• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

8 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Hit everything that moves in the next game and hit DeAngelo and Domi twice on general principles.

DeAngelo is already turning the puck over and making mistakes which must really be grinding on him.  No reason to think he will not keep on doing that.

Gotta be smart about it though, can't go running amok hitting and taking dumb penalties for it. Stay focused on your game and when the right opportunity presents itself THEN lay a big hit.  Just running around hitting anything that moves for the sake of it is a quick way to be down 3-0 by the end of the first......

We have not played good at all in my opinion but Carolina hasn’t either. I actually think Pittsburgh was a tougher game for us because they attacked a lot more. Carolina gets a lot of shots, but it’s a lot of low danger shots. At least from the eye test. If we were playing a bit less timid I think we would easily be up in this series. When I say timid, I mean guys on our team not wanting to be the difference themselves. It comes from a lack of playoff experience because a lot of guys are so focused on making the perfect play rather than just testing Raanta.

There is no reason we can’t be up 3-2 going into game 6. 

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

One period, where they gave up a goal with 2 minutes left.

Right. But that proved to be a pretty pivotal period and Shesterkin had to come up big to get them down scoring with 2 minutes left. 

Look, I get what you're saying, but the Rangers have had stretches where they lost focus and got completely outmatched. They're definitely playing better than they did in the Pens series though.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Jimmy said:

Gotta be smart about it though, can't go running amok hitting and taking dumb penalties for it. Stay focused on your game and when the right opportunity presents itself THEN lay a big hit.  Just running around hitting anything that moves for the sake of it is a quick way to be down 3-0 by the end of the first......

Not advocating the taking of stupid penalties but sometimes playing more physically across the board means you will take an extra penalty here or there.  It also means you can induce dumber players on the other team to over react.  Look at Boston for example. I am not sure this Carolina team wants to be in that kind of a contest with us.

Two minutes ago this series was all going just swimmingly for Carolina.  Up 2-0 and seemingly in cruise control.  If we suddenly turn around and even it up at two each then maybe they begin to look at games 1 and 2 again and think that they were a little lucky to have been up 2-0 in the first place.

Time to put a little self doubt into their heads.  Especially the pinheads on the team.

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, Morphinity said:

Right. But that proved to be a pretty pivotal period and Shesterkin had to come up big to get them down scoring with 2 minutes left. 

Look, I get what you're saying, but the Rangers have had stretches where they lost focus and got completely outmatched. They're definitely playing better than they did in the Pens series though.

For sure. I’m not saying they’ve played flawlessly. But I think we can all agree that, as a team, of the now 7 games we’ve played against Carolina this year, the 3 best have been in this series.

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

For sure. I’m not saying they’ve played flawlessly. But I think we can all agree that, as a team, of the now 7 games we’ve played against Carolina this year, the 3 best have been in this series.

100%

In those 4 regular season games, Carolina looked like an unbeatable juggernaut in the first 2, and extremely tough in the other 2. 
They don’t look like that now

Few side notes…

Freddy Andersen practiced today. Brind’Amour said he’s “not an option right now.” But something to keep an eye on.

Also, I don’t know how many of you guys are Twitter people or even read up on our opponents. But, a portion of Hurricanes fans actually believe the Rangers were mocking their doofy storm surge with our salute following our Game 3 win. Can someone please explain to them that the Rangers were actually the first team to ever do the stick salute to the fans during the 2005-2006 season and have been doing it ever since? The first salute was actually following the Malik shootout game.

Good grief, Canes fans…

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

I got so happy with yesterday’s win that I bought 2 tix for tomorrow night on Gametime. 

Hope Rangers come out  to even the series. It’s possible. Believe. Getting one in CAR will be a challenge too but I know we can with a 60-min effort. 

Let’s worry about Game 4 and only that game.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Canes fans are basically writing game 3 off as an aberration, Igor stole it.. They universally believe this is still just a 5 game series. 

Seeing the same. A lot of claims the Canes dominated the Rangers last game. I didn’t see it that way. They had a small advantage in chances, but nothing egregious especially considering the Rangers best player is in net.

• Bullseye 1

20 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Seeing the same. A lot of claims the Canes dominated the Rangers last game. I didn’t see it that way. They had a small advantage in chances, but nothing egregious especially considering the Rangers best player is in net.

They are not entirely wrong, maybe not to the magnitude that they are stating, but not wrong. I do recall all of the complaint about everyone on the Rangers, refs, etc., even counting pussies, at least until Mott had the EN goal. That resulted in the collective sight of relieve in the forum, including myself of course…

I just wish, that they collect and display the teams time of possession, like they do in the KHL. In the HNL, we are lucky if the shots on goal displayed during the game…

49 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

In terms of possession, sure. But everything was to the outside. Not a whole lot of scary chances.

Igor appears to have shaken the playoff cobwebs and is back in the “if-I-see-it-I’ll-stop-it” mode hes been in all year.

These teams can continue to say “oh it’s just Igor!” And they will. And they’ll be wrong. But even if they’re not, who cares? Last time I checked, it isn’t a crime having a superstar goalie. Think the Devils fans who now whine about Igor ever had a word to say about Brodeur when he would make monster saves to keep their sorry asses above water?

• Keeps it 100 2

On 5/22/2022 at 6:45 PM, rmc51 said:

Gallant needs to figure out the 2nd and 3rd line combinations because he absolutely has to go back to Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil next game. That line won this game along woth Shesterkin. The 2nd and 3rd lines weren’t good.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil

Panarin-Strome-Motte

Lafreniere-Copp-Vatrano

Hunt-Brodz-Reaves

Scratch Kakko. He doesn’t deserve to be out there right now.

Man. Kakko has been pretty good. That rust is coming off. He's generating chances and you need that. The puck will start going in. Let him gain traction. They don't have much to choose from. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

In terms of possession, sure. But everything was to the outside. Not a whole lot of scary chances.

Igor appears to have shaken the playoff cobwebs and is back in the “if-I-see-it-I’ll-stop-it” mode hes been in all year.

These teams can continue to say “oh it’s just Igor!” And they will. And they’ll be wrong. But even if they’re not, who cares? Last time I checked, it isn’t a crime having a superstar goalie. Think the Devils fans who now whine about Igor ever had a word to say about Brodeur when he would make monster saves to keep their sorry asses above water?

Montreal won 2 Cups and played for a 3rd in an 8 season stretch, and other teams said “oh it’s just Roy.” 

Didn’t matter. He still beat there collective asses. 

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Man. Kakko has been pretty good. That rust is coming off. He's generating chances and you need that. The puck will start going in. Let him gain traction. They don't have much to choose from. 

There was a couple of games he looked fine on the kid line in the Pittsburgh series. Been junk since imo. Shies away from contact all of the time. Doesn’t chase down pucks. Doesn’t produce. He’s Dryden Hunt production-wise without the energy 😛

Edited by rmc51