• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

51 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

Yeah, I think so too. I honestly think all three of them have looked the best when playing together these playoffs. 

Part of me wants to see Panarin moved up to Mika and Kreids. We're just not getting shit out of him at 5v5 as things stand. Go

Panarin/Zib/Kreider

Kids line

Vatrano/Strome/Copp

Motte/Rooney/Reaves/Goodrow

But reverting to the lines that started the playoffs is maybe the best route.

He could throw Chytil up on RW of the Zib line here and there. 

Interesting to hear the coaching staff's comments on this candidly. I think it was pretty obvious to everyone on the outside how rattled he got in Game 3/4 in PIT. Whatever Benny did with him after that definitely worked though as he's looked rock solid in big game moments.

Edited by Karan

1 hour ago, Karan said:

Interesting to hear the coaching staff's comments on this candidly. I think it was pretty obvious to everyone on the outside how rattled he got in Game 3/4 in PIT. Whatever Benny did with him after that definitely worked though as he's looked rock solid in big game moments.

I'm surprised also. That is fuel for the Carolina fans......I bet GG would walk that back if he thought about it a lil more. Let's hope Shesty can play with earplugs tonight. 

3 hours ago, Gravesy said:

Yeah, I think so too. I honestly think all three of them have looked the best when playing together these playoffs. 

Part of me wants to see Panarin moved up to Mika and Kreids. We're just not getting shit out of him at 5v5 as things stand. Go

Panarin/Zib/Kreider

Kids line

Vatrano/Strome/Copp

Motte/Rooney/Reaves/Goodrow

But reverting to the lines that started the playoffs is maybe the best route.

Totally on board leaving the kid line together.  As a unit they really meshed and made things happen.

Though they didn't produce many goals, they carried the play, kept the puck pinned in the offensive zone and generated quality chances.  Kakko looked like he was breaking out. I'm a fan of scoring chances and the kid was getting them. Sooner or later they will start going in.

Unlike my boy Gauthier,  Kakko has missed at a variety of different spots on the ice, which shows he's not a one trick pony. Hrs not doing the same shit over and over.  Needs some puck luck. I think once he breaks his schneid, the confidence level will shoot through the roof and we will see more. 

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

Totally on board leaving the kid line together.  As a unit they really meshed and made things happen.

Though they didn't produce many goals, they carried the play, kept the puck pinned in the offensive zone and generated quality chances.  Kakko looked like he was breaking out. I'm a fan of scoring chances and the kid was getting them. Sooner or later they will start going in.

Unlike my boy Gauthier,  Kakko has missed at a variety of different spots on the ice, which shows he's not a one trick pony. Hrs not doing the same shit over and over.  Needs some puck luck. I think once he breaks his schneid, the confidence level will shoot through the roof and we will see more. 

I’ve been as big of Kakko defender as anyone but I just feel like we’ve been saying this for so long 

he has all the tools. He just can’t figure out how to use them. 

59 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I’ve been as big of Kakko defender as anyone but I just feel like we’ve been saying this for so long 

he has all the tools. He just can’t figure out how to use them. 

Because he can't. Been saying it forever. He's late career Rick Nash. Defensively responsible, offensively inept.

• Bullseye 1

I don't get the Kakko angst... I watched last night too, and if Kakko was in the top 10 reasons this was an L I'd disagree

Talking about about Kakko seems like a complaint about the table cloths in the main dining room on the Titanic as it was going down. He's not lived up to the billing of a #2OA sure, but man there are much bigger culprits-  with much bigger paychecks who you can't even tell if they dressed in any of these road games. 

Do we wish he was much better? Absolutely, but he's not been the reason this team has played 7+ periods of absolute shit at Carolina 

Edited by Flynn

3 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I don't get the Kakko angst... I watched last night too, and if Kakko was in the top 10 reasons this was an L I'd disagree

Talking about about Kakko seems like a complaint about the table cloths in the main dining room on the Titanic as it was going down. He's not lived up to the billing of a #2OA sure, but man there are much bigger culprits-  with much bigger paychecks who you can't even tell if they dressed in any of these road games. 

Do we wish he was much better? Absolutely, but he's not been the reason this team has played 7+ periods of absolute shit at Carolina 

58 points in 157 regular season games. Minus-12.

2 points in 15 playoff games. Minus-5.

What's not to get? He's incredibly unproductive for a second overall pick. Let alone one drafted as "complete" a player as him. He was supposed to be Marian Hossa. He's worse than Marcel.

• LOL 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

There was a hilarious sequence in the 1st where Kakko did his half wall shtick, stick handling furiously, going nowhere, hands moving like E Honda, and Smith just gave up and went and stood in the corner, at which point Kakko just blindly dumped it right on his tape.

• LOL 1

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

There was a hilarious sequence in the 1st where Kakko did his half wall shtick, stick handling furiously, going nowhere, hands moving like E Honda, and Smith just gave up and went and stood in the corner, at which point Kakko just blindly dumped it right on his tape.

