• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

Yup. Latest 31 Thoughts podcast, he said it's a three-year deal at $1.8 million per. He also said he could get two to three times that on the open market but wants to stay in Carolina.

Nothing is official until its signed on the dotted line.....so here's hoping it falls through at the last moment. :)

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is official until its signed on the dotted line.....so here's hoping it falls through at the last moment. :)

Oh, for sure, but hope isn't a strategy. He's highly unlikely to ever hit the market.

We have so much offense and such high octane defenseman and I can't believe people really want to bring in Torts. Better hope Fox wins the Norris this year because this will be his last chance for a while then. He'll be a 40-50 point Dman under Torts who gets yelled at for jumping into plays.

Not true. Tortorella hasn’t ever had a player of Fox’s caliber. Because he benched borderline NHLers like MDZ and Gilroy we’re supposed to cling to this narrative? Werenski and Jones have been just fine under him and have been considered among the top defensemen in the league over the last number of years. Neither is as offensively gifted as Fox. Fox plays a mistake-free brand of hockey. He’ll be fine.

Torts adapts his coaching to his talent pool. It's always been the case.

He didn't have Lecavalier and Richards and Boyle and St Louis collapsing and blocking shots in Tampa. He had a bunch of physical two-way guys and the best goalie on the planet here and played to that strength.

Not true. Tortorella hasn’t ever had a player of Fox’s caliber. Because he benched borderline NHLers like MDZ and Gilroy we’re supposed to cling to this narrative? Werenski and Jones have been just fine under him and have been considered among the top defensemen in the league over the last number of years. Neither is as offensively gifted as Fox. Fox plays a mistake-free brand of hockey. He’ll be fine.

This.

Fox is the definition of “plays the right way.”

Torts would love him.

Torts is more likely to play Fox 35 minutes a night than he is to bench him. There's a lot of revisionist history going on here.

Work ethic + responsible/mistake-free hockey + talent is the ultimate mix for Torts. Everything else is gravy on top.

This.

Fox is the definition of “plays the right way.”

Torts would love him.

Fox pinches too much and I would expect that to be corrected, but other than that Torts is known for leaning heavily on his best players.

I don't know if Torts is the right coach -- but he'd sure as hell be a lot of fun to have back. I have no idea how these kids would respond.

Fox pinches too much and I would expect that to be corrected, but other than that Torts is known for leaning heavily on his best players.

I don't know if Torts is the right coach -- but he'd sure as hell be a lot of fun to have back. I have no idea how these kids would respond.

Brooks also made the point that Torts's MO is to break a team down before he builds it back up and that, with Panarin turning 30, he wouldn't have a couple extra years to do that. That being said, I heard somewhere that Torts and Brooksie weren't BFFs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Oh go ahead and say it someone, "Mike Keenan."

I shudder to think at the endless defensive zone sequences, played as if shorthanded, with the middle clogged and no challenges for the puck along the walls, and defenders sacrificed to fired pucks like WWI doughboys, that were the trademark of Torts I.

t

It will be very interesting whether DQ gets another chance elsewhere. It will be very interesting to see who Gorton's first coaching hire is in his new job, not more than six months from now.

Kakko, Lafreniere, and Kravtsov should all be fine. Kravtsov and Kakko at least have shown glimpses of strong defensive games. They at least won’t be in the doghouse for effort.

Torts is more likely to play Fox 35 minutes a night than he is to bench him. There's a lot of revisionist history going on here.

Work ethic + responsible/mistake-free hockey + talent is the ultimate mix for Torts. Everything else is gravy on top.

Bingo. The Rangers have the last element in spades, and it's the hardest one to get. We've said it for the entire 2010s runs we had. "Oh man, wish we just had that one guy". We hoped Nash would be it, and he wasn't. The Rangers have 3 of those guys now, and it might be more in the next few seasons depending on which young guys rise to the task.

Instilling work ethic is a Torts specialty, and less mistakes comes with experience if it isn't innate (like with Fox). If Torts gets hired, I would wager the Rangers win a Cup within the next 3 years.

Yup!!! There's a reason you run this place, huh big fella!!! ;)

I'm thinking if they do hire him, maybe Torts could be THAT guy that could FINALLY light a fire under Kreider's dead ass....

Plus Yukon will be forced to give up the donuts Ozzy! :) Love me some Torts. Get with the program or gtfo.

Plus Yukon will be forced to give up the donuts Ozzy! :) Love me some Torts. Get with the program or gtfo.

Whoever becomes coach I hope they make him grow the beard back and give him a standing gift certificate to Dunkin' Donuts, JS!!! :rofl:

• Like 1

Torts is not and has never been a "long term coach". Surprised he lasted as long as he did in Columbus.

I think this gets overblown, who is and what's the standard?

7 seasons in TB

6 seasons in Columbus

5 seasons in NY

1 in Van

I guess we can harp on Van, does he have a shelf life, yes, do they all I believe they do. His isn't nearly as bad as it's portrayed to be.

• Like 1

Torts is not and has never been a "long term coach". Surprised he lasted as long as he did in Columbus.

More lazy narrative stuff. He coached six years in Columbus. One too long, perhaps, but the average shelf life of an NHL coach is basically five years. Almost no one is a "long-term coach." The longest tenured current coach is Jon Cooper, who was hired in 2013 (so eight years). Behind him? Paul Maurice (2014), who might be fired. Then Bashill and Sullivan (2015). Everyone else was hired in 2016 or after.

In other words, two perennial Cup contenders have kept their coach for five+ years in the last decade.

How so? I posted this in another thread a few days ago:

That's not accurate.

Jones' stock is WAY down.

PLD - come on, seriously? That's not helping your point.

Anderson down to 1g 4p in 26 games his last season. That's worse than Howden.

Bjokstrom dropped in goals, went from +8 to -15.

Jenner was a captain when Torts got there, and has had a pretty steady decline in production and play since.

Saad is a weird name to bring up

This is a pretty sad list for 6 seasons with the team.

Torts adapts his coaching to his talent pool. It's always been the case.

He didn't have Lecavalier and Richards and Boyle and St Louis collapsing and blocking shots in Tampa. He had a bunch of physical two-way guys and the best goalie on the planet here and played to that strength.

That's why Gaborik wanted out?

That's not accurate.

Jones' stock is WAY down.

PLD - come on, seriously? That's not helping your point.

Anderson down to 1g 4p in 26 games his last season. That's worse than Howden.

Bjokstrom dropped in goals, went from +8 to -15.

Jenner was a captain when Torts got there, and has had a pretty steady decline in production and play since.

Saad is a weird name to bring up

This is a pretty sad list for 6 seasons with the team.

Jones is still considered one of the best defensemen in the NHL. Not surprising his offensive numbers aren't great when he's on a team that struggles to produce offense because of a lack of weapons.

Dubois lost Panarin as his left wing. His P/GP dropped from .74 to .7 the following season. He played 5 games in Columbus this season and wanted out not because of Torts. He's a .5 P/GP player in Winnipeg. Is Torts' ghost bothering him there?

Anderson was injured for most of last season. He has 8 goals and 12 points over his last 33 games after starting with 9 goals and 12 points in his first 19. Torts must've showed up in Montreal in March to ruin him.

Bjorkstrom has more points than he had last season. Are we really using fewer goals and plus-minus against him? You didn't even try here.

Jenner is just another Dubinsky.

• Like 1