• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

6 hours ago, Flynn said:

I'm tempted... Raleigh is about 2.5 hours from Charlotte.. Just not sure I want to deal with their fans.. My hatred of this fanbase is on par with NYI/NJD/PHI/PITT.. 

They hardly exist. I’ve been there when the Canes sucked, and it was literally like being at the Coliseum. Talk about bandwagon fans.

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

My main issue is it’s the most fair-weather fan base going. that place was a ghost town for many years. The also stole the Whalers.

Go read a canes board. It’s like Penguin fans, with 10% of the hockey IQ. 

The area has also evolved massively over the past 5 years. It's almost a different city.

51 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

The area has also evolved massively over the past 5 years. It's almost a different city.

I've been in the area since 93, I've seen the growth- Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham- all growing like weeds.. 

I just have a general hatred of Raleigh for a number of reasons. The Canes fit the narrative perfectly for me. 

Edited by Flynn

If you want to go to Raleigh and wait until a half hour before the game, I think you will find tickets drop in price more than they do at MSG.

I went to Vancouver in 1994, and airfare, hotel and ticket was less than what MSG tix were going for.

10 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea wtf is up with that?  I know he was a Blackhawks tv guy forever but that shouldn't really get in the way.  Its not like NYR and CHI are a huge rivalry.  He won a cup here, if I remember correctly he was a bit of a glue guy in that 94 room.  WTF happen?  Did we not "heave ho" enough?  Is he overcompensating being anti-Ranger so people won't think he is a homer since he won here?  Is there something I am not remembering?

Supposedly, Mike Keenan called him into his office once and made him feel like a yuppy, due to Keenan making fun of his alligator skin shoes. 

Maybe he doesn't have the fondest of memories of NY. Came here as a decent goal scorer, left as a 13th/14th forward. 

• LOL 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

22 hours ago, Phil said:

Was week-to-week with a suspected broken left ankle. I wouldn't expect him for probably six to eight weeks from early May. In other words, Cup Final, at best.

Yeah… Reported this morning as still being in a boot, using crutches, and therefore obviously not skating. 

11 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah… Reported this morning as still being in a boot, using crutches, and therefore obviously not skating. 

Ankles for hockey players are weird because skates provide a rather good amount of both protection and stability. I'd guess that if he recovers well enough to get a skate on and feel comfortable,  the trainers would likely work with Cass to get his full ankle the right protection, and then him go since the likelihood of additional damage is pretty low.

He could, conceivably, play a game 6 or 7 against Carolina, but it's far more likely he'd be available for a Conference Finals or Finals.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Supposedly, Mike Keenan called him into his office once and made him feel like a yuppy, due to Keenan making fun of his alligator skin shoes. 

Maybe he doesn't have the fondest of memories of NY. Came here as a decent goal scorer, left as a 13th/14th forward. 

Keenan was not a fan of Olzcyk, nor Olzcyk a fan of Keenan.

Olzcyk had been a top-6 guy and basically a point per game player for nearly 10 seasons before coming to NY, and Keenan did not use him in that role at all. Conversely, Olzcyk did not like playing a bottom-6 role as he simply was unsuited and unfamiliar with it and wasn’t good at it, so he was a healthy scratch pretty often. Plus I believe he had a wrist injury that year too which kept him out of the lineup. 

In Keenan’s defense though, he inherited Olzcyk. Eddie O was acquired the previous season, before Keenan took over. They got Olzcyk right before Neilson got the axe. Neilson pushed for them to acquire Olzcyk as he was an assistant in Chicago when Olzcyk broke into the NHL as a Blackhawk, and he and Neilson had a very good relationship. 
Ironically, they acquired Olzcyk at Neilson’s behest and Neilson was fired like a week later.

So in Olzcyk’s defense, he was brought in by a coach who then instantly wasn’t there and ended up in no man’s land under the next 2 coaches who were very different. 

It just wasn’t a good fit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Ankles for hockey players are weird because skates provide a rather good amount of both protection and stability. I'd guess that if he recovers well enough to get a skate on and feel comfortable,  the trainers would likely work with Cass to get his full ankle the right protection, and then him go since the likelihood of additional damage is pretty low.

He could, conceivably, play a game 6 or 7 against Carolina, but it's far more likely he'd be available for a Conference Finals or Finals.

If it is in fact even an ankle. We don’t actually know for sure what it is or how bad it is. 

But you’re right. Given all the extra stuff these guys have access to that expedites recovery, (platelet rich plasma, hyperbaric treatment) it’s possible we see him later in the series. I wonder if he’s getting that type of stuff.

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

If it is in fact even an ankle. We don’t actually know for sure what it is or how bad it is. 

But you’re right. Given all the extra stuff these guys have access to that expedites recovery, (platelet rich plasma, hyperbaric treatment) it’s possible we see him later in the series. I wonder if he’s getting that type of stuff.

