• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

3 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Well he's playing great hockey, his teammates are saying good things about him, and other fan bases hate and boo him,...so right now we love him. Ha! 

Will he get a hard boo-bird serenade when he returns up there?

Unequivocally, yes.

24 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Well he's playing great hockey, his teammates are saying good things about him, and other fan bases hate and boo him,...so right now we love him. Ha! 

He was seemingly a pain in the ass when he was with us, Randy.  He didn't appear to be the model teammate, and also had some trouble with Georgiev.  He has lots of offensive talent, no doubt.  I suppose he gave off the image that he was an immature punk to me.

Here's to a fantastic series!!!  ....and thanks for having some real class!  I knew the guys up here all appreciate that!!!

17 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea wtf is up with that?  I know he was a Blackhawks tv guy forever but that shouldn't really get in the way.  Its not like NYR and CHI are a huge rivalry.  He won a cup here, if I remember correctly he was a bit of a glue guy in that 94 room.  WTF happen?  Did we not "heave ho" enough?  Is he overcompensating being anti-Ranger so people won't think he is a homer since he won here?  Is there something I am not remembering?

Funny enough he told the story about he kissed Matteau's stick right before his goal in Game 7 against the Devils again during the game on Sunday.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He was seemingly a pain in the ass when he was with us, Randy.  He didn't appear to be the model teammate, and also had some trouble with Georgiev.  He has lots of offensive talent, no doubt.  I suppose he gave off the image that he was an immature punk to me.

Here's to a fantastic series!!!  ....and thanks for having some real class!  I knew the guys up here all appreciate that!!!

The Boston fans I knew HATED him. They also threw out a bunch of racist claims which we really know nothing about. I don't know all the history with the guy or what the basis on all of it is but he has definitely left quite a wake at his previous stops it would appear.

3 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

The Boston fans I knew HATED him. They also threw out a bunch of racist claims which we really know nothing about. I don't know all the history with the guy or what the basis on all of it is but he has definitely left quite a wake at his previous stops it would appear.

No, we know plenty about it. He was suspended in 2014 for using a racial slur against his own team mate:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sarnia-s-anthony-deangelo-suspended-for-slur-directed-at-teammate-232527684.html

5 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Yeah, I think, or at least hope we have thicker skin than that Boston crowd.  We deal with enough of their shit during baseball season, Randy!!  LOL

To be honest, I don't really blame ADA 100%.  A lot of that, but not all falls on our last coach and leaders that I don't think knew how to control the team....Most likely part of the reason Quinn is gone.

It's probably better for him that he got a clean slate with you guys down there, so he can just play hockey and have a good career.  Hopefully all of that crap he left in his wake will just get washed away over time.

Edited by Ozzy

Just now, Phil said:

No, we know plenty about it. He was suspended in 2014 for using a racial slur against his own team mate:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sarnia-s-anthony-deangelo-suspended-for-slur-directed-at-teammate-232527684.html

Just to clarify, neither this article nor any reporting to my knowledge confirmed it was a racial slur.

5 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

Just to clarify, neither this article nor any reporting to my knowledge confirmed it was a racial slur.

You're right. It's inferred, because the OHL's policy is for "homophobic, racist, and sexist language."

Either way, fuck Tony.

52 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Haha you will get a 70/30 split of love and hate for DeAngelo around here.  He will most likely get booed pretty good at the Garden. Glad he got a chance to grow up and good to see that talent not go to waste.

Wish we kept Raanta way back when.....we all also loved Fast and appreciated Skjei when he was here. We always wanted more from Stepan and Brendan Smith was mostly serviceable in his role during his time as a blueshirt.

This should be a real uphill battle for our team but hopefully they put up more of a fight than they did during the play in from the bubble. Haha

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

What, he told Matteo Ciccarelli he wasn't Italian enough?

Here's the best part, there's zero people of colour on that roster, so any useless journo could made a deduction by subtraction, but what fun is that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

What, he told Matteo Ciccarelli he wasn't Italian enough?

Here's the best part, there's zero people of colour on that roster, so any useless journo could made a deduction by subtraction, but what fun is that?

Knowing Tony, and his dad, who was interviewed a while back talking about how they use the f-word regularly, it was a homophobic slur, not a racial one. That's on me.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Haha you will get a 70/30 split of love and hate for DeAngelo around here.  He will most likely get booed pretty good at the Garden. Glad he got a chance to grow up and good to see that talent not go to waste.

Wish we kept Raanta way back when.....we all also loved Fast and appreciated Skjei when he was here. We always wanted more from Stepan and Brendan Smith was mostly serviceable in his role during his time as a blueshirt.

This should be a real uphill battle for our team but hopefully they put up more of a fight than they did during the play in from the bubble. Haha

I agree about ADA, glad he got another chance and let's hope he won't change anytime soon. Although I wouldn't mind, if he isn't playing as well in the second round, as he did during the season and in the first round. The best moment for me with ADA as a Ranger had been, when he did a 360 turn front of Henrik with the puck and somebody in tow, took off, got to front of the other goalie and scored. I just don't remember which game it was.

Uphill battle or maybe not... The Rangers started to show signs of of getting back to their regular season form toward the end of the first round. There's always hope, just like throughout the season and even in the first round there was...

• Believe 1

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

Supposedly, Mike Keenan called him into his office once and made him feel like a yuppy, due to Keenan making fun of his alligator skin shoes. 

Maybe he doesn't have the fondest of memories of NY. Came here as a decent goal scorer, left as a 13th/14th forward. 

First I've heard that one.  Hilarious lol

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Of all the players with the Canes, the two guys I wish they kept most are Fast (that price still pisses me off) and Smith.

smith just kills me. We are paying patrik nemeth not to play who we acquired to replace smith. And it's not like nobody saw it coming. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Valriera said:

smith just kills me. We are paying patrik nemeth not to play who we acquired to replace smith. And it's not like nobody saw it coming. 

Smith would have been so useful in those 11/7 games, too. Rather than paying Nemeth to not play, like you said, you now have a player who can potentially play F to replace Reaves late in games if you still want to roll four lines.

• Keeps it 100 1

I didn't even think of the 11/7 thing but you're completely right. It's just so stupid. It's one thing if he's taking the minutes of a younger guy but we literally replaced him with a more expensive worse version of himself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morphinity said:

I thought the comment was about a Jewish teammate? I’m not looking through the 753 threads, though. 

2 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I didn't even think of the 11/7 thing but you're completely right. It's just so stupid. It's one thing if he's taking the minutes of a younger guy but we literally replaced him with a more expensive worse version of himself. 

I’d rather watch Panarin turn the puck over than have smith playing forward.

if he’s not good enough at his own position  to play, why are you using him at a different position?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Smith would have been so useful in those 11/7 games, too. Rather than paying Nemeth to not play, like you said, you now have a player who can potentially play F to replace Reaves late in games if you still want to roll four lines.

So many talk about how Kakko/Lafreniere need more ice time that I don’t understand why not just go 11-7 regularly and rotate Lafreniere or Kakko on the 4th. They could use a few more minutes anyway. Bench Reaves this series.

Seems to me having the spare defenseman available is extremely valuable in the event of injury or in those marathon OT games. Especially with Lindgren so banged up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rmc51 said:

It’s pretty interesting because I think an overwhelming majority of the hockey community underestimated how good the Penguins were going into the series, even despite injuries. They got little to no respect. So the Rangers, who went down 3-1 in the series and then needed 7 games and OT to barely win, look like overrated chumps or something for not disposing of them in 5 or 6 like so many picked them to do. Lots of folks saying the Rangers aren’t a good team  because of it. That’s some good motivational material.

Just another example of regular season matchup results meaning absolutely nothing too. Now we have the reverse, where it’s the Rangers who looked bad against the Canes in the regular season. We’ll see what happens.

Last game at MSG vs. Canes was for the first half a pretty even game. But then got out of hand and looked like Gallant pulled in the horns a bit. Not sure you can draw much of a conclusion. Recall when Canes swept Canes in tbe bubble, Rangers dominated the regualr season matchups. 

Teams know each other very well; heck, half Canes' defense, 2/3rd of their 4th line and their possibe starting goalie all played here recently.  Canes will try to bottle up Rangers' break ins.