Where is the coach that shows him how to take it off the boards and create some offense?

Kakko on the 4th line with Rooney and Reavo turns that into the slowest line in the playoffs. He can’t be on the 4th again. Either move him back up or bench him.

Kakko isn’t high on the list to blame for last night’s loss, but he’s high up the list why the Rangers lost G1. He was drafted 2OA to help us win games and he certainly hasn’t been doing a good job of that for 3 years. Settling for a 2OA being only middle of the pack in reasons we lost a game is such a Rangers fan thing to resort to. We are so accustomed to seeing things not work out, that when a guy doesn’t overtly suck we think it’s good enough. He’s a big pile of “bleh”. Not horrific, but not good either. Is that what we drafted?

11 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Kakko on the 4th line with Rooney and Reavo turns that into the slowest line in the playoffs. He can’t be on the 4th again. Either move him back up or bench him.

Kakko isn’t high on the list to blame for last night’s loss, but he’s high up the list why the Rangers lost G1. He was drafted 2OA to help us win games and he certainly hasn’t been doing a good job of that for 3 years. Settling for a 2OA being only middle of the pack in reasons we lost a game is such a Rangers fan thing to resort to. We are so accustomed to seeing things not work out, that when a guy doesn’t overtly suck we think it’s good enough. He’s a big pile of “bleh”. Not horrific, but not good either. Is that what we drafted?

He's not even "middle of the pack," he's at the back of it. He produces like a low end third-line player. On most good teams, he's a fourth line player. 

Certainly not blaming him for the loss. He was put into a no win situation last night. Stuck with Reaves and Rooney, on the 4th line while lines 1-3 mostly looked inept. 

the general complaint from me right now is, we’ve continued to see flashes of what he can be. But it’s never a complete picture. 

people might call me crazy to compare him to this player, and I’m certainly not saying he is or will ever be as good, but I love his strength on the puck to protect possession, in a way it reminds me of Jagr. 

and even Jagr didn’t come right in as Jagr. Not saying we shouldnt continue holding out for his ceiling. 

just that it’s frustrating to see him continue to not piece it all together. It was easy to blame Quinn for his struggles.  But now it’s two VERY different coaches who both haven’t been able to get the most out of him. 

I do still believe he can have a long career and a bright future here. But the leash isn’t gonna get longer 

31 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Certainly not blaming him for the loss. He was put into a no win situation last night. Stuck with Reaves and Rooney, on the 4th line while lines 1-3 mostly looked inept. 

the general complaint from me right now is, we’ve continued to see flashes of what he can be. But it’s never a complete picture. 

people might call me crazy to compare him to this player, and I’m certainly not saying he is or will ever be as good, but I love his strength on the puck to protect possession, in a way it reminds me of Jagr. 

and even Jagr didn’t come right in as Jagr. Not saying we shouldnt continue holding out for his ceiling. 

just that it’s frustrating to see him continue to not piece it all together. It was easy to blame Quinn for his struggles.  But now it’s two VERY different coaches who both haven’t been able to get the most out of him. 

I do still believe he can have a long career and a bright future here. But the leash isn’t gonna get longer 

I know what you mean as far as the comparison to Jagr stylistically; especially behind the goal line when it comes to cycling the puck around. He’s very strong on the puck. 

At some point, a little bit of a clearer picture needs to come into focus I would hope. The tools are there. I think this experience will be very good for him. 

He's great at cycling the puck, to no one. To create nothing. He's the King of possessing for the sake of possessing. It's why the charts love him. Blue bar good, red bar bad. But if you actually watch him, you quickly realize he's doing a whole lot of nothing.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

11 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It’s time to mix things up a bit.  
Maybe go with something like

Kreider - Zibanejad- Copp

Panarin - Strome - Vatrano

Lafraniere - Chytil - Kakko

Hunt - Rooney - Motte 

Why did you make the third line the second line?

Simply for what ever the reason, this team will not do what's necessary until it has no other choices. Fully expect an engaged effort Saturday at 8PM. 

Could say again for the 452,345th time, go to the net,shoot the puck, stop with the east/west, drop passing bullshit. It is what it is.  Still have the best goalie in the world; need offense. 

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

He's great at cycling the puck, to no one. To create nothing. He's the King of possessing for the sake of possessing. It's why the charts love him. Blue bar good, red bar bad. But if you actually watch him, you quickly realize he's doing a whole lot of nothing.

Cycling without a shot on net  is mostly pointless beyond running clock. Especially if you're behind. Same thing as all the perimeter shit. You're doing the defense's job for them, you're giving time to set up, and at some point there's a good chance they will get possession. Again, one of those things that's different about regular season/playoffs. Canes have now seen 5 games of this. It's not gonna make things any better throwing it into the corner if the wall battle doesn't get to the net and soon. 

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1