It's either a foot or an ankle - I think Vince said it was a sprained ankle. If it's a foot, great - that's actually better since you literally cannot make it worse. It's just when the pain stops.

8 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I really think in this series, and going forward really, Gallant is going to be able to work his motivational magic on this team. They're underdogs in this series and people are giving them no respect for beating Pittsburgh. This is where he made his hay with Vegas. 

It’s pretty interesting because I think an overwhelming majority of the hockey community underestimated how good the Penguins were going into the series, even despite injuries. They got little to no respect. So the Rangers, who went down 3-1 in the series and then needed 7 games and OT to barely win, look like overrated chumps or something for not disposing of them in 5 or 6 like so many picked them to do. Lots of folks saying the Rangers aren’t a good team  because of it. That’s some good motivational material.

Just another example of regular season matchup results meaning absolutely nothing too. Now we have the reverse, where it’s the Rangers who looked bad against the Canes in the regular season. We’ll see what happens.

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It’s pretty interesting because I think an overwhelming majority of the hockey community underestimated how good the Penguins were going into the series, even despite injuries. They got little to no respect. So the Rangers, who went down 3-1 in the series and then needed 7 games and OT to barely win, look like overrated chumps or something for not disposing of them in 5 or 6 like so many picked them to do. Lots of folks saying the Rangers aren’t a good team  because of it. That’s some good motivational material.

Just another example of regular season matchup results meaning absolutely nothing too. Now we have the reverse, where it’s the Rangers who looked bad against the Canes in the regular season. We’ll see what happens.

Agreed.

Im guilty of that myself. I think a lot of people looked at how the Rangers dominated them in the regular season, and then the injury to Jarry and him not being available and saw an easier series. Personally, I thought 6 games. And I didn’t think the Rangers would trail in the series either. 

And then there’s the Crosby and Igor factors. I don’t think anyone thought Crosby would be as overwhelmingly good as he was in this series. I know I didn’t. I thought he’d be very good. I didn’t think he’d absolutely dominate. Conversely, Igor was sub-par. That wasn’t expected either.

Edited by RangersIn7

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

We got away with playing incomplete games

better get past that shit this series

• Keeps it 100 1

It's impossible to know with Goodrow, as we don't know the extent of the injury. Even if we assume it's a fractured ankle, it's obviously not some kind of crazy compound fracture, likely just hairline, so when that sets, give it a week, and then it's all down to pain threshold.

I say there's an outside chance he's back by game 5.

16 hours ago, torontonyr said:

Yeah here in Raleigh. Not as much as nosebleeds in Toronto, I'll say that 😂

If I had to take a WILD GUESS...including taxes & fees...in the neighborhood of $100...and that's nosebleed seats on the secondary market.

Edited by Costa

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

Hurricanes blocking sales of tickets to anyone outside of NC.. Pillow fucking soft.

soft tfd101 GIF by Tacoma FD

but fans can still get tixs through the secondary market which won't burn a hole in the wallet and bypass the Canes ticket blocking scheme.  

Was thinking about potentially going to Raleigh for the game but I don't really see the appeal of going to a road game. The biggest reason to go to a game is having a united atmosphere which you wouldnt get on the road. Would rather just watch at a bar with a bunch of Rangers fan

Excited to get this series rolling! We are no doubt a bandwagon, largely hockey uneducated bunch, but damn sure enough the PNC Center will be rockin'! Typically a ton of Rangers fans at games down here so will be interesting to see. As a poster above mentioned things have changed a lot around here over the last 5-10 years. 10 years ago Ranges fans would have taken over the place. Anyone coming down who needs local info let me know.

• Cheers 3
  • TroCheckmark 2
  • Applause 1

21 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Excited to get this series rolling! We are no doubt a bandwagon, largely hockey uneducated bunch, but damn sure enough the PNC Center will be rockin'! Typically a ton of Rangers fans at games down here so will be interesting to see. As a poster above mentioned things have changed a lot around here over the last 5-10 years. 10 years ago Ranges fans would have taken over the place. Anyone coming down who needs local info let me know.

Gotta say.....much more class than the Pens fans who came on here after they went up in the last series and began trolling.

Stick around for some good hockey convo. We arent all a bunch of homers; got some legit hockey minds on this forum.

39 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

I’ll ask a Q. How do the majority of the fans feel about DeAngelo? 

• LOL 1
  • Applause 1

37 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Gotta say.....much more class than the Pens fans who came on here after they went up in the last series and began trolling.

Stick around for some good hockey convo. We arent all a bunch of homers; got some legit hockey minds on this forum.

Forgot about those kids! @Steelcitystorm where you at buddy? Delete your account so soon?

• LMFAO 1

28 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’ll ask a Q. How do the majority of the fans feel about DeAngelo? 

Well he's playing great hockey, his teammates are saying good things about him, and other fan bases hate and boo him,...so right now we love him. Ha! 

Will he get a hard boo-bird serenade when he returns up there?

• Thanks 1
  • Keeps it 100 1