• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

There was a couple of games he looked fine on the kid line in the Pittsburgh series. Been junk since imo. Shies away from contact all of the time. Doesn’t chase down pucks. Doesn’t produce. He’s Dryden Hunt without the energy 😛

Kid line was dynamite in games 1 and 2. Kakko was strong as fuck on the puck and was getting solid chances infront of the net. Blew a wide open net.  Remember? Chytil centering the kid line really pits them all together. Lafreniere was strong defensively in game 3, but was pretty invisible otherwise, until Gallant put Chytil back on that line. 

To me, Vatranos play has fallen off into that Strome level and Copp is floating in between lucky and kinda weak. If anyone comes out of the lineup it's Vatrano. But the options to replace him aren't any better. Except 15... Unless Blais is ready. But you know tge only actual alternative is Hunt. So.... no thanks. 

• Keeps it 100 1

8 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Hit everything that moves in the next game and hit DeAngelo and Domi twice on general principles.

DeAngelo is already turning the puck over and making mistakes which must really be grinding on him.  No reason to think he will not keep on doing that.

Fuck it, hit them in the tunnel on the way to the ice

• LOL 1
  • Cheers 1

NHL scheduling wizardry:  The series for one conference finalist is over while the series to determine its opponent is just three games in.  I've never seen something so lopsided.  Why did Tampa play two days in a row when they started their series a day early to begin with?

7 hours ago, Sod16 said:

NHL scheduling wizardry:  The series for one conference finalist is over while the series to determine its opponent is just three games in.  I've never seen something so lopsided.  Why did Tampa play two days in a row when they started their series a day early to begin with?

What are you talking about?

Tampa played G4 last night. We play G4 tonight. If both series swept, they likely start Friday with Tampa getting an extra rest day. That's not lopsided.

Is it the NHLs fault Florida mailed it in?

8 hours ago, VegasRanger said:

Fuck it, hit them in the tunnel on the way to the ice

That's just wrong...

The Rangers need to win tonight's game, they should stay focused on that and play smart. It's not about settling scores, at least in the playoff, it's about winning game 4 and tying up this series. That would make a bigger statement, than any potentially penalized hard hitting and fights.

Then win game 5 and finish them up in game six @MSG. That would be a revenge that the Canes would feel for a good while...

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Also building availability.  If TB/FLA played every other day, Game 3 would have been Saturday, but Amalie Arena had a Kane Brown concert scheduled Saturday night, and the NHL scheduled the game around the concert instead of requesting to bump the concert.  In any case, TB would have swept Florida yesterday anyway.  

6 hours ago, Pete said:

What are you talking about?

Tampa played G4 last night. We play G4 tonight. If both series swept, they likely start Friday with Tampa getting an extra rest day. That's not lopsided.

Is it the NHLs fault Florida mailed it in?

Florida was bitching some of the early games in series were scheduled head to head TV-wise against Celtics/Heat. But better idea; show up next time. 

4 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Also building availability.  If TB/FLA played every other day, Game 3 would have been Saturday, but Amalie Arena had a Kane Brown concert scheduled Saturday night, and the NHL scheduled the game around the concert instead of requesting to bump the concert.  In any case, TB would have swept Florida yesterday anyway.  

HavE tickets for The Who at MSG Thursday ( I am old; not what they were in 1979, but still a good show).Still going; will watch 1st and msot of 2nd in a bar, and MSG will have the game on in the concourses.  While there is now no conflict with MSG's arena availability, Ticketmaster had all over the invoice and emails that playoff game would have priority and could move the date of the show. 

53 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Florida was bitching some of the early games in series were scheduled head to head TV-wise against Celtics/Heat. But better idea; show up next time. 

That's got nothing to do with what he's saying, tho. His beef was about the days they played on from a competition perspective, against other series. There is no issue.

Carolina honestly looks tired and without their high pressure forecheck I’m not really sure that the team is any good. They’re pretty poor in their zone and are kind of a one trick pony. Pretty sure if we can keep momentum and keep them to the outside we should win the last two here. We very well could have won the first two, I think we’ve been the better team overall save for around 25minutes of play

5 hours ago, Valriera said:

Carolina honestly looks tired and without their high pressure forecheck I’m not really sure that the team is any good. They’re pretty poor in their zone and are kind of a one trick pony. Pretty sure if we can keep momentum and keep them to the outside we should win the last two here. We very well could have won the first two, I think we’ve been the better team overall save for around 25minutes of play

Judging a team playing their worst hockey of the season against a team playing maybe their best is unfair.

