• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

Quinn was not though, he was forced and a very strange fit. Sheldon Keefe was the right guy last time and Gorton screwed it up. Part of the reason he's out of a job now.

This...

Why do coaches have such a short shelf life in the NHL?

Because all of the teams just keep hiring the same 10 or so guys over and over again and then act surprised when it doesn't work out. Give me new blood.

Is at odds with this.

I also never said Quinn was the smartest. I said choosing the smartest guy isn't always the best course. Sometimes teams don't need more brains but more passion, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link:

He would immediately become the guy I would want. I just think this is leverage to get a little more out of the Hurricanes though...I'm not getting my hopes up.

He would immediately become the guy I would want. I just think this is leverage to get a little more out of the Hurricanes though...I'm not getting my hopes up.
He's holding out because the Canes ownership won't pay other staff members who aren't yet under contract. That's why he's taking less, he's telling ownership to pay the others, but for some reason they won't do it.

More on our next head coach...

https://www.eurohockeyclubs.com/news/hallam-leads-v-xj-to-a-third-title

"So where is Hallam’s greatness? There are several qualities that make him an excellent coach. He is a brilliant communicator, and he has shown that he can work equally efficiently with veterans as well as with young players. Just look at what Hallam did with Elias Pettersson before the player left for Vancouver.

There are observers who say that his teams play an overly academic or calculating style of hockey and, although there may be some truth to it, no one with the Lakers seems to care. The three championship titles in six years are solid proof of that. They are a team that relies on puck possession, opportunistic scoring and a suffocating defence."

Few points here...

Exactly, so no balls. Hire the smartest and best coach. That's Hallam. If Drury was as smart as they say he is then that's the way he would go. Either that or Drury isn't really the one making the choice. However if he really is getting an interview then that means they see what he brings and he's a real candidate. Just because Quinn failed doesn't mean you get too scared to go back to the well.
These are just baseless claims. Who's the smartest and best coach ... If Drury doesn't hire Ivan Hlinka 2.0 he's an idiot or a puppet. How can anyone take this seriously?

I mean there's no guarantee anybody will succeed, that why I think you hire the person and not the resume. Drury should see this, he just got his whole front office fired because half of the teams in the league wanted to pull him away from us and give him his first GM job because of who is and how smart he is so we handed him the whole organization.
Thats...not...what happened with Gorton and JD...

I don't have comparison for hockey, but I'm a huge Padres fan. They hired a first time Manager in Andy Green and he failed, was disliked by his players, they quit on him and was fired. Then last offseason they had to make the next hire. Everyone was pushing for a veteran replacement and Ron Washington and Tony LaRussa were at the top of the list. However we have a very bright and forward thinking GM and he went outside the box and hired Jayce Tingler, a coach nobody had heard of, who had only been an assistant and whose only managing experience came from the Dominican summer league. It was all based on his mind and the kind of person and leader he was.

That has proven to be the correct move and it was done because he hired the guy who would use his players best, cared about analytics and would give his team the best chance to win. You hire based on who can win in the future, not who has won in the past because sports league are ever evolving and sometimes having won in the past can be a hinderance toward evolving along with the sport. Give me the smartest guy every time. I'll take Hallam or Knoblauch, not somebody who just got fired from someplace else for not getting it done.

You don't have a comparison for hockey because the role of baseball manager is light years different than hockey head coach.

If Drury hired some obscure SEL name with no NHL experience at this point in time when playoffs are a mandate, he should be fired immediately and just go back to the pizzeria.

He's holding out because the Canes ownership won't pay other staff members who aren't yet under contract. That's why he's taking less, he's telling ownership to pay the others, but for some reason they won't do it.

It may be the perfect time to "Rico Suave" in there, and clip him from out from under Carolina, Pete. We had a chance to do this right a few years ago when we hired Quinn; Now we have a rare chance to do it right again. If money is no object, and obviously coach salary doesn't count against the cap, why not blow him away with a good deal for him and his coaching staff?

I figure we get this shit done right this time and stop fuckin' around! ;)

I don't think anyone up here would have any issue with Brind'amour....Not for nuthin' but, he looks like he could still probably play on the 4th line too!! :rofl:

Yeah, I don't see it, Nashty. Kinda the "Been there, done it" kinda vibe going that direction, I agree.

I'm of the mindset that we've stuck it out with Quinn, and I've supported him throughout, even with his ups and downs, and even I realize that he isn't the guy to take us to the next level and beyond. Ok, cool...no sweat. Instead of just replacing Quinn with another experiment or less experienced coach, we give this team what it REALLY needs: experience....and do this correctly this time.

Drury goes out and gets an experienced coach, where these kids, when they hop over the boards, know exactly what their role is and how to perform it every shift for 60 minutes every game.

I'd love for it to be Brindy, and I know it's a long shot, but I'm holding on to hope! ;)

Yeah, I don't see it, Nashty. Kinda the "Been there, done it" kinda vibe going that direction, I agree.

I'm of the mindset that we've stuck it out with Quinn, and I've supported him throughout, even with his ups and downs, and even I realize that he isn't the guy to take us to the next level and beyond. Ok, cool...no sweat. Instead of just replacing Quinn with another experiment or less experienced coach, we give this team what it REALLY needs: experience....and do this correctly this time.

Drury goes out and gets an experienced coach, where these kids, when they hop over the boards, know exactly what their role is and how to perform it every shift for 60 minutes every game.

I'd love for it to be Brindy, and I know it's a long shot, but I'm holding on to hope! ;)

It's not even necessarily that it was an experiment that didnt work, but rather the temperature in the room reads WIN NOW. Cant have a guy learning the ropes with that expectation. Drury would be putting his own job on the line with a hire like this. He brings in a Gallant or a Julien and he is much safer because he can hide behind the "well he has won before I dont know what happened" excuse.

I dont know this guys history but does he have any NHL experience at all? Assistant coach or anything? If the answer is no I am pretty sure this is just not happening. Hire him as an assistant if he will be open to that.

It's not even necessarily that it was an experiment that didn't work, but rather the temperature in the room reads WIN NOW. Cant have a guy learning the ropes with that expectation. Drury would be putting his own job on the line with a hire like this. He brings in a Gallant or a Julien and he is much safer because he can hide behind the "well he has won before I don't know what happened" excuse.

I don't know this guys history but does he have any NHL experience at all? Assistant coach or anything? If the answer is no I am pretty sure this is just not happening. Hire him as an assistant if he will be open to that.

I'm with you all the way! I wouldn't even bring him in as an assistant. I'd let the new coach pick his own assistants...(but that's me, and you know I do a lot of LSD! LOL)