• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

I tried,but based on your response, you heard 36 seconds of it and assumed you knew the rest.

I know you and your Quinn pal will defend till the death, but Spooner wasn't hard on Quinn. You guys hear Quinn and immediately get all "shit post" defending

So you're not interested in having a serious conversation you're just interested in shit posting.

Noted.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably just shit posting. Not much to say on the subject. One can agree with what was said or, be wrong.

There's a lot to like about Quinn, but he's not the right fit. Hope the young kids do more with their next coach in the NHL.

Quinn has many of the right things you need to be an NHL HC.

And he’s smart enough to know where he’s lacking.

He just needs more experience and maybe taking a step backwards first and working under a veteran HC for a couple years would help him.

But I think he’s got a future as someone’s coach

He’ll be around

For sure. He’ll learn from this whole experience. For a first time HC in the NHL, he didn’t do all that bad of a job. The locker room had (has) issues, and part of the reason I’m sure he lost his job is because he couldn’t control some of those issues. That being said, he’s a smart enough guy to learn from this, make adjustments and get another job in this league. I can see him maybe getting a job as an assistant before his next HC gig, but wouldn’t be surprised to see a team offer him a HC job either.

For sure. He’ll learn from this whole experience. For a first time HC in the NHL, he didn’t do all that bad of a job. The locker room had (has) issues, and part of the reason I’m sure he lost his job is because he couldn’t control some of those issues. That being said, he’s a smart enough guy to learn from this, make adjustments and get another job in this league. I can see him maybe getting a job as an assistant before his next HC gig, but wouldn’t be surprised to see a team offer him a HC job either.

I agree.

I think he needs to learn how to manage personalities better as his biggest issue off ice. On ice, clearly he had issues getting his team to adjust and find a plan B to win with when plan A isn’t there or working.

In all honesty though, in most instances in most sports, whenever I see a promising yet inexperienced first time HC get let go, I always think it’s a benefit for that guy to go and work as an assistant somewhere under a veteran HC first before jumping back into the HC job elsewhere.

But I wouldn’t blame any team for hiring him as their HC without him doing that.

I think Quinn hit a wall with this club and couldn't figure out how to get over it. I remember a presser where he just looked frustrated and made a comment to the effect of not knowing how to rectify the team not playing his system. I think he lost the locker room and it was never more apparent then when he was on COVID protocol. Nice guy, prolly could be successful at some point but definitely could use some time as an apprentice to learn how to handle dynamic talent and managing a pro locker room. He had the biggest stage as his intro to pro hockey and I'd give his tenure here a 6/10. Some guys developed well under him but his roster utilization and lack of team leadership dropped him down to slightly above average.

I think Quinn hit a wall with this club and couldn't figure out how to get over it. I remember a presser where he just looked frustrated and made a comment to the effect of not knowing how to rectify the team not playing his system. I think he lost the locker room and it was never more apparent then when he was on COVID protocol. Nice guy, prolly could be successful at some point but definitely could use some time as an apprentice to learn how to handle dynamic talent and managing a pro locker room. He had the biggest stage as his intro to pro hockey and I'd give his tenure here a 6/10. Some guys developed well under him but his roster utilization and lack of team leadership dropped him down to slightly above average.

Quinn didn't have the stones to bench the guys that mattered. He took it out on the kids and bottom 6 players. That's why he hit a wall with getting the whole team to buy in.

Quinn had one year under his belt and then the Rangers signed a $10m guy who immediately went into the Hart conversation. I don't think Bread ever gave a rat's ass what Quinn told him to do. He probably just nodded cheerfully and looked at the translator. Then he went out on the side wall and made his super fancy east-west passes and racked up a shitload of points. What's Quinn to do? Bench him? And unless you acknowledge a complete double standard for your best player, how do you then make everyone else listen? I, too, was a Quinn supporter until I watched him in post-games looking progressively more helpless and powerless. I don't know hockey coaching nearly as well as I know PR, and he was starting to drown. I hope Drury takes seriously the fact that their most potent weapon was shut down completely and without too much difficulty when the going got rough. For any coach to succeed, Panarin has got to fit in, not exist independently.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Spooner saying what most of us knew

Wish the audio wasn't so horribly compressed. I like the content, but it constantly cuts out and has awful add drop points. It's unlistenable at times and frustrating.

Thanks for sharing though. I'll definitely continue listening and checking out the catalog.

Spooner sounds like a guy that knows what he's good for, and little bitter about things that bother me about coaches. I'll never understand why teams trade or draft a player based on their skillet, then put them in situations that don't fit their skills, and infact strip them of their attributes that made them desirable enough to draft.

Looking back I see what Spooner was talking about as far as how he was used here. He played good as a Bruin, came to NY and did quitte well. Then comes Quinns first year and he got Quinned. Played a few games in the top 6, moved from position to position, then he's put on the lower lines and no PP time, then scratched...

I'll never understand why coaches are willing to put up with warts for certain players and not for others. Production is obviously the end all becall, but why can't a team that doesn't have that elite talent just go with players like this until they do? I feel for players like this, who I think just needed a little more support from coaches and management. Guys like this are perfect for expansion teams. They'll get used there and get a fair chance.

Anyway another player who says DeAngelo is a likable guy in the locker room as well aa another person who says hes very vocal almost to a fault..

