incredible, but the defense in front of him has also helped him out and made his job easier. The outside fan will see 43 saves and instantly think: “Typical Rangers having Igor save him.” But if you watched the game, a lot of this was to the outside (not saying Carolina got 0 good looks, just very few). Through 3 games, Igor has been beat 4 times.

I won’t lie, going in to this series, I thought we had no chance. I really thought this team would continue their dominance over our young group. But now? Through 3 games? I think there is a very real chance we can beat this team. I really do. And that’s why the first two down there hurt so bad and we’re so frustrating. 

A couple bounces go our way, and this could easily be 2-1 in the other direction, I dare say 3-0!!!  We're in this, and I see we're exposing some weaknesses in their defense.  I see a glaring difference when Igor plays the puck behind the net on dump-ins.  He's acting like a 3rd defenseman, so that our D can gather the puck, then turn around to see what's coming, instead of blindly firing it around the boards to whomever is there.

We break that forecheck, and we beat these guys.  We've been good, but we can do it better.

Fucking Chytil is growing on me in this series....and Yukon is gonna be a stud!

15 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

They got absolutely pounded in the 3rd period of Game 1...

• Like 1

This series is what playoff hockey is.....tight low scoring games with obvious ebb and flow changes. I am so proud of this team. The sucky part of it all is our upcoming cap crunch and a personnel change next year. We will possibly lose:

2nd line center (Strome)

1st line RW (Vatrano)

2nd line RW (Copp)

4th line LW (Motte)

Those are some heavy losses. Hope we can compensate otherwise this could be a one-off run. Either way, this ride has been AWESOME!! Loving the post season play. Keep it coming boys!!

• Keeps it 100 1

I think Drury is going to make some good off-season moves, and I also think he's going to surprise a lot of us with what we're able to keep, and for how much.  The days of bullshit contracts are over.  Our window is open, and if guys want a shot at a Stanley Cup, they're going to have to take a little less to play here with the best Goalie in the world.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 1

41 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

This series is what playoff hockey is.....tight low scoring games with obvious ebb and flow changes. I am so proud of this team. The sucky part of it all is our upcoming cap crunch and a personnel change next year. We will possibly lose:

2nd line center (Strome)

1st line RW (Vatrano)

2nd line RW (Copp)

4th line LW (Motte)

Those are some heavy losses. Hope we can compensate otherwise this could be a one-off run. Either way, this ride has been AWESOME!! Loving the post season play. Keep it coming boys!!

Don’t forget about me ! Lol

Hockey Nhl GIF by New York Rangers

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

2nd line center (Strome)

1st line RW (Vatrano)

2nd line RW (Copp)

4th line LW (Motte)

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I think Drury is going to make some good off-season moves, and I also think he's going to surprise a lot of us with what we're able to keep, and for how much.  The days of bullshit contracts are over.  Our window is open, and if guys want a shot at a Stanley Cup, they're going to have to take a little less to play here with the best Goalie in the world.

Guys, I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but....I don't fucking care who we're losing in FA anymore. We are one of 8 teams still playing. We are playing toe-to-toe with the consensus best team in our division across three games. Carolina looks very beatable, whether that's our work on them or their own issues. And as @Pete said - you see this team growing into a "real" team with every shift. There's no more "next year" shit - we're here NOW. We've arrived. And if we don't get there this year, so be it - we'll have been knocked out by a damn good team and have grown our core that much more. 

I'm done caring about Strome or Copp or Vatrano or Motte or Rooney or the cap crunch or whatever. We've got far bigger fish to fry.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

9 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Guys, I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but....I don't fucking care who we're losing in FA anymore. We are one of 8 teams still playing. We are playing toe-to-toe with the consensus best team in our division across three games. Carolina looks very beatable, whether that's our work on them or their own issues. And as @Pete said - you see this team growing into a "real" team with every shift. There's no more "next year" shit - we're here NOW. We've arrived. And if we don't get there this year, so be it - we'll have been knocked out by a damn good team and have grown our core that much more. 

I'm done caring about Strome or Copp or Vatrano or Motte or Rooney or the cap crunch or whatever. We've got far bigger fish to fry.

Move over, my man!!  I'm jumping on this bandwagon with you!

On 5/22/2022 at 12:15 AM, RichieNextel305 said:

It’s not the Hurricanes defensemen in general; it’s their team defense, their coaching, their structure, etc. 

I mean this is it in a nutshell. Carolina takes time and space away (when they can get their matchups) better than any team in the league. Their forwards are relentless on the forecheck and backcheck. It allows their defense to step up and play aggressive prior to a team gaining their zone.  Unfortunately, and I hate this type of hockey, they need to chip it deep and outwork Carolina’s defense down deep.

17 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I get it. Worry about next year when this year is actually over. But let’s not kid ourselves that we won’t be worse off on paper going into next year than we are right now without quite a few significant things going our way. This kinda feels like a one time stab this year, followed by one year regression, followed by a serious return to the fold in ‘23-24 when there’s some cap manueveability again.

Whatever happens, I’ve enjoyed this run immensely. Beating the Pens was critical in my view because it was a team they should beat. Now the Rangers should have zero shame if they lose to any of the remaining teams. Zero. They are all excellent teams left and the Rangers should feel proud being amongst them right now. They are not looking terribly out of place either, which makes it even better.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1