• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

The Blueshirts’ newly installed president-general manager has previously met with Gerard Gallant, who entered this derby with the shortest odds. It is believed that Drury has been in contact with both John Tortorella and Patrick Roy, though it does not seem that their talks could be construed as job interviews.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/rangers-arrange-rick-tocchet-meeting-in-fluid-coach-search/

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Drury’s search for the next Rangers coach will include a meeting with Rick Tocchet, The Post has confirmed.

The Blueshirts’ newly installed president-general manager has previously met with Gerard Gallant, who entered this derby with the shortest odds. It is believed that Drury has been in contact with both John Tortorella and Patrick Roy, though it does not seem that their talks could be construed as job interviews.

The Rangers, seeking a coach with NHL experience, appear to be working off of a relatively short list of candidates. But sources have indicated that the list could expand dramatically depending on outcomes of playoff series.

For instance, if the Penguins’ Mike Sullivan or the Bruins’ Bruce Cassidy were to become victims of first-round defeats, both would immediately become prime candidates to fill the vacancy on Broadway created by the dismissal of David Quinn on May 12.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/18/rangers-arrange-rick-tocchet-meeting-in-fluid-coach-search/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Tochett has won 2 cups as an assistant in the recent past; that holds some weight imo. However other than that, his resume is pretty light and not impressive.

Gallant has been much more successful through out his coaching career. Ill say it again, go with Gallant!

Tochett wouldn’t be so bad.

Tochett has won 2 cups as an assistant in the recent past; that holds some weight imo. However other than that, his resume is pretty light and not impressive.

Gallant has been much more successful through out his coaching career. Ill say it again, go with Gallant!

What Tocchet has on his resume that Gallant doesn't is getting star players to buy into a system, a la Kessel. Gallant was handed a great roster in LV but they were all strangers to each other and no bona-fide star.

Tocchet came into PHX and made an impact on a team with some gel. I don't dislike Gallant but I'll say again...There's a reason he can't stick and wasn't coaching in the NHL this year, when some awful coaches were behind the bench (I'm looking at you, Colliton and Blashill).

The interesting name we haven't heard yet: Ralph Krueger.

What Tocchet has on his resume that Gallant doesn't is getting star players to buy into a system, a la Kessel. Gallant was handed a great roster in LV but they were all strangers to each other and no bona-fide star.

Tocchet came into PHX and made an impact on a team with some gel. I don't dislike Gallant but I'll say again...There's a reason he can't stick and wasn't coaching in the NHL this year, when some awful coaches were behind the bench (I'm looking at you, Colliton and Blashill).

I don't get how Blashill just got extended. I'm also near-100% certain that Krueger is persona-non-grata for a few years after the Buffalo debacle.

The name I'm watching is Travis Green. I think Vancouver might just be stupid enough to let him go.

I don't get how Blashill just got extended. I'm also near-100% certain that Krueger is persona-non-grata for a few years after the Buffalo debacle.

The name I'm watching is Travis Green. I think Vancouver might just be stupid enough to let him go.

They have an ownership problem. And an Eichel problem.

I'm not saying he's a must-hire, but he should be on their list before guys like Hartley and Babs.

What Pete listed here is what I like about Tocchet. I wouldn't object to Tocchet being back there either. He's a tough fuck too! I like that for this team....it might rub off!! ;)

I'm not a Gallant stan by any means, but I think there's reasons for his bizarre departures that are somewhat well known.

From what I understand about Gallant is that he's not an analytics guy. TSN had a story about how in FLA the stat nerds were texting him in-game about line changes that needed to happen and Gallant lost his shit on them (and rightfully so, IMO).

In Vegas he took that team to the finals and Conference Finals. His third year they had a 4-game losing streak going in January when he was replaced by DeBoer, who had just beaten them the year before. The prevailing storyline there is that the owner is trigger happy (which we know all too well). He's desperate to keep that team "relevant" which for him means winning cups. It's not like he was fired after the ECF run. He was there for 2.5 years and had a lot of success. Also noteworthy, his team did not have quite the juggernaut lineup they have today.

I'm honestly not concerned about Gallant at all.

My only "absolutely not" candidates are Ralph Krueger, as you mentioned, and Roy.

It's really not. Coaching is predominantly an eye-test role. Refusing to account for some level of analytics input in crafting your lineup is a problem, sure, but analytics mean a helluva lot more to a front office than they do a head coach.

I'm not a Gallant stan by any means, but I think there's reasons for his bizarre departures that are somewhat well known.

From what I understand about Gallant is that he's not an analytics guy. TSN had a story about how in FLA the stat nerds were texting him in-game about line changes that needed to happen and Gallant lost his shit on them (and rightfully so, IMO).

In Vegas he took that team to the finals and Conference Finals. His third year they had a 4-game losing streak going in January when he was replaced by DeBoer, who had just beaten them the year before. The prevailing storyline there is that the owner is trigger happy (which we know all too well). He's desperate to keep that team "relevant" which for him means winning cups. It's not like he was fired after the ECF run. He was there for 2.5 years and had a lot of success. Also noteworthy, his team did not have quite the juggernaut lineup they have today.

I'm honestly not concerned about Gallant at all.

My only "absolutely not" candidates are Ralph Krueger, as you mentioned, and Roy.

Understood, but it doesn't explain why there are some terrible coaches still around, and he didn't coach this year at all.

Gallant has himself said that he uses analytics in his decision-making process. I like analytics to an extent, but I don't think they should remotely form the basis for a coach's decisions. It's supporting data and doesn't always paint a clear picture on its own. I'm in agreement that I'm not concerned about Gallant at all.

His situation in Florida was complicated by a mess in leadership. Tallon hired Gallant when he was GM, but Tallon was moved out of the GM position in favor of Tom Rowe and his analytics cronies. Gallant was eventually let go by Rowe who also took up interim coaching duties. Rowe was demoted after that season and Tallon was brought back in as the general manager. Gallant seemed to be an unfortunate casualty of a warring front office.

Understood, but it doesn't explain why there are some terrible coaches still around, and he didn't coach this year at all.

Because there have only been two coaching vacancies since he was relieved in January of last year. Could be that he didn't want to coach for either the Devils or Wild.