Saying Carolina isn't any good is, I'm sorry, just silly.

The Rangers just seem to have them figured out, so give them credit. 

Series is going obviously hinge on Carolina losing at home which they haven't done all playoff. 

They're a fantastic team playing bad hockey and the Rangers are exploiting it. 

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 5

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Judging a team playing their worst hockey of the season against a team playing maybe their best is unfair.

Series is going obviously hinge on Carolina losing at home which they haven't done all playoff. 

Correct.....an NHL Playoff series doesn't start until the home team loses a game. Happy we held serve, but we have to find a way to get a win on the road. 

• Believe 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

3 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

Canes are a different team at home vs. away. This is exactly how the last series went for them so far. Rangers gotta figure that out if they want to win the series. 

Exactly this and this.

I'd argue that winning game five is key to taking this series, because it'll put the Canes on the brink on the road. The Rangers will never get a better opportunity to close this out than they will if they pull this off. If not, it's a game seven in Raleigh, which is certainly winnable, but risky as fuck.

Take this in six. Ride this momentum and steal game five. Any means necessary.

• Bullseye 2
  • Believe 1

Canes are due for a L at home, but on the same token they are due for a road win.  

GG may have to consider trying to play the matchup game on the road, do whatever he can to get Zibs line away from Staal, and/or some line juggling to try and get away from the matchups that Brind'amour wants.  

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

They should have stole Game 1. Hopefully that wasn't their chance.

Absolutely. They'd be up 3-1 right now, if they did, but that's water under the bridge now. Steal game five. Win game six. Bring on Tampa.

• Believe 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Canes are due for a L at home, but on the same token they are due for a road win.  

GG may have to consider trying to play the matchup game on the road, do whatever he can to get Zibs line away from Staal, and/or some line juggling to try and get away from the matchups that Brind'amour wants.  

The way the Rangers have rebounded in this series suggests they're more due for the road win than Carolina is. The Rangers have adapted and countered the Canes' strategy. The sample size is small, and difficult to project going back to Raleigh, but in principle, they should have all the momentum necessary to take game five.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

Carolina is also way more frustrated today at 2-2 than the Rangers were at 0-2. They're panicking. Aho looks lost, as does Svechnikov. Tony who?

Their best player had been Raanta. Now that's shot to shit. 

Believe or be gone. 

• Believe 4

Well I just spent 15-20 minutes bathing myself in waters of Carolina Hurricanes message boards and I have to say.... it felt pretty sweet.

The big complaints seem to be (1) Raanta (bit of a surprise), then (2) the Powerplay and of course (3) the refs and NHL who are conspiring to end up with a TBL vs. Rangers conference final.... 😄

A (very) small number actually saw nothing wrong with the Trouba hit on Domi and the same small percentage took a look back and questioned just how bulletproof they have been at home in this series.

Sphincters tightening up all around it seem,s.  My guess is we see Freddie as early as next game and he is likely to be a bit rusty. 

History repeats?

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The way the Rangers have rebounded in this series suggests they're more due for the road win than Carolina is. The Rangers have adapted and countered the Canes' strategy. The sample size is small, and difficult to project going back to Raleigh, but in principle, they should have all the momentum necessary to take game five.

100% agree.  However, this series seems like it has come down to matchups, if the Rangers can exploit the Canes matchups in Game 5, we'll have a very fun night Saturday night.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Well I just spent 15-20 minutes bathing myself in waters of Carolina Hurricanes message boards and I have to say.... it felt pretty sweet.

The big complaints seem to be (1) Raanta (bit of a surprise), then (2) the Powerplay and of course (3) the refs and NHL who are conspiring to end up with a TBL vs. Rangers conference final.... 😄

A (very) small number actually saw nothing wrong with the Trouba hit on Domi and the same small percentage took a look back and questioned just how bulletproof they have been at home in this series.

Sphincters tightening up all around it seem,s.  My guess is we see Freddie as early as next game and he is likely to be a bit rusty. 

History repeats?

I mean, that is not an educated fan base. Many of them have only been watching since Carolina has been good, so two or three years?