Quinn was just in over his head. He'd make a good NHL assistant coach. You'd think a coach like that, with weird rules like no stick handling on 2 on 1s, would be very fundamental oriented. Yet, this team couldn't win a faceoff for its life and we hadn't heard anything about bringing in a person to work on such things.

It's going to be a challenge to who ever they bring in, to decide how to work with this skilled roster.

Quinn had one year under his belt and then the Rangers signed a $10m guy who immediately went into the Hart conversation. I don't think Bread ever gave a rat's ass what Quinn told him to do. He probably just nodded cheerfully and looked at the translator. Then he went out on the side wall and made his super fancy east-west passes and racked up a shitload of points. What's Quinn to do? Bench him? And unless you acknowledge a complete double standard for your best player, how do you then make everyone else listen? I, too, was a Quinn supporter until I watched him in post-games looking progressively more helpless and powerless. I don't know hockey coaching nearly as well as I know PR, and he was starting to drown. I hope Drury takes seriously the fact that their most potent weapon was shut down completely and without too much difficulty when the going got rough. For any coach to succeed, Panarin has got to fit in, not exist independently.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And I think that is where the locker room leadership needs to be on the same page as the coaching staff. Some say the "C" is just a letter and more for the fans but I know better than that. That "C", when sewn to the correct sweater is a sense of pride and leadership. Those that have experienced true leadership when the going gets tough understand the importance. Those that think otherwise have obviously never experienced being led by a true leader. I am fortunate to have experienced the former and truly appreciate the difference a strong leader makes. It creates an environment of accountability. The team plays for each other with a common goal and objective. This team sorely lacked this aspect. So, I would say some of that falls on management too. Dolan isn't too crazy. I think it was pretty obvious to everyone that when the going got tough; there was no one to look to for guidance or inspiration. We need it and it doesn't have to be home grown. *cough* Foligno *cough*

Not only were faceoffs not worked on in practice like you mentioned but Quinn downplayed the importance of winning them.

Feels like the Rangers haven't won a faceoff in 10 years and I don't know why this issue is never addressed, no matter who the coach is.

Not only were faceoffs not worked on in practice like you mentioned but Quinn downplayed the importance of winning them.

Feels like the Rangers haven't won a faceoff in 10 years and I don't know why this issue is never addressed, no matter who the coach is.

The face off issue is concerning. I feel what doesn’t get talked about enough is how bad zib and strome are at it.

Tbh I’m starting to think zib may get flipped for another center this off season who is a little more well rounded

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The face off issue is concerning. I feel what doesn’t get talked about enough is how bad zib and strome are at it.

Tbh I’m starting to think zib may get flipped for another center this off season who is a little more well rounded

I don't think that's happening unless Drury finds out that his contract demands are astronomical. You can't really upgrade Mika. He's one of the best centers in the game at this point.

I don't think that's happening unless Drury finds out that his contract demands are astronomical. You can't really upgrade Mika. He's one of the best centers in the game at this point.

This ^.

Also, faceoffs are a team stat, and when all your centers are this bad, I think it's more likely that the systems are bad and the wingers aren't getting in there to help when the win isn't clean. I can't tell you how many times I've noticed one of our centers actually had the edge on the puck drop, but the other team's wingers were able to get to and control the puck.

In researching for who they brought in years ago (I thought they brought in MacT many moons ago, as well as Lapperiere after that)I see Quinn brought in Brad Richards to work with guys 2 years ago.. But that it. I think it helped for about a month. I don't know how long he worked with them, but you'd think it would be a constant tutelage, especially since it's been a constant issue.. Odd choice for a guy to bring in for faceoff help. Not like Richards was a dynamo on the draw.

Atleast a few years ago they had Dominic Moore and Brian Boyle . Crap these guys took important draws over Richards. Why bring in Richards?? LOL. Fuckin Rangers...

This ^.

Also, faceoffs are a team stat, and when all your centers are this bad, I think it's more likely that the systems are bad and the wingers aren't getting in there to help when the win isn't clean. I can't tell you how many times I've noticed one of our centers actually had the edge on the puck drop, but the other team's wingers were able to get to and control the puck.

That’s entirely true.

With that said eichel is signed for longer an zib has one more year. Probably unlikely but you never know.

This ^.

When I got to meet him in DC, I asked Trotz if faceoffs could be taught. He said that faceoffs were 80% desire and 20% technique. Basically, if you relish the fight, you're good at it. If you don't, you're not. If you buy that theory, it doesn't say great things about our guys.

• Like 1

When I got to meet him in DC, I asked Trotz if faceoffs could be taught. He said that faceoffs were 80% desire and 20% technique. Basically, if you relish the fight, you're good at it. If you don't, you're not. If you buy that theory, it doesn't say great things about our guys.

I think that quote from Trotz is telling about our guys. Nobody seems to be a ball of fire with emotion on this team and that is what frustrates me.

• Like 1

Zib had a terrible year in the circle this year. Just terrible.

Part of that maybe has to do with him taking so many of them because there’s no one else on this club that’s even remotely good at it. IDK.

46.2 % this year

His number over the last 6 years prior though are 50.2%

He’s never going to be great, but a 4 % drop from league average is bad.

Hard to find a good team that doesn’t win a lot of face offs with their top center men.

I think we already know this team lacks desire and fight.