• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

2 hours ago, Phil said:

He's great at cycling the puck, to no one. To create nothing. He's the King of possessing for the sake of possessing. It's why the charts love him. Blue bar good, red bar bad. But if you actually watch him, you quickly realize he's doing a whole lot of nothing.

Yeah he’s just running around. I was thinking that he doesn’t really have a mentor for his game here. There isn’t a similar structured player to learn from. He’s not learning from panarin mika or kreider. He’s a below the hash player who theoretically has offense in his game but doesn’t know where it is and we don’t really have players who have the same skill set. 

Hinestly it’s the only reason I’d consider keeping him because what is theoretically in his game is something we have none of but he’s just so bad at it. Remember the dish to laf from behind the net against the pens? When was the last time someone made a play from behind the net like that? 

• TroCheckmark 1

With Kakko, there's a fine line between excelling and total ineffectiveness.  We all know which side of that line he's on now.  I'd hate to give up on him when he might easily cross that line.

As for the fourth line, we need to get rid of Rooney and Reaves.  They just aren't doing it.  I understand the other lines were not doing anything, but down 3-1 with 2:30 left, why did Gallant have the 4th line on?  It's not like they ever score a goal.

• Like 1

That was Canes hockey last night. When we play like that there are few teams that can beat us over a 7 game stretch. That said it seems pretty certain that team will be nowhere to be found tomorrow night and it will come back to Raleigh for Game 7. This Jekyll and Hyde home/away situation is getting to be pretty mind numbing. Obviously its mostly on us as the B's series played out the exact same way.

1 minute ago, CanesFanRandy said:

That was Canes hockey last night. When we play like that there are few teams that can beat us over a 7 game stretch. That said it seems pretty certain that team will be nowhere to be found tomorrow night and it will come back to Raleigh for Game 7. This Jekyll and Hyde home/away situation is getting to be pretty mind numbing. Obviously its mostly on us as the B's series played out the exact same way.

Given how the Rangers and Hurricanes have been, I am fully expecting a Game 7. At minimum, I expect a much better game from the Rangers. They've been good at rebounding all year. 

When the Hurricanes are on, they're one of the toughest teams to score against. I don't think the Rangers were that great last night anyway, they had better quality scoring chances in the first two games. But they're definitely playing more of their game at home. The Rangers had them rattled a bit at MSG.

Man, on the one hand I hope we pull through and find a way to win this series but in the other hand I'd rather it be Carolina and not us who get embarrassed by Tampa. We're way too inconsistent to put up a series fight against that team 

• Like 1

Welcome back @CanesFanRandy - you're talking to a fanbase who has seen mind-numbing play after mind-numbing decision-making for decades lol. It's infuriating. 

At this point, NYR and CAR are both playing the Jekkyl and Hyde game. Call me a fan, but I have more faith in NYR on the road than CAR on the road, but game 5 was just...oooooof. 

1 hour ago, Myusername said:

Man, on the one hand I hope we pull through and find a way to win this series but in the other hand I'd rather it be Carolina and not us who get embarrassed by Tampa. We're way too inconsistent to put up a series fight against that team 

Fuck that, no. No, no, no. Hell no. Win.

• Keeps it 100 3

9 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I’ve been as big of Kakko defender as anyone but I just feel like we’ve been saying this for so long 

he has all the tools. He just can’t figure out how to use them. 

I feel like he should have taken a step this season,  but injuries prevented that. He didn't look all that great before the injuries, but IMO he showed up for the playoffs and has shaken off tge rust.

Let's not forget his play on the called back goal against Pitt.  Yes he's missed some golden opportunities. I just think there's more positive in his game and I like seeing players GET opportunities VS being slugs and playing pussy hockey.  Give me Kakko and Gauthier failing on their chances over no shots on goal and avoiding contact. Eventually pucks will go in with abundance of chances. All it takes is 1 or 2 for a player to gain confidence. 

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I feel like he should have taken a step this season,  but injuries prevented that. He didn't look all that great before the injuries, but IMO he showed up for the playoffs and has shaken off tge rust.

Let's not forget his play on the called back goal against Pitt.  Yes he's missed some golden opportunities. I just think there's more positive in his game and I like seeing players GET opportunities VS being slugs and playing pussy hockey.  Give me Kakko and Gauthier failing on their chances over no shots on goal and avoiding contact. Eventually pucks will go in with abundance of chances. All it takes is 1 or 2 for a player to gain confidence. 

I'll give you the first half — I'd rather that, too, because at least it looks threatening — but the latter simply isn't true. Chris Higgins says 'sup.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'll give you the first half — I'd rather that, too, because at least it looks threatening — but the latter simply isn't true. Chris Higgins says 'sup.

Higgins had success everywhere but here though. 

I'm seeing the offensive side of his game starting to creep back into his repertoire. He's engaged and is doing more of what he was drafted to be, rather than what the Rangers tried to turn him into (Jesper Fast). He's about to break out.

I really don't understand why Gallant broke up the only line that was doing anything. Lafreniere has been a little less impressive since the line was disassembled too. Plain as day. That line needs to be put back together. Assigning it the correct minutes is the challenge. 

If you told me we’d be game 7 second round against canes and probably deserved to win the series in 5 or 6 if not for some kakko whiffs and general inexperience I’d say that is pretty great. Game 7 - anything can happen

• Believe 1