• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

He's guilty of an almost unbelievable amount of stick infractions because his foot speed is well below average.

It's not a coincidence.

He's going to get paid. Not sure I'd want to be the one to pay him. I do think he's a good player, but his playoffs have been very poor, thus far.

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

He's guilty of an almost unbelievable amount of stick infractions because his foot speed is well below average.

It's not a coincidence.

He's going to get paid. Not sure I'd want to be the one to pay him. I do think he's a good player, but his playoffs have been very poor, thus far.

Agreed. Was just saying in a group chat, it's not an issue of chemistry with him. He and Panarin do very well together. It's an issue of overall composition. Strome's an effective player, but this is the second series in a row now that's seemingly bearing the same result: the top-six is playoff soft. It's going to be awfully difficult to want to willingly invest in that for even more money and term.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 2

Rangers getting crucified on SIRIUS NHL and rightly so. Do they learn from this? Some will. Top 6 players disappearing again is a conundrum of historic proportions. Think Great Crash of 1929-like fail...if our 'name guys' the ones featured on all of the promos do not show up and produce. Leadership? Schmeadership.

13 hours ago, rmc51 said:

1st/2nd

3rd/OT

You can’t just stop playing 🤷‍♂️

Kakko missed a one-on-one with the goalie AND a point blank wide open net and they had xG of 0.35? That's bs lol. The open net chance should have a 0.95 xG alone.

Besides that, it's fucking ridiculous giving up 3.68 xG in 25 minutes with a lead in the playoffs. 8 out of 15 chances was "high danger". Doesn't get a more clear picture than that. The players, especially the (top 6) forwards, just didn't bother back-checking anymore after 2 periods.

Can't remember the last game that had me as mad as this one. Please win tonight...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Rangers getting crucified on SIRIUS NHL and rightly so. Do they learn from this? Some will. Top 6 players disappearing again is a conundrum of historic proportions. Think Great Crash of 1929-like fail...if our 'name guys' the ones featured on all of the promos do not show up and produce. Leadership? Schmeadership.

I mean Zib and Kreids showed up to win the last series for us. The kids kept us in it all along. Our issue is Panarins line, hands down. Need a prolific scorer on that line and we don't have one (Enter Othmann next year, fingers crossed it translates quickly).

• TroCheckmark 1

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

The players, especially the (top 6) forwards, just didn't bother back-checking anymore after 2 periods.

I understand it's annoying, but I really don't buy the idea that it was an effort thing. Not even a little bit.

I think they came out of that dressing room with a defensive mentality. They were obviously too worried about losing their lead instead of just focusing on playing their own game and got into a really defensive mind state as a result. Combined with the Canes coming out firing on all cylinders. 

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Kakko missed a one-on-one with the goalie AND a point blank wide open net and they had xG of 0.35? That's bs lol. The open net chance should have a 0.95 xG alone.

Besides that, it's fucking ridiculous giving up 3.68 xG in 25 minutes with a lead in the playoffs. 8 out of 15 chances was "high danger". Doesn't get a more clear picture than that. The players, especially the (top 6) forwards, just didn't bother back-checking anymore after 2 periods.

Can't remember the last game that had me as mad as this one. Please win tonight...

Yeah, I agree. These analytics have some glaring holes. Definitely not a be all and end all. I’ve brought up in the past that the grouping of the various chances aren’t granular enough. I think Kakko’s chance rates the same in these charts as a rebound attempt in front of the net with the goalie in position to make a save. The Rangers have always had a tendency to wait and pass for the perfect play. Their “high danger chances” are usually of a better quality than other teams’, but happen less. That’s why they frequently get outchanced but still won over 50 games. Anyway, the analytics are still great for determining the flow of the game. Pretty accurate for game 1.

• Bullseye 1

26 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I mean Zib and Kreids showed up to win the last series for us. The kids kept us in it all along. Our issue is Panarins line, hands down. Need a prolific scorer on that line and we don't have one (Enter Othmann next year, fingers crossed it translates quickly).

Othmann stepping into the 2nd line in the NHL next year directly from juniors is a pipe dream.

We've seen what happens when we rush kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 2

28 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

I understand it's annoying, but I really don't buy the idea that it was an effort thing. Not even a little bit.

I think they came out of that dressing room with a defensive mentality. They were obviously too worried about losing their lead instead of just focusing on playing their own game and got into a really defensive mind state as a result. Combined with the Canes coming out firing on all cylinders. 

Yeah, but I don't think Gallant told them to stop playing on just pray that Canes don't score the entire period. The top 6 didn't really create much the entire game, but they didn't create a single scoring chance the entire 3rd period. The D-zone play was suspect, they couldn't win a draw and they were lazy on the back-checking (looking at you Panarin).

Call it lack of focus, wrong mentality, bad effort, but the point is they didn't do what they have to do, and what they know to do. And that's freaking annoying because they're paid a total of 50m dollars to carry this team, but instead we have to rely on the 5m 20y olds 3rd line.

It's become evident to me that Kevin Rooney doesn't bring much of anything to the team. He doesn't bring speed. He doesn't bring physicality. He doesn't bring offense. He doesn't bring a forecheck. He plays PK and about a billion other guys can do that.

I'd pay Motte before I pay Rooney, and Motte has yet to record a point as a Ranger in 15 games. Part of that is from playing with Kevin Rooney and Ryan Reaves. Poor guy.

30 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

1 goal in 120+ minutes, including a shit ton of PP time last game. Fucking lol

Said before the series my only hope was not to be swept like we was in the bubble. So far this is way worse…

It's been a defensive battle in both games, the type of game that's hard to watch. The Canes didn't score much either, just enough to win both games.

Back to MSG and let's see what happens. The Rangers have no choice, but to win both games to have a sliver of chance to win the series. They dug themselves out of the 3-1 hole against the Pitts by winning three games in a row. Just take one game at a time, 2-0 does not sounds such a deep hole.

LFGR!!!

• Believe 1

9 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Yeah, I’m pleased the Rangers have been in both games, they were there to win. That’s commendable. I’m mad they choked away game 1 and in both games the top 6 + their 2 top D have been awful. 

I can deal with the defense of Carolina; going into this series, we knew how good they were defensively. I can’t deal with the laziness and stupidity. Defensively, we looked like we have finally figured out how to not have them press and press against us. But our offense is stuck in park.

I’m not upset with, say, Zibanejad. He battled. He showed up. But others just totally coasted for 60 minutes. And that’s inexcusable.

It’s going to be really easy to blame Panarin, but getting through Carolina’s suffocating defensive scheme requires a collaborative effort. Strome and Copper are doing no favors.

The Rangers need more guys willing to go in on puck dumps, in particular whoever plays with Panarin-Strome. I put Motte with them next game.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko/Copp

Panarin - Strome - Motte

Lafreniere - Chytil - Copp/Kakko

Vatrano - Brodz - Gauthier/Hunt

We don’t need Reaves this series. We need speed. Enough Reaves and Rooney.

Edited by rmc51