• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes Round Two — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

27 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It’s going to be really easy to blame Panarin, but getting through Carolina’s suffocating defensive scheme requires a collaborative effort. Strome and Copper are doing no favors.

The Rangers need more guys willing to go in on puck dumps, in particular whoever plays with Panarin-Strome. I put Motte with them next game.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko/Copp

Panarin - Strome - Motte

Lafreniere - Chytil - Copp/Kakko

Vatrano - Brodz - Gauthier/Hunt

We don’t need Reaves this series. We need speed. Enough Reaves and Rooney.

enough of Rooney already

And please don't pay Strome second line center money

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It’s going to be really easy to blame Panarin, but getting through Carolina’s suffocating defensive scheme requires a collaborative effort. Strome and Copper are doing no favors.

The Rangers need more guys willing to go in on puck dumps, in particular whoever plays with Panarin-Strome. I put Motte with them next game.

Panarin - Strome - Motte

It’s not even a matter of execution. In Panarins case, it’s just laziness and stupidity at this point.

I agree the lines need to be jumbled up a bit. Vatrano, for instance, has gone pretty stale and quiet.

I get the reasoning to not put Panarin with Kreider and Zibanejad, but I also see the reason for trying to do it; especially at home where you can kind of control the matchups. But Gallant doesn’t coach that way, so moot point really.

Its hockey 101 really with this team: they need to understand their opponent. Sometimes that extra pass does actually make sense, but sometimes it doesn’t. We are all educated hockey fans here for the most part. We’re not these morons who scream “shoot!” whenever the puck goes on to someone’s stick. But quite frankly? The Rangers need to understand that whatever chances you get against this team are few and far between and that the time to make that extra pass really isn’t there; pucks need to be put on net.

• Keeps it 100 1

I also don’t get all the angst with the 4th line. They did their job last night which is why they got ice time late in the game. At one point, they swung the momentum all the way toward us with a good long shift deep in their zone where they got pinned and it led to a few shifts worth of the Rangers having chances. I think it actually led to the 4:00 PP. I think the 4th line is what got that whole time of possession in the Carolina zone started.

49 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Panarin - Strome - Motte

At this point, I take them both out, put Motte at center, and bring in Hunt and Gauthier. I doubt it makes any difference because this series is a master class lesson in the difference between a roster designed to win in the playoffs versus one designed to win in the regular season, but fuck it.

Bring in hunt. At least he’s willing to shoot, play physical, and go to the net. We have a team full of wuss players right now.

They’ve had their opportunities to have scoring chances but they “pass them up” or pass to outside for a horrible angle shot. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I also don’t get all the angst with the 4th line. They did their job last night which is why they got ice time late in the game. At one point, they swung the momentum all the way toward us with a good long shift deep in their zone where they got pinned and it led to a few shifts worth of the Rangers having chances. I think it actually led to the 4:00 PP. I think the 4th line is what got that whole time of possession in the Carolina zone started.

What you saw with the 4th line was almost exclusively Motte buzzing around the ice. Rooney took two penalties. Reaves lumbers around and not a threat to anybody this series.

The 4th line can be improved most easily by rotating fresh legs in, so it should be. Don’t underestimate the guys being brought into the lineup. They can more easily be moved up the lines to provide speed, energy, and/or forecheck. Don’t be afraid to spice it up. You’re not able to move Reaves or Rooney up. About the blandest, slowest players you can get.

Panarin and Copp have to still be dealing with whatever injuries took them out of the li e up down the stretch.  Hopefully Fox is dealing with a lower body injury because he looks lime he's skating in Mudd.

On the bright side really happy with the experience being gain by Miller, Laf, Kakko, and even Schneider.  Should pay huge dividends next year.  Also happy with how Shesty rebounded after round 1.

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

However this series ends up shaking out, this will be a positive step in most ways

Well it's a good measuring stick to compare our progress in 2 seasons against the same opponent. They've certainly come a long way from that 2020 qualifying round series against CAR.

Edited by Karan
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, lefty9 said:

I agree

Laf has been good ,great experience for bim

1 hour ago, Karan said:

Well it's a good measuring stick to compare our progress in 2 seasons against the same opponent. They've certainly come a long way from that 2020 qualifying round series against CAR.

To be fair, I’ll expand.

The series isn’t over. Carolina hasn’t won a road game in this postseason, so I’m not singing their finale at this point. But thus far…

They had an excellent regular season. Won 50+ games. Had 110 points. And that’s off a season where they missed the playoffs. They’ve got a great core and a lot of youth that’s only going to improve. The window is now open. 

They went down 3-1 vs Pittsburgh and came back. Huge for this team. Especially the young guys. Winning that first playoff series as a group, especially in that fashion, is a tremendous positive. 

They’ve played 2 tough road games. They were in both. Lost both. Could have won both. They just didn’t. You take what positives you can and move forward. Gallant needs to make some adjustments too. 

TBH, I did not at any point see them getting past the Canes. They can’t get swept though. Got to get in the win column. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 4

1 hour ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Great observation on Twitter: “I get that it's a well constructed Rod Brind'Amour system, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that #NYR  are being stifled offensively by Brady Skjei, Brendan Smith & TDA, all of whom were defensive liabilities with the Rangers.”

It’s not the Hurricanes defensemen in general; it’s their team defense, their coaching, their structure, etc. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It’s not the Hurricanes defensemen in general; it’s their team defense, their coaching, their structure, etc. 

Indeed, and it's not just their defense but their forwards are a big part of their strong team defense. Something which has been sorely lacking with our forwards with a couple of the key goals this series. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

4 hours ago, Karan said:

Indeed, and it's not just their defense but their forwards are a big part of their strong team defense. Something which has been sorely lacking with our forwards with a couple of the key goals this series. 

Namely the Smith goal.

But overall, I haven’t been that disappointed in our attention to detail defensively. We have given up hardly any Grade-A chances. It’s not as if we’re leaving Igor hanging out to dry. We just have gotten absolutely nothing going offensively. 

This team reminds me kind of like a modern day version of the late-90s Devils with the way they play. Could bore you to death and suffocate you defensively. But one wrong move, poof. 

Boston held serve, and went from 0-2 to 2-2 fast and easy. Lets see if we have similar luck.

They’ve given up 4 goals in 2 games, of which one was in OT and one was an empty netter. Essentially 1GA/60. Clearly team defense isn’t even close to being a problem.

In game 1 the problem was not taking our chances. In game 2 it was being completely unable to deal with the Canes forecheck and neutral zone pressure. 

• Bullseye 1

Gallant needs to figure out the 2nd and 3rd line combinations because he absolutely has to go back to Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil next game. That line won this game along woth Shesterkin. The 2nd and 3rd lines weren’t good.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil

Panarin-Strome-Motte

Lafreniere-Copp-Vatrano

Hunt-Brodz-Reaves

Scratch Kakko. He doesn’t deserve to be out there right now.