• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

You have to admit that this would be an amazing, amazing leap of faith by a franchise though. If he doesn’t succeed, what then?

I mean there's no guarantee anybody will succeed, that why I think you hire the person and not the resume. Drury should see this, he just got his whole front office fired because half of the teams in the league wanted to pull him away from us and give him his first GM job because of who is and how smart he is so we handed him the whole organization.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have comparison for hockey, but I'm a huge Padres fan. They hired a first time Manager in Andy Green and he failed, was disliked by his players, they quit on him and was fired. Then last offseason they had to make the next hire. Everyone was pushing for a veteran replacement and Ron Washington and Tony LaRussa were at the top of the list. However we have a very bright and forward thinking GM and he went outside the box and hired Jayce Tingler, a coach nobody had heard of, who had only been an assistant and whose only managing experience came from the Dominican summer league. It was all based on his mind and the kind of person and leader he was.

That has proven to be the correct move and it was done because he hired the guy who would use his players best, cared about analytics and would give his team the best chance to win. You hire based on who can win in the future, not who has won in the past because sports league are ever evolving and sometimes having won in the past can be a hinderance toward evolving along with the sport. Give me the smartest guy every time. I'll take Hallam or Knoblauch, not somebody who just got fired from someplace else for not getting it done.

Which works fine in San Diego, but under the microscope in NYC is an entirely different thing....

They're built like the Torts-era Rangers without a 40-goal scorer.

Right. You see names like Laine and Domi, and you think they'd be doing better. But Domi is fucking terrible and Laine has pretty much stated that he's disinterested in hockey unless he can just stand around and tee up for clappers.

It's ridiculous to blame the team's decline on Torts. He lost his team's best player and goaltender in the same offseason. They were ravaged by injuries for most of last season.

Sure, Panarin went on to produce better here in NY but he also had talent around him. He had a powerplay unit that wasn't just him, Foligno, Atkinson, Jones, and Werenski. His line wasn't the only line that teams had to match up against. Panarin developed clear chemistry with a linemate in Strome and credited him for helping with his career year. It's not as though Torts was holding Panarin back because both of his seasons in Columbus were also career years. It's almost like he's just continuously getting better and also now benefiting from better surroundings.

Anybody but. Boudreau has proven he can get to the party, but he invariably goes home alone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The same was said about Keenan.

His teams have made the playoffs 10 out of 14 times as a coach. ,484% winning percentage in the playoffs. I don't think many match up to that. What coaches that are out there even made it to a finals, much less won one? This measuring stick should eliminate every option then, except Torts..He's gotten very good results from some pretty blah teams. He fits this roster.

That dude wanted out.

So yes, a Torts' team.

The Rangers now, Not a Tort's team.

Gaborik wanted out yet had two of the best seasons of his career under Torts. Nash and Stepan were both electric under him in the lockout season. Players are capable of succeeding under Torts. Not everyone has the backbone.

I think this gets overblown, who is and what's the standard?

7 seasons in TB

6 seasons in Columbus

5 seasons in NY

1 in Van

I guess we can harp on Van, does he have a shelf life, yes, do they all I believe they do. His isn't nearly as bad as it's portrayed to be.

This, even though I don't think he's a fit for this roster.

He should be the choice if they have any balls. Better that than these re-treads. Would change the game. Heavy into analytics and using his players properly and all about character. We zig while they zag. I hope at the very least he gets an assistant job.

Does he speak English? Is his translator going to yell at them on the bench for him?

I don't have comparison for hockey, but I'm a huge Padres fan. They hired a first time Manager in Andy Green and he failed, was disliked by his players, they quit on him and was fired. Then last offseason they had to make the next hire. Everyone was pushing for a veteran replacement and Ron Washington and Tony LaRussa were at the top of the list. However we have a very bright and forward thinking GM and he went outside the box and hired Jayce Tingler, a coach nobody had heard of, who had only been an assistant and whose only managing experience came from the Dominican summer league. It was all based on his mind and the kind of person and leader he was.

That has proven to be the correct move and it was done because he hired the guy who would use his players best, cared about analytics and would give his team the best chance to win. You hire based on who can win in the future, not who has won in the past because sports league are ever evolving and sometimes having won in the past can be a hinderance toward evolving along with the sport. Give me the smartest guy every time. I'll take Hallam or Knoblauch, not somebody who just got fired from someplace else for not getting it done.

I mean there's no guarantee anybody will succeed, that why I think you hire the person and not the resume. Drury should see this, he just got his whole front office fired because half of the teams in the league wanted to pull him away from us and give him his first GM job because of who is and how smart he is so we handed him the whole organization.

The analogy is lost on me, but the smartest guy isn't always the right guy. Dallas Eakins was the smartest guy, too. Sometimes they just don't work.

I don’t know what the underlying issues with Gallant are.

But god damn, what he did with that Vegas team is one of the most impressive coaching performances I’ve seen for ages. Not going to lie, I’m very intrigued. Literally the exact opposite of watching Quinn’s team trying to outshinny teams night after night.

I don’t know what the underlying issues with Gallant are.

But god damn, what he did with that Vegas team is one of the most impressive coaching performances I’ve seen for ages. Not going to lie, I’m very intrigued. Literally the exact opposite of watching Quinn’s team trying to outshinny teams night after night.

And before that, Florida.

He’s a very solid NHL coach.

But I do not believe that there will be a reunion even if Tortorella has maintained warm relationships with Jim Dolan and Glen Sather in the aftermath of his dismissal following 2012-13. This is not the right time for a coach whose eternal instinct is to break down players before building them back up in his own image. This is not the time for a coach who endorses confrontation as a constructive tool in team-building.

He has been successful following that path in varying degrees in all of his stops except Vancouver. His influence sure took hold on Broadway. But the first time around Tortorella had Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Dan Girardi, Derek Stepan, Marc Staal, Ryan McDonagh and Henrik Lundqvist to mold, a far different cast of characters than Alexis Lafreniere, Kaapo Kakko, Vitali Kravtsov, Adam Fox, Filip Chytil, presumably Nils Lundkvist and Igor Shesterkin.

Plus, his first time around there was a fissure with Marian Gaborik, the team’s most talented athlete. Talented players left Columbus during his term that ended with this year’s finale. It is believed that a significant part of the reason David Quinn was dismissed on Wednesday by president-general manager Chris Drury is the disconnect that developed between the coach and his marquee talent players as the season evolved.

Another time and another place, Hartford coach Kris Knoblauch would be among the most serious persons of interest to fill the vacancy off of his performance as acting coach for the six games and 11-day stretch Quinn and his assistants were quarantined under COVID protocols. The Blueshirts responded, appeared more relaxed under the acting coach and went 4-2 with Knoblauch behind the bench.

But this is not the time for a first-time NHL coach. Drury is seeking a coach with experience and backdrop of NHL success to take the baton from Quinn and take command of the program.

Sources have indicated that Gerard Gallant, who engineered the revival of the Panthers before taking the Golden Knights to the Cup final in the expansion team’s inaugural season, is at the top of the list and should expect an interview with Drury forthwith.

Gallant believes in up-tempo, puck-pursuit, puck-pressure hockey. He was successful with a very young group in Florida that featured 20-year-old Aleksander Barkov, 19-year-old Aaron Ekblad, 22-year-olds Jonathan Huberdeau and Vincent Trocheck as core pieces. They combined with 43-year-old Jaromir Jagr and 36-year-old netminder Roberto Luongo in leading the Puddy Tats to the 2016 playoffs before Gallant was kicked to the curb the following year after a philosophical fallout with ownership.

I talked with several individuals in the league familiar with Gallant. Their scouting reports were close to identical. To wit: Gallant is a no-nonsense guy who commands respect, communicates well with his players and staff but not necessarily the media and public. He is low-key and shuns the spotlight, but is not necessarily known for bringing structure to a team. He can coach prospects but cuts them little slack.

Perusing his resume, I found it interesting that in each of his previous three stops, the first in Columbus beginning in 2003-04, he was fired during the middle of his third season. That does not represent much of a shelf life.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/12/rangers-coach-search-gerard-gallant-at-top-of-list/

Gaborik wanted out yet had two of the best seasons of his career under Torts. Nash and Stepan were both electric under him in the lockout season. Players are capable of succeeding under Torts. Not everyone has the backbone.

Difference between Tortorella and Babcock is Tortorella lays out your role, and while he might scream, he is direct, honest and decent. Every player knows where he stands. There are lots of people who grew up in Irish or Italian households who learned screaming is not a big deal, it's how people make a point sometimes. Not saying he's a lock to lead this team to playoff success, but Tortorella checks a lot of the boxes of things this team needs right now.

Like what Knoblauch did in a small sample, but they aren't gonna hire another neophyte NHL coach.

Good call Bugg - I started this and walked away while you posted yours.

It would be the absolute worst case scenario for Larry if Torts were to return so there's that as well. I wouldn't write him off yet especially if Gallant for whatever reason would prefer to build from the ground up in Seattle like he did in LV or he chooses to avoid a guy like Dolan. Larry mentions he's not much of a media guy which could be a big turn off here??

Good call Bugg - I started this and walked away while you posted yours.

It would be the absolute worst case scenario for Larry if Torts were to return so there's that as well. I wouldn't write him off yet especially if Gallant for whatever reason would prefer to build from the ground up in Seattle like he did in LV or he chooses to avoid a guy like Dolan. Larry mentions he's not much of a media guy which could be a big turn off here??

It's not like as a Rangers coach you really have to face much media attention. Maybe more than most other American markets but nowhere near anything in Canada. It's not a position that requires being much of a face.

It's not like as a Rangers coach you really have to face much media attention. Maybe more than most other American markets but nowhere near anything in Canada. It's not a position that requires being much of a face.

true but compared to Columbus, Florida and Vegas it sure is.

I do wonder what went so horribly wrong that his stint in FL ended the way it did.

Put me firmly in the "No to Torts" group. I don't dislike him but his act wears me out sometimes. Not a big fan of a coach that seems to enjoy the limelight a little too much. I know sometimes he does that to protect his players but I'd rather be talking about Panarin's amazing plays then discussing Torts' most recent antics.

Where is Quenneville these days? Talk about success.....

Bring in Toews for the vet leadership.

Grab Lucic at 50% and now we have some real fodder to discuss.....

Reinventing the earlier part of this decade!

Winning at a .700 clip in FL.

The Toews situation is a potentially serious one. Having said nothing since Dec. when he said he was experiencing an unknown condition leaving him feeling drained and lethargic. He'missed the entire season.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2021/3/5/22315930/no-we-dont-have-right-to-know-whats-wrong-with-jonathan-toews-but-blackhawks-stan